Movies Like Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World

90% Outlander: Season 1

Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World Reviews

Red L

December 23, 2011
Interesting to see how naval battles were fought in the early 1800's. If only they knew then what we know now. To the chagrin of some of his senior crew, Cptn Jack Aubrey sets out to defeat a technically superior ship.
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

November 11, 2011
Master and Commander based on the Aubrey/Maturin novels by historical author Patrick O'Brian is, unfortunately a mediocre film that doesn't quite cut it. The books are terrific, filled to the brim with rich descriptions of that time. The novels are beautifully written, highly entertaining and above all brilliant. But, this is not the case with this film adaptation. Before, I go any further, I loved the look of the film, and I thought director Peter Weir captured the look of the period perfectly. Unfortunately, a good looking film doesn't necessarily mean it's a good film. Master and Commander is a mediocre film that could have been much better than this, considering that the books are wonderful. Despite the somewhat lacking material on-screen, the performances delivered by the actors, especially Crowe and Bettany are terrific. I've enjoyed what I read by Patrick O'Brian and love the historical aspect of his works. Unfortunately, Master and Commander is a boring film that nothing happens for long periods of time. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love films where it takes time for the plot to unfold, but unlike the book, this film went nowhere. I saw this in the theatre and the audience seemed bored. Peter Weir is a good director, but with this film, he just doesn't cut it. Considering that the books are filled with adventure, action and are exciting to read; the film adaptation of Master and Commander could have been an exhilarating adventure film, and though it somewhat captures the essence of novel, this is a mediocre film that doesn't deliver what the books do so well. If you haven't seen this film, read the books instead, they're better and better conceived. Master and Commander for me was a disappointment.
cosmo313
cosmo313

July 27, 2006
2003 was an interesting year for nautical films. A revival of sorts almost happened, but not quite. In that year there was Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl and this film. While that one was a rip-roaring action film that proved to be great for popcorn entertainment, this film takes a more intelligent and artsy approach, proving to be a technical masterpiece that will mostly appeal only to some, namely due to lots of quiet moments of dialogue, sparse action scenes, and a greater eye for attention to detail and period accuracy.

This film has a story, and it's a good one, but it's not about the plot. It's more about the characters, namely the two principals: the strong captain played by Russell Crowe, and his friend- the ship's docter and naturalist played by Paul Bettany. Both are terrific in their roles, drawing apt comparisons to Sherlock Holmes and Watson.

This is not a film for everyone though. A lot of people may find it boring, and I'll admit, there could have been another action scene or two, and some more development with some of the other characters, but all in all, I found this to be a very fascinating film. I know some but not a lot about the nautical world of this time period, but from what I do know, this film gets a great deal of it correct, and that's something I really appreciate. If you ever wanted to know about the ins and outs of being on a early 19th Century British warship, than this is the film for you.

The film was nominated for many Academy Awards, but only came away with a couple. One of those, however, was for cinematography, and that one was well deserved. Then again, this is a Peter Weir film, so I kind of expected that. I also liked that the film used a mixture of techniques to get thingsdone, including models and replicas, instead of putting too great of a reliance on cg. Something I found quite striking was the music. There's not as much of it as you might think, adding to the atmosphere and setting greatly.

If you want a movie that is both thrilling (at times), yet has very high artistic merits, then you really need to see this. Despite a few nitpicks, I thought it was amazing. There needs to be some sequels to this one, and I'm surprised they haven't happened yet. Someone make it happen.
Alice S

May 10, 2011
I dunno...maybe it's cuz for the last two years, I was conditioned to hate Russell Crowe, or maybe it's cuz the future of a relationship hinges upon my liking of the movie, and I subconsciously judged it on a higher caliber because Justin was lukewarm about The 400 Blows :~P...I just wasn't terribly into it.

Russell Crowe isn't bad necessarily; his character just isn't that compelling. Jack Aubrey is morally upright, albeit tempestuous at times, and his mood swings and rash decisions are somewhat predictable. He is overshadowed by the good doctor, brilliantly played by Paul Bettany, whom I like, even though the only other movie I remember him in is Wimbledon... The self-surgery scene is horrifically intense.

Nevertheless, props to the movie for eschewing the swashbuckling fun of the Pirates franchise and instead, portraying the gritty violence and danger of the high seas.
DreamExtractor
DreamExtractor

March 6, 2011
A great film, wiyh cool action scenes, and great acting. But just doesn't have that certain spark to be perfect
Anthony L

December 6, 2010
Master and Commander for me was the return of the Peter Weir I love. The last Weir film I really liked was The Mosquito Coast made back in 1986. Master & Commander came out at a time were 'Epics' were rife, and the fact that Crowe had the lead role, I thought this would be another case of 'Here we go again', thankfully, I was wrong. There is so much more to this film than it just being another 'Swashbuckler' but I have to say, I really can't stand Billy Boyd. Thankfully, that was probably my only criticism.
Cindy I

May 11, 2007
I should have been more impressed with this, but it wasn't to be. When it was nominated for Best Picture, I told myself "I need to see that," and then remembered that I already had...and in the theatre yet.
nelsonpickens
nelsonpickens

May 26, 2010
Definitely one of the greatest adventure movie ever made. Not only is it entertaining it also says a little bit about the military and the fascist structure of a navy boat. Russell Crowe was able to play a person and not a character, but one who killed.
Daniel Mumby
Daniel Mumby

March 26, 2010
It would be very hard for any director to follow The Truman Show, even if that director was Peter Weir. Having proved himself to be adept with period dramas (Dead Poets' Society), romantic comedies (Green Card) and religious thrillers (Witness), Weir sets his sights in Master and Commander on the good old-fashioned historical epic. Drawing on his great work in Gallipoli, his adaptation of Patrick O'Brian's series of novels is a very fine effort, combining character drama and frenetic action in an excellent balance. It isn't perfect, nor is it Weir's finest work, but it still comes with a hearty recommendation.

Although its historical setting and level of resulting pomp may tempt comparisons with Barry Lyndon and Mutiny on the Bounty, Master and Commander is closest in its themes and orchestration to Ridley Scott's Gladiator. Both films are about duty and honour, and how these values often come into conflict with our humanity and capacity for friendship. Both films also benefit from the presence of Russell Crowe, although there is a key difference in character. Where Maximus is driven only to serve, and hence makes a reluctant hero, Jack Aubrey is a born leader who revels in both the rough glamour of naval life and the strict discipline associated with the uniform.

At the centre of Master and Commander is a discussion on the nature and function of leadership, epitomised by the difficult friendship of Captain Aubrey and Dr. Steven Maturin, played by Paul Bettany. Their conversations scattered throughout the film are the high points of the story, helping to explain Aubrey's decisions while never justifying him unconditionally. While Aubrey is portrayed as a sympathetic character and a lovable rogue, he is not a perfect hero who commands universal adoration. Even Nelson's character is questioned during an early scene, with one officer commenting that he was not so much a great sailor as a great leader.

Bettany's character is the voice of calm and humanistic reason, someone who attempts to counter Aubrey's potentially lethal cocktail of duty and pride. He delivers great lines about how leaders become so quickly corrupted, and how scientific progress can be neglected in the pursuit of fruitless war -- to which Aubrey can only shout, "We have no time for your damned hobbies Sir!". Their friendship grows deeper and more complex as the film rolls on, so that we forgive them even when they are badly miming their instruments in the final scene.

The distant and claustrophobic feel of the H.M.S. Surprise is the perfect means to explore the ways in which men cope with the horrors of war. Richard Roeper was right on the money when he compared the Acheron to the shark in Jaws: in both cases the nature of the monster is always suggested or rumoured rather than shown or explained, and the terror that results from withholding it increases our involvement in the story. The men respond to the Acheron and the subsequent calamities which befall the Surprise in a variety of interesting ways. Some trust stoically in the Captain, while others grumble and look to Hollom as a scapegoat.

As with The Truman Show, the great success of Master and Commander is that it is able to explore all these complex ideas and relationships whilst all the time remaining light-hearted and enjoyable. It's a classic case of what Weir does best, combining intense and intelligent character drama with a warm and welcoming sense of humour.

On the one hand, we have the discussions surrounding Hollom, who is branded 'the Jonah' by the crew and blamed for the lack of rain. The pressure on Hollom becomes so great that he believes himself to be cursed, and ultimately takes his own life to escape the pain. On the other hand, we have the 'two weevils' sequence, which is worth the price of admission alone. Aubrey plays a witty joke on Maturin and we find ourselves chuckling with as much mirth as the drunken sailors. The fact that we laugh as much as them shows that Weir has completely immersed us in the period, so that something we would normally consider poor becomes the funniest thing in the world.

On top of its substance, the film is visually ravishing. Russell Boyd's cinematography is so great that you can almost feel the salt running over your skin as the waves smash against the deck. On several occasions the camera lingers on an object, like the scale model of the Acheron or the doctor's notebook, and captures them in exquisite detail like a still life. The intimate dining room scenes with the open candles are like a brighter, more mirth-ridden version of Barry Lyndon, and the interior scenes in general are reminiscent of the work of Peter Greenaway, in their composition and artful nature.

Weir is a great director when it comes to crowd sequences, really knowing how to construct shots involving dozens of people in which every single character on screen appears to be doing something important and self-motivated. The scenes with the native boats, or any shots of the whole deck, look meticulously planned and yet very organic, with no-one just idly wandering into shot. The battle scenes are frenetic and tense, with the close camerawork putting us on deck with the characters and Richard King's sound effects editing brilliantly replicating the atmosphere of gunfire.

For all these plus points, there are a couple of troubling weaknesses. The first is that, despite being shorter than both Gladiator and The Return of the King, the film is not as disciplined as one might expect. Weir's direction of individual scenes is solid and meticulous, but both the very beginning and very ending of the film feel rather loose. Compared to The Truman Show, in which every single shot felt the perfect length and full of meaning, little sections in this do run on for too long, such as the extent of the crew's conversations about 'the Jonah'.

Like several other book-to-film adaptations, it feels like a lot of information has been compressed into one film. This manages to do a better job than Brideshead Revisited or some of the Harry Potter films, since it lifts chapters from several of O'Brian's novels. But the result of this is not just that purists may be offended, but that the ending is rather weak and open. It's as though Weir and his producers were unsure whether or not they wanted this to have a sequel (which Weir eventually ruled out in 2005 due to the film's lower-than-expected takings).

Despite these little problems, you can't really fault Master and Commander as either a romping action film or a faithfully complex adaptation of the much-loved books. It remains focussed on its characters throughout, is meticulously written and shot, and is a very accessible film which can be enjoyed whatever one's mood. The small flaws are generally forgivable in light of its obvious strengths, coupled with fine supporting performances by David Threlfall and Billy Boyd. It's not up there with The Truman Show, but it's still a solid effort, which bodes well for Weir's upcoming return.
Dan S

October 25, 2009
A beautiful, underrated work of art that is anchored by two believable and compelling performances from both Russell Crowe and Paul Bettany. It's been a while since I've seen it, but I remembered liking it a lot. It's an excellent adventure film that features an explosive ending, and some gorgeous cinematography.
TomBowler
TomBowler

August 2, 2009
amazing epic adventure film. russell crowe is great.
Jeremy S

May 15, 2006
Return to the authentic Adventure film. Gives a startling insight into the life of the British fleet with a compelling story to sustain.
FilmFanatik
FilmFanatik

January 24, 2007
I can never get enough of Russell Crowe. This film is a great joy to behold. I never get tired of watching it.
vieras e

February 3, 2008
I wasn't that much captivated by the story, but I do like watching old-fashioned tall ships and stormy oceans.
Megan S

January 19, 2008
Apparently I've seen this movie but I don't remember it at all.
LorenzoVonMatterhorn
LorenzoVonMatterhorn

January 3, 2008
What impressed me about this movie as much as the historical recreation of this era in the Royal Navy was the lack of pretense and the determination to stick to the language and attitudes of the day. Instead of resorting to trendy dialogue or contemporary humour to cheaply gain laughter, Master and Commander aims to be a landmark film that can be appreciated in the long-term as well as the short. The film makes the viewer think of what these sailors must have experienced at a time when Britain, through competition with other European countries, was determined to rule the waves. Here's hoping for a sequel or two!
Edward B

April 24, 2007
Drags on for much too long, but it is engaging enough to depict real ship life at war.
FiLmCrAzY
FiLmCrAzY

November 4, 2007
i love this film its excellent
very very moving
lost for words but very worth a watch
Al S

October 7, 2006
A spectacular high sea's adventure. Astonishing. Roushing. Excellent. Powerful. Exroadinary. Russel Crowe gives a truly outstanding movie star performance. Paul Bettaney gives a brilliant performance. Riveting drama and exciting swashbuckling epic action sequences. A splendid historical adventure. Thrilling and exhilerating. Truly magnificent and breathtaking.