Masters of the Universe (1987)
Average Rating: 3.3/10
Reviews Counted: 17
Fresh: 3 | Rotten: 14
No consensus yet.
Average Rating: N/A
Critic Reviews: 4
Fresh: 0 | Rotten: 4
Average Rating: 2.6/5
User Ratings: 48,115
Dolph Lundgren stars in this live-action film version of the popular television cartoon series (based on a collection of Mattel action figures). Lundgren is He-Man, a well-muscled super-hero, battling the evil Skeletor (Frank Langella) for control of the universe. Skeletor has designs on conquering the planet Eternia, a ravaged utopia ruled over by the Sorceress of Greyskull Castle (Christina Pickles). He-Man is summoned to stop Skeletor's plans. But when the wily dwarf Gwildor (Billy Barty)
Aug 7, 1987 Wide
Oct 23, 2001
Sorceress of Castle ...
Robert Duncan McNeil...
Anthony De Longis
No Friends? Inconceivable! Log in to see what your friends have to say.
There are lots of flashes and bangs, but the effects are neither special nor camp enough to be more than vaguely amusing.
Their weapons make a Fourth of July sparkler show, but they almost never hit anybody.
It is by no means a masterpiece, but it still possesses some keen schlock value for fans of eighties cinema.
The first film to be based on a line of toys, this might not be the last, but it'd take something awful to replace it as the worst.
There are some decent special effects, but overall it's about what you'd expect from a movie inspired by a line of toys.
Goddard does a good job of bringing the characters to life....a treat for the fans
Halfway through this live action version of the popular early 1980s kiddies TV show, I wondered what I had done wrong to deserve all this pain and suffering.
I'm not saying He-Man deserved all that brilliant of a movie ... but this thing's a freaking disaster.
Audience Reviews for Masters of the Universe
Movies Like Masters of the Universe
- Sorceress of Castle Greyskull: Men who crave power look back over the mistakes of their lives, pile them all together, and call it 'destiny.'
- Sorceress of Castle Greyskull: The dark can embrace the light, but never eclipse it.
- Skeletor: Yes! Let this be our final battle!
- Skeletor: Everything comes to he who waits. And I have waited so very long for this moment.
- Skeletor: I must possess all, or I possess nothing.
- Narrator: At the center of the universe, at the boarder between the light and the dark stands Castle Greyskull. For countless eons the sorceress of Greyskull has kept this universe in harmony, but the armies of darkness shall not rest and the capture of greyskull is ever most in their minds. For to those who controls Greyskull comes the power, the power to be supreme, the power to be all mighty, the power to be.... masters of the universe.
Discuss Masters of the Universe on our Movie forum!
Latest News on Masters of the Universe
October 8, 2013:Jon M. Chu Drops Out of Masters of the Universe
His move was reportedly triggered by a studio-mandated rewrite from "Lone Ranger" co-writer Terry...
July 30, 2013:Jon M. Chu Talks Masters of the Universe
He's "really, really excited" to bring He-Man back to theaters.
March 20, 2013:Jon M. Chu Wants Dolph Lundgren for Masters of the Universe
Somewhere, Frank Langella sits patiently by his phone.