RT on DVD: Max Payne, Saw V, King Kong on Blu-ray

Plus Repo! The Genetic Opera, City of Ember and more.

8. Moonlight The Complete Series

Since 2008 was the year of the vampire, why not add another romance-tinged vamp property to your Netflix queue? While it didn't quite find the success of Twilight or HBO's Golden Globe-winning series, True Blood, the CBS show Moonlight had a full season run before being cancelled last year. (Okay, reviews were pretty bad, but who doesn't need more vampire romance in their life?)

Moonlight's first and only season introduces the viewer to Mick St. John (Alex O'Loughlin), a vampire/private eye ethically opposed to killing innocent humans. His love life is complicated by an attraction to human Beth Turner (Sophia Myles, playing an "internet reporter") and his vampire ex-wife, Coraline (Shannyn Sossamon). Get all 16 episodes on four discs (but no additional extra features).

Next: Powerpuff Girls Complete Set

Comments

vitajex

Mike M

Max Payne was AWFUL!!!!

I remember sitting in the movie with my buddy and like 8 other strangers. Just about every 10 minutes or so was something on the screen that made me gasp at the idiocy.

It was like watching a 3 year old try to power up a nuclear reactor.

"No, no, sweetie. Not like that. You have that backwards. No, don't put that there..."

Jan 19 - 03:35 PM

jokerboy1991

jack giroux

LOL I have Max Payne coming from Netflix tomorrow, should be funny. I also have City of Ember coming tomorrow from Netflix which I think looks decent. Also guys, just rented Death Race. It was hilarious! All day I have been quoting lines from that movie. "You wanna F^ck with me, we'll see who *****s on the side walk"- Joan Allen. Tyrese Gybson plays such a stereotype which is awesome and is actually gay in the movie. The movie is so preposterous, bad dialogue, but it is fun.

Jan 19 - 03:45 PM

jokerboy1991

jack giroux

Also the power puff box set, BALLN!

Jan 19 - 03:46 PM

vitajex

Mike M

jokerboy, I think you have enough sense to see Max Payne for the turd it is.

Try to get drunk first, because it's not really funny-bad, just sigh-bad.

Jan 19 - 03:54 PM

jokerboy1991

jack giroux

LOL I think when Marky Mark is bad, he is laughable bad. I am still laughing at him in The Happening.

Jan 19 - 04:58 PM

jokerboy1991

jack giroux

Jan 19 - 04:58 PM

blattman

Mike Greenblatt

I liked Repo for what it was. A rock oprea, and well told. Great performances from all, especially Anthony Head.

Jan 19 - 06:31 PM

Mr. Bo Ziffer

Mr. Bo Ziffer

Saw V was okay. It was better than III and IV, but they should have stopped after the first movie. I'm willing to give Repo a rental, but I don't think Bousman is a great director (Saw III and IV and his segment on Fear Itself both sucked). My friend actually recommended Max Payne to me, but I think I'm going to go with you guys on this one. I haven't seen King Kong in a while. I might have to give it another shot.

Jan 19 - 06:35 PM

lestatthevampire

Tyler D

My boy just gave me the Max Payne game for PS2... never played it. Should I see the movie or play the game first?

Jan 19 - 07:25 PM

Mr. Bo Ziffer

Mr. Bo Ziffer

Play the game. And from what I hear, never see the movie.

Jan 19 - 07:33 PM

Zaraki

Rick V

Judging from past video game movies...stick to the game. A video game movie is NEVER better than the games, because Hollywood doesn't care about the source material. The game is really good, too.

oh, don't even get me started on how Paul Anderson r**ed the Resident Evil series :P that's a prime example of bad VG movies!

Jan 19 - 07:53 PM

Mr. Bo Ziffer

Mr. Bo Ziffer

Play the game. And from what I hear, never see the movie.

Jan 19 - 07:33 PM

Zaraki

Rick V

Jan 19 - 07:53 PM

inactive user

Jared King

Leave it to the guy who has Pennywise as a picture to like "Saw". I'm just playing with ya homey.

blattman, you're a friend and I trust your taste, but Repo looks SO horrible.

jokerboy "Man, that's one angry homo!"
"Release the Dreadnought."
Hilarious movie! I liked "Death Race" a lot more than I thought I would.

Anyway I watched many shows back in the 90's, and the only thing special about "Powerpuff Girls" I remember is... MOJO JO JO! An okay cartoon, not up to the likes of "Animaniacs" or "Batman" as far as 90's cartoons go.

You know what movies like "Bloodrayne", "Hitman", or "Max Payne" have in common besides they're both adaptions of video games. They're adaptions of mediocre video games. "Super Mario Bros." film and "Resident Evil" movies are nothing to emulate, but at least they're adaptions of great games. So lesty, don't see the movie OR play the game.

Jan 19 - 08:17 PM

inactive user

Jared King

By the way, does anyone else but me find the 2005 version of "King Kong" better than the orginal besides me? I'd say it's the best movie of 2005.

Jan 19 - 08:21 PM

jokerboy1991

jack giroux

No I loved Peter Jackson's King Kong, I thought it was awesome and gets too much crap. Also in some ways I would say it is a better movie then the original, I do love the original too though.

Jan 19 - 09:20 PM

Zaraki

Rick V

Hell yeah, i love the new king kong and the original! (i hate the 70s remake however >_>) And GOD NO to King Kong Lives :P

MooSE, that post requires no real response, insulting and speaking in a boorish manner just shows you lack the maturity to have a real conversation.

Jan 19 - 10:41 PM

Iceman Cometh

Adam Levin

i'm with you ledawg. when king kong destroys those 3 t-rexs at the same, i jizz in my pants everytime

Jan 20 - 09:28 AM

Jen Yamato

Jen Yamato

abl2k2 - While I didn't have quite the same reaction as you, I did rewatch that one scene (Kong vs. the T-rexes) on Blu-ray and it's INCREDIBLE. I recommend the BD, if only to watch select scenes on their own.

Jan 20 - 09:34 AM

DivineCC

Bill Pyle

Tyrant, most video games don't have enough material for a movie, which is why they always change things. The majority of the game is actual gameplay, not cut scenes. Its very tough translating gameplay into a movie. I'm not defending hollywood either, I can just understand partially why video game movies suck.

Jan 19 - 08:35 PM

Zaraki

Rick V

In the case of Resident Evil though, there is a TON to work with. But it was just never utilized. I do however agree with you that for the most part, that can be said for a lot of VG movies.

Jan 19 - 08:43 PM

Zaraki

Rick V

Woops, i wasn't clear. I meant that i agree with you that there isn't a lot of material for a huge portion of VG movies, so some changes are warranted. But seriously, how could they stray so far from the RE games..... I can understand some differences, but the third had absolutely nothing to do with the RE story, and the second barely followed it.

Jan 19 - 08:46 PM

Jan 19 - 09:20 PM

Zaraki

Rick V

Jan 19 - 10:41 PM

Xx MooSE xX

brian kochaniuk

you people think you're so phuckin wise, and know what it takes to make a good video game movie, yet none of u are making them, you're sitting here bitching about the people who are, not saying payne was perfect, but it was good enough. If you played the games, you'd know this. RE was fine too, since when is good looking women kicking *** a bad thing? When you're gay, thats when. HOMOS!!

Jan 19 - 10:13 PM

inactive user

Jared King

Xx MooSE xX, I suppose you pride yourself on being a complete idiot.

jokerboy, I'm glad I'm not alone. I do like the orginal as well. How's a remake to "King Kong Lives"! ;)

Jan 19 - 10:21 PM

Zaraki

Rick V

Jan 19 - 10:41 PM

rockclmbr6

Sean Doherty

I actually really loved the remake of King Kong. I love Naomi Watts and I thought it had some of the most thrilling action sequences I've seen in a long time. I may pick it up on Blu-ray eventually.

And I may give Max Payne a rent...keeping in mind that I will probably hate it.

Jan 20 - 04:28 AM