Max Payne Reviews

June 3, 2009
Kunis and Wahlberg are not bad. Thats the best I can do. Decent effects for an action movie but no where as cool as the games it was based off of.
½ August 1, 2013
A Payne-fully dull and predictable hard-boiled thriller occasionally interrupted by half-way decent John Woo-style action sequences.
February 8, 2009
Sort of hit or miss throughout for me. Parts were interesting, revenge is always a good story base, I know nothing about the game it's been adapted from, but feel it would have been more enjoyable to model it on the graphic novel adaptions. Some important clues were easily guessible and parts were action packed, others a little static.
½ August 24, 2008
I haven't played the games, of which a third is due out soon?! So I can only merit it as a film in its own right. Aware of poor reviews, I wasn't aware too much of the story behind the games, other than a cop who hands out his own rough justice. It was an interesting film but I think most expected a lot more action, or maybe more blood and violence. Instead it's more of a film noir thriller. The visuals are impressive, not just the cgi angels but the overall cinematography. The action gets better towards the end with a good shoot-out, but overall it needed a bit more throughout. A good surprising cast line up though!
movieguru12
April 23, 2011
A really good action movie. Mark Wahlberg & Mila Kunis were great in this film.
½ January 22, 2011
I don't hate 'Max Payne'. Hated by the public upon initial release, both the audiences and the critics gave negative reactions to this. While I didn't like it, it wasn't nearly as terrible as I was led to believe. I enjoyed Mark Wahlberg and Mila Kunis, and found the action to be pretty impressive from a technical standpoint, making 'Max Payne' watchable.
½ June 3, 2011
Just about as bad as its reputation. The only thing good about Max Payne is the way it looks. The set design, style and overall feeling is great. However, the story and characters are so outlandish and stupid that you can't enjoy the movie at all. It takes itself so seriously and therefore you can't really accept the totally bizarre and outlandish elements that are brought in. Sadly, they also missed out on letting Mark Wahlberg go full throttle with his bad cop routine (which he can do in his sleep). This is just a series of bad vignettes that amount to absolutely nothing. I have no idea what was trying to be accomplished with the blue drugs and flying demons, but it just came off as ridiculous.
DreamExtractor
April 6, 2011
The movie wasn't horrible, it was just bad. The plot is so boring and uninteresting now I want to see if they really made a game on this. The acting was okay, nothing award winning. The action and effects were okay, there was nothing new. The camerawork was actually really good if you pay attention. The music was nothing special, I wasn't impressed by anything I heard. The movie had so much potential, but down the line something went wrong.
October 13, 2008
Without knowing the game this film is based on, I can only talk about this from the cinematic point of view. It is starting out like a crime noir thriller with lots of characters, most of which die the minute they appear, leaving very few to suspect as the villains in this. Accordingly the plot has very few surprises to offer and no part of the investigation makes this movie any more interesting. After an hour at least there is plenty of action for the remains of the film. The drug hallucination scenes are rather silly, though. In the end there is little you care about, if super-slo-mo-action sequences aren't enough to get you excited. Nothing to write home about whatsoever. Can't they just let the games stay games?
½ June 24, 2010
I really liked the movie. It's not great but I didn't think it was bad. A lot of people hate this movie. It could have been better since the game was awesome. It wasn't so close to the game people complained about it and I was a little dissapointed too but the movie turned out decent. I've heard that a lot of people hate so much because they were bored out of their minds and said there was no action. I was never bored and the movie does have a slower approach but there's a little bit of action spread out through the movie and then the last 30 minutes is all action. I know the movie has problems but I liked it. B
August 12, 2010
Simply
Hated
It
Totally
TheDudeLebowski65
½ July 15, 2010
Being a huge fan of the game in my mid teens, I anxiously waited for this film to be released. I just needed to see it. When I did, I got the surprise of my life. The film was terrible. I felt that the film over did it on so many levels and Mark Wahlbergs performance ruined the film. The only element they really kept the game was the surrealistic feel of the game and bits of the original story. But that was it. They totally butchered this film, and they could've done something very cool with this film. Set wise it's a great looking film, but as an action film, it's very bad and overall stupid.
½ July 6, 2010
revenge is best served by mark wahlberg! it took a hour, but damn did it get pretty bad ass.
½ June 4, 2009
yea i ended up seeing it alright. and it sucks. happy, Austin?!.... whoops i dont want you perverts to know my name. GREG. my names Greg. anyway, yes indeed it does suck. what the hell did you expect, the director hired Ludacris. i would watch this again when im 50 for a colon-cleansing. And i wont actually say anything about the movie, cause no-one will read this and i fear i will die of exhaustion trying to explain even the most minimal plot outlines. NOW GO OUTSIDE AND PLAY A SPORT FOR GOD'S SAKE.
The Gandiman
February 6, 2010
Max "pain" indeed.
January 14, 2010
I thought it was good, but it lacks on plot lines and doesn't stay true to the games!
ScoopOnline
December 8, 2009
A great action Movie.
LWOODS04
½ June 4, 2009
Mark Wahlberg, Mila Kunis, Chris O'Donnell

Coming together to solve a series of murders in New York City are a DEA agent (Wahlberg) whose family was slain as part of a conspiracy and an assassin (Kunis) out to avenge her sister's death. The duo will be hunted by the police, the mob, and a ruthless corporation.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This movie was a trip. A good one. Lots of action. Great performances. I enjoyed watching this movie more then I thought I would. It pulls you in right from the start. The storyline is really interesting and very different from anything I have ever watched. Of course there are hundreds of movies out there based on revenge, but the story behind his revenge is whats intriguing. Mark Wahlberg is the man to cast when doing an action movie, he was awesome. Really liked Mila Kunis in this movie too. Just a really good action flick that I think anyone who loves some action and explosions will love.
garyX
July 12, 2008
Burnt out cop Mark Wahlberg stumbles across a conspiracy involving a super-addictive drug that induces psychosis whilst investigating the case of his murdered family. Based on the Noir-inspired Rockstar game of the same name, Max Payne certainly looks the part. The fantastic visuals, although not in the same league as Sin City, capture the mood and style of the game perfectly, and the slo-mo gun battles that were the trademark of the game are very impressively staged. Unfortunately, as ever, the failings of the movie version can be laid squarely at the door of the script writer. Surely all he had to do was take the bare bones of the idea presented in the game's cut scenes and flesh out the character and story? But no, if anything the narrative we find here is even more skeletal. Max Payne was an incredibly intense and self-destructive character, but here he's just Bourne again, the characters all two dimensional and the story breathlessly episodic. I enjoyed it for the visuals and the impressive set pieces, but I have no particular desire to sit through it again. Hardly the worst video game adaptation (in fact it's actually one of the better ones) but it's purely fire and forget film making.