96% Guardians of the Galaxy Aug 01

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Maxed Out Reviews

Daniel P

October 1, 2011
A prophetic punch in the face to the credit card system that came years before someone (Obama) stepped in and changed the rules. I loved this movie for its leanness. Its message was obvious: credit card companies prey on least fortunate of all. The film didn't need multiiple viewpoints or balance, it just presented the facts. Staggering, you have to watch this. It's on par with Michael Moore's best work.
puffchunk
puffchunk

October 23, 2007
I really don't see how this won so many awards. "Credit Card companies and banks are screwing us over?! NO WAY!?" I was wanting more insider secrets and mind blowing statistics. Not to be found.
Sunil J

September 10, 2012
A decent effort but just feels like random interviews thrown together without exploring how people get to this point.
Sarah P

June 11, 2007
I thought it was really well put together and informative. My only complaint was that it didn't highlight any people that abuse credit or bankruptcy and had a very one-sided view of collection agencies as well. But this is something that everyone needs to see.
Wu C

February 14, 2009
Depressing doc that helps explain some of America's massive debt problems.
March 18, 2013
There are great lessons in this film about the perils of credit - but - like one who is hustled on the streets for not being street smart - if you believe that renting money does not have a cost - and you buy stuff you cannot afford - you will drown in debt in other words, you will get hustled.
I am a little distraught that this movie focused on only one side of the issue and not on the other side - the lack of personal responsibility. Nobody forced these people to get credit cards. If these vultures continue to exist, then we must educate our children not to become easy prey . . . especially when they hit college.
November 5, 2012
It sucks as a documentary (poor narration, no stats, few facts, few emotional highs) but excels at making its main point: debt or death. A country that allows this is a shitty country whoever's in the White House.
June 3, 2011
A very informative film. Not the greatest but it does what it is supposed to do. It depressed me a little since it was my last day of school and it showed me what is coming for me in the near future.
jscottcorley
August 14, 2009
Very scary. Easy to see how people fall into credit issues and never climb out. Credit card companies WANT people who have declared bankruptcy. In-san-ity.
January 8, 2009
I've always been wary of documentaries as they can easily be riddled with false information and one-sided opinions to make you believe what they want. This doc is no different. If you get one thing out of this, it's that it's far too easy to get into credit debt and one should avoid it unless necessary. There's a good section about the companies who buy bad credit. I never knew that millions in credit debt could be bought for next to nothing only for them to gamble on the fact you're going to pay on it.
January 2, 2009
This documentary was edited really well. Although it was far from unbiased and I didn't agree with a lot of the politics behind it...
December 21, 2008
Interesting, but emotionally manipulative in the wrong way and quite biased. However, there are still some important lessons to be learned in watching this.
dgogirlie
October 2, 2008
Not too much here I didn't already know, but it totally affected Randle. He wanted to cut up our cards.
goverjkg
May 26, 2008
Should be required viewing by all Americans. (Or, at the very least, required vieweing in either high school or the first semester of college).
sfarquhar1
May 2, 2008
not as good as i had hope should have got more in to it. nothing shocked me i hated the looking back at old films from the 50's and 60's got old. i want to see one that fits the average American better this was just about some of the big companies.
May 7, 2008
I felt this could have been a lot more impactful and informative to help people who actually face this problem. I find it hard to empathize with people who make poor decisions with money though. A credit card should be used as a debit card only under all circumstances. If you don't have the money upfront, it's too expensive for you to afford. Duh.
November 13, 2007
Maxed Out doesn't really reveal anything mind blowing that you don't already know. There are a few interesting facts about credit card companies and bills, but for the most part you already realize that these are businesses out to make money. You can probably save yourself 90 minutes and just pay off your credit card bills as quickly as possible.
March 4, 2007
This documentary was pretty depressing for me. Having struggled with debt myself for quite a number of years there wasn't a lot of surprising information here. The film does manage to clearly point out the severity of our nation's debt problem and the need for people to be aware of the predatory nature of the debt industry. If you've ever received a credit card application in the mail or been offered credit out of the blue, watch this film and find out why.
mrchicken5
August 4, 2007
Tells the truth about what that slip of plastic in your wallet. Really fucking depressing, when you think about it.
marden2
July 23, 2007
This is a good documentary. People with knowledge of the financial world will be deeply affected! The film fails to reach out to the people the documentary is about, the everyday guy being offered credit cards left and right, might end up missing the point.
Informational background on the way the financing world works put in a way that is accessible to regular people would be desired.