Maximum Overdrive - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Maximum Overdrive Reviews

March 1, 2015
Fun and funny until it totally isn't, "Maximum Overdrive" is a brutal, gory, and unnecessary film that strives too hard for a shock rather than focussing on a consistent story. It is odd saying that about a film written and directed by Stephen King, but seeing as this is the only film he has ever directed, that is not a surprise in the slightest. He has now found his footing elsewhere, but quite honestly, he had a rocky start to his career with this film. A series of freak occurrences during a Comet affecting the planet, causes trucks and other inanimate objects to "come to life" and terrorize the town and all the people in it. Bonding to stay alive, the majority of the cast locks themselves in a gas station surrounded by trucks circling around them, waiting to pounce. Again, the first 30 minutes of this film are so over-the-top and fun that I was having a blast; However, the film slows right down, confining it to one space with not very much happening, and I found myself pretty bored. In a film with not a very interesting premise to begin with, I was hoping for a lot more shocking moments than what was presented. Overall, it's a fun movie for a bit, but the it stops being that and becomes a borefest. A very forgettable movie.
WrenchLT
½ March 28, 2011
Whilst earth travels through the tail end of a comet trail all the machines in the world go haywire and start to turn violently on their human creators with anything from electric knives to ice-cream vans seeking blood, but it's the big rig trucks that play the lead villains in this film as they trap a group of survivors in a remote truck stop and won't let them leave. Funny, bloody and thrilling for the most part, but I thought things dragged towards the end, it could have done with being 10 minutes shorter. It's enjoyably camp and makes for a good nights viewing, and all with a rocking soundtrack by ACDC. It's similar to the movie 'Tremors' but without the "graboids".
September 6, 2010
One of my favourite machines gone haywire movies ever! First of all it's directed by King himself, not just written by him! It's got Emilio Estevez, who gives a nice performance, as does the rest of the cast. Plus, an awesome heavy metal soundtrack from ACDC! I highly recommend this movie.
Keiko A. --Samurai--
½ September 7, 2010
What can I say Maximum Overdrive is a major guilty pleasure and it is one of my favorite movies ever! It?s so sad to see that Stephen king never Directed anything else but this I mean this movie is so cool who could hate it? I first watch this movie when I was really young it was my dad?s favorite movie and I guess I watched it so Meany times it just grow on me even though I had no idea what was going on. But you grow up and realize how much better things are when you can understand it. And I have to say but this movie was the first ever DVD I actually bought because I love it.

So the movie begins with a comet passing earth called REA-M and all machines on the planet start coming to life and trying to kill us Humans from everyday Objects to cars and trucks and Lawn Mowers. Because of this crisis it leaves a grope of people trapped at a truck stop anyone who tries to leave are run over by the circling trucks. They are planning to use these Humans to there advantage if they need fuel.
Again I won?t ruin the story so I have left things out.

What is the best part about the movie of course it is the Music by AC/DC Who made Who at the start is one of my favorite intros but sadly I am not an AC/DC fan this movie is really the only thing I have heard by them. Another part I love most about this movie is the Trucks because there awesome. The special effects are good but not great there seems to be more Money put into blood and gore then anything else but I still like it. The acting was great but it can get very average but still good. I really like Emilio Estevez in this movie I might be the only one who says that.

Anyway Maximum Overdrive is one of my favorite movies and I hope you do watch it I don?t really find it to be a horror more of an action. And am I the only who sit?s throw the ending credits?

Keiko?s score 91-100
TheDudeLebowski65
August 13, 2010
This is Stephen King Directorial debut and also his last. This film plays out more like a comedy horror film. I personally enjoyed the film simply for the fact it tries too hard to be a serious horror film, except it isn't. The film, upon it's release, grossed a mere 7.5$ million at the box office. It has since retained a cult following amongst horror fans. If you want a prime example of tongue in cheek horror, then this film is for you. I couldn't stop laughing. My favorite part is when the little league kid gets crushed by a steamroller. It's really a guilty pleasure, and pretty fun to watch, just don't expect anything 'scary'.
DragonEyeMorrison
½ August 10, 2008
"The happening" whishes it was this movie. Also, AC/DC doing the soundtrack.
½ July 27, 2009
I really cannot understand why this movie has such a bad overall rating. According to me a movie doesn't have to have a great plot or so to be appealing. First of all I like the movie for the soundtrack by AC/DC. Actually, I learned to know the music of them by watching this movie. The 'Who made Who' theme song conducts the beginning of the movie excellent when a traffic bridge is starting to open beyond human control. The same goes for the other songs in the movie - they really add. Secondly I like the movie for the humor in it. It's not a comedy but some scenes made me laugh - like the bible sales man who gets mad when his car is hit by a truck and he runs outside the roadhouse - cursing like hell; the truck hits him into a sewer and his shoes stay behind. Or the beginning of the movie in which you see a guy withdrawing money from an ATM and on the screen the message appears 'you're an *sshole'. 'Sugar buns, this thing is calling me an *sshole !' If you watch closely you might also notice just before this scene a digital clock on the building on which the time changes into F*CK YOU. Maybe I'm just simple but I like the movie. Better than some not understandable romantic drama if you'd ask me.
garyX
½ April 11, 2007
Daft horror directed by Stephen King (rather amateurishly, as you would expect) but it's a great laugh if you're in the right mood. Killer ice cream trucks, people getting attacked by hair dryers and AC/DC. Christine crossed with Duel but with a sense of humour.
½ February 12, 2007
Trucks that kill. Pretty good action flick.
nuheart
December 26, 2006
This just has GUILTY PLEASURE written all over it.
deano
September 24, 2006
The best Stephen King film I always watch several times and hoping for a DVD with use English substitles.
March 13, 2006
This movie had nothing to do with the Green Goblin.
½ June 19, 2014
One of the most infamous films of the '80s, Maximum Overdrive is wildly entertaining. Written and directed by Stephen King, when an astrological phenomenon causes machines to rise up and attack mankind, a group of survivors take refuge at a truck station. It's a really exciting concept that allows for a lot of crazy scenes of machines running amuck. And, AC/DC rocks the shit out of this movie with their soundtrack, which includes such hits as "Who Made Who," "You Shook Me All Night Long," and "Hells Bells." Though it's incredibly cheesy and over-the-top, Maximum Overdrive delivers a ton of dumb fun.
July 6, 2012
I remember loving this movie as a kid!
Horrific R.
½ January 3, 2013
With Stephen King both being the writer and director, I didn't know what to expect from this film. It's not good, hardly passes as decent to be honest. With an AC/DC only soundtrack, and a rather un-suspenseful and plain setting, this film starts out dry, and ends dry. There are some interesting kills, but no real scares, and I found myself with no attachment to any of the characters. This could have potentially been a fun movie to watch with a group of friends, but I feel it even fails at that with it's excess of dry dialogue. Not a fan of this film, not much at all...
November 1, 2007
You'd have thought Stephen King could adapt and direct one of his own stories for the big screen...
shitfaced8
½ October 2, 2011
This one is definently flawed but it's also a lot of fun. Basically, the machines go on a homicidal rampage against the humans. Pretty loose on plot but a lot of fun anyways. Lots of laughs for sure, not many genuine scares but thats admissable in this case. Something about seeing 8 or so trucks circling a truck stop like sharks is just funny to me. Same for a kid getting steamrolled after falling off his bike.Long story short, this is nice 80's cheese that is easy to watch and laugh at. Stephen Kings directorial debut. Not what I expected it to be, but thats a good thing in this case. Worth a watch.
chadroesti
½ March 7, 2007
This definitely makes the the top 80's cheese list. May not be even close to good today...but when I was 11? Kicked ass! Adding this to Netflix list today!
October 21, 2007
He's a hell of a writer, but should definitely leave the direction to someone else. Maybe he should have someone look over his screenplays as well.
alanjayh
June 12, 2008
estevez and hingle do a decent acting job where the stars of the show are all revved up and ready to roll (over people)..a bit cheesy fun