May - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

May Reviews

½ August 19, 2014
The acting is stunning and the script is fantastic.
½ August 10, 2014
Screwball horror tale which entertains and confuses all at once, for fans of the genre but worth a look...
July 28, 2014
Just the right amount of creepy to prevent it from becoming a typical genre film. Although far from perfect Angela Bettis overall fairs well keeping the character May from becoming boring despite overdoing things in certain parts. Jeremy Sisto shines as the weirded out love interest who becomes increasingly disturbed by May's attempts to fit in and make him like her. Anna Farris however comes across just as annoying as she did in the Scary Movie sequels. Far from a classic, but every so many years I find myself watching this movie feeling exactly the way I do now. Kudos on the strength of the dialogue in the script and homages to the giallo king Dario Argento. Enjoy May for what it is not what May wants to be.
½ July 5, 2014
An increasingly disturbing tale of a very troubled young woman that might have some bumps along the way, specially at the beggining, but that ultimately pays off with some great violent and disturbing moments towards the end. Its a shame that the first half hour doesnt quite compare to the insanity that comes afterwards as it has a very slow start that provides a slightly disjointed glimpse of hope for this girl, but thankfully the movie revives itself with more interesting, weird, distrubing, akward, and ultimately satysfying moments that are the real beauty of this film.
½ June 27, 2014
The second half of the film leads up to an insane and brutal climax which doesn't quite justify the dull slog of the first half.
½ December 12, 2012
May is a twisted, disturbing but surprisingly poignant horror drama with a remarkable performance from Angela Bettis and an original storyline. A criminally underrated film.
½ May 20, 2014
May is an awkwardly lovable girl just trying to fit in, after suffering from a very lonely childhood. Like other movies by Lucky McKee, the plot tends to be a bit scattered and can be a bit slow at times, but it still remains enjoyable to watch. The movie is a bit of a roller coaster ride with minor ups and downs that will make you both smile and cringe, until you reach the final hill with a painful progression and a breathtaking yet obvious ending.
May 25, 2008
LOVE this offbeat, original, eerie movie. It works on all levels, kudos to Angela Bettis for a great performance...if you like horror, this one is a must-see!!!
February 26, 2014
This movie is downright creepy and eerily original. Bettis absolutely killed it as May...someone described as very alone and troubled. She wants to create a special friend and by doing this she murders people, cuts off one of their limbs, and proceeds to stitch them all together. Bettis is the star here as she is very believable as a troubled young woman.
Definitely recommend.
ECF
½ October 25, 2013
This was the longest 90 minute movie I ever watched. I don't know if it was the long drawn out embarrassing scenes. Or the long drawn out -- super creepy scenes. Regardless of how long it felt, they did a good job developing the main character's arch. Super weird anti-social girl learns to just embrace who she is and start killing people. Also, I don't think this girl was that unattractive. Even with a screwy eye, I think she would have been able to get a cute guy. Poor casting choice. But I did like the ending. Nice touch. solid effort on both concept and execution.
January 3, 2014
Weirs film but very well done. The main actress is particularly interesting to watch.
October 23, 2013
Like a modern-day Frankenstein that's centered around a very disturbed and lonely young woman...... A fascinating character study and horror film.
October 16, 2013
Maybe I think it sucks so much because I wanted to see it so bad when it came out. It had good word of mouth and the end result for me was total garbage that is a bore and has nothing to offer or recommend. The story was obvious from the get go and it really went nowhere for me. I dislike this movie a lot.
½ August 3, 2011
..... What did I just watch? Anyways, May is a very strange film, with a very brilliant idea. It's about a strange misfit who is in need of a friend, who also has a doll she talks to. At first, i thought this was a romance for the first 50 minutes, until she gets angry and starts killing people. The ending was...fantastic...and somewhat freaked me out for the rest of my life. The acting was pretty good, especially from the role of May. It was pretty good.
½ October 2, 2013
disturbingly psychotic and tragic all May wants is a friend so she decides to make one of her own but it's very sad seeing what's been given to her slowly wither away so she actually 'makes' one of her own getting back at the ones whom have wronged her you have a lot of TV actors in here and shockingly you get a fair amount of screen time from the comedic Anna Faris you just feel so bad for May as she just wants things to go right for her whether it be the guy she likes or the best friend who comforts her that doll she has is very unnerving, like you're thinking when is she going to get rid of it and grow up Angela Bettis is amazing in the lead and it's very gore-filled towards the end when all hope is lost and her becoming a human butcher is her last sense of security
½ September 8, 2013
It's tone is interchanging between dark engrossing humor and flat out hilarity with solid albeit subtle performances to anchor it make this slasher flick better than most
½ August 6, 2013
What Was the Point of All This?

Every once in a while, I am stuck watching a movie not because it interests me, particularly, but because I'm working under a time constraint. Hence this one. I got it from Netflix because the plot description sounded vaguely intriguing, but by about fifteen minutes in, I knew that I didn't care all that much. However, fifteen minutes in was still putting me well after nine, and I have that thing about getting reviews in before midnight. (I spent my evening watching [i]Perry Mason[/i], because there was no one on the hold list yesterday, and when I went to renew it today, there was. So it's overdue.) This meant that I didn't really have time to start something else, because I try to be done with my movies by eleven so I have an hour to write the review. Sometimes, it only takes fifteen minutes, but better safe than sorry. So we're getting a review of this, even though I'm not sure how much I have to say.

May (Angela Bettis) had a lazy eye when she was a little girl and played by Chandler Riley Hecht. She was lonely and had no friends, and her mother (Merle Kennedy) told her that she should make her own and presented her with a doll. That was, naturally, in a glass case and not something May was allowed to touch. May grows up as much a social reject as you figure, given that back story. She works in an animal hospital, where the receptionist, Polly (Anna Faris), is constantly hitting on her. May does not notice. She does notice a guy who goes to her laundromat, Adam (Jeremy Sisto), and gets weirdly obsessed with his hands. Only May is so out of it that she doesn't know how to initiate a relationship, and once she's sort of in one with Adam, she doesn't know what to do about it. She actually manages to do a little better with Polly, but Polly does not appear to be the monogamous type, and May doesn't know how to deal with that, either. Oh, and the doll is talking to her, so there's that.

Polly, naturally, is a Movie Lesbian. It's not that she obviously just needs the Love (or something) of a Good Man to become straight. It's that she's pretty and flirtatious and probably promiscuous. She's the kind of lesbian that men are interested in watching. Which goes badly for her, given the kind of movie we're dealing with, here, but consider this. She hits on May even though she has no real reason to believe that May is even bi. Now, I think May is just desperately lonely and is willing to go along with anyone who pays attention to her, but it's not like that's something healthy. It doesn't seem to me that Polly has any interest in knowing what May is really like. It's how we the audience are supposed to know that Adam is a jerk, but I think we're still supposed to find Polly appealing. They're equally self-centered, and they're equally dismissive of May without realizing it, but it's okay when Polly does it, because lesbians.

I'm not sure this movie really knew what it wanted. It reminded me most of [i]Brimstone and Treacle[/i], that weird movie I watched years ago where Sting might or might not have been the Devil. The plots bore little resemblance to one another, inasmuch as either movie can really be said to have a plot, but they both had the same feeling of unreality. Not the kind I think they wanted, either. Both movies had moments where I stopped and demanded to know if the thing that just happened had really happened, because it didn't make any sense or seem to follow from what went before. The whole thing with May and the blind kids didn't work for me at all. I'm not entirely clear on what the deal was with the guy May picks up at the bus stop; I think it might be to convince us of how weird she is, if even that guy thinks she's weird. But let's face it; if the film hasn't convinced us of how weird she is by that point, it has failed, and you have to wonder what it's been doing with itself all that time.

Obviously, the question is not if May is crazy or not. May is definitely crazy. But is her crazy believable? There was at least one scene that I was utterly, utterly convinced had to be a dream sequence or fantasy or something. This was for two reasons. First, because it was so out of left field. Second, because you can't stab someone with scissors like that. Really, there were several places in the movie that convinced me that no one involved really knows how sewing works. (May sews with her presser foot up!) Sewing scissors are sharp, but not, in general, that sharp at the point. Heck, mine aren't sharp at the point at all, because there's no need for it. But anyway, the film never really established anything. Is the doll really talking to May? It seems as though it might be. On the other hand, it might be a delusion. There's no way of knowing, and it simply isn't interesting enough to leave us talking about it afterward. Note that I'm much more interested in May's presser foot--and how many of you even know what one is?
½ March 18, 2009
This was weird, and not in a good way. Watch "Private Parts" (1972) for a more interesting take on the subject.
½ November 27, 2010
May is one seriously disturbed whacko.
June 17, 2013
Great, great movie. The atmosphere was so intense and Angela Bettis was amazing. You could feel her pain. Awesome, disturbing and violent horror movie.