McLintock!

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

McLintock! Reviews

Connor G.
July 14, 2014
I've finally found a John Wayne movie that's characters could hold up how plotless it is.
KevinRobbins
May 31, 2014
You spanked me!

George Washington McLintock (GW) is a wealthy land owner that is a respectable man and a traditionalist. His wife left him some years ago and took their daughter with her. Her daughter returns home during a turbulent time in the village; and surprisingly, she returns with his wife. Unfortunately, the town is divided by a real estate agent that wishes to throw the Indians off their land. GW tries to keep the peace while building a relationship again with his family.

"I've been punched a many of times in my life but never for hiring anybody."

Andrew V. McLaglen, director of Shenandoah, Chisum, One More Train to Rob, Gun the Man Down, Man in the Vault, Sahara (1983), and The Sea Wolves, delivers McLintock. The storyline for this picture is actually fairly entertaining and a unique addition to the western genre. The characters are very likable and I enjoyed the script. The acting was solid and the cast includes John Wayne, Maureen O'Hara, Patrick Wayne, Stefanie Powers, and Bruce Cabot.

"I said what I said and I'll stand by it till death."

This is a movie I grabbed off Netflix since it was a western I had never seen and a highly regarded Wayne picture. I did find this a worthwhile addition to the genre and borderline worth adding to your DVD collection if you're a Wayne or western fan. Overall, this film isn't perfect and is definitely cheesy in spots, but is definitely worth a viewing.

"Don't say it's a fine morning or I'll shoot you."

Grade: B
May 10, 2014
This was just an ok comedy western featuring John Wayne as a town bigshot very comfortable with ordering the town around, but less so when it comes to his own family. This film sort of slid off on me, but the Duke seems to be having a good time.
December 2, 2013
A comedy western using 'The Taming Of The Shrew' as its basis, though any major resemblance to The Bards work is minimal at most. Wayne and O'Hara spar well on screen but ultimately this doesn't really go anywhere especially with the comedy sitting a little uneasy next to Wayne's politics.
The Movie King
July 20, 2013
When you think of Westerns, you think of John Wayne. John Wayne starred in many hit Western from the 1930's to 1970's, with films like The Searchers, Rio Bravo, True Grit, and Stagecoach. His 1963 film McLintock is another one of The Duke's biggest hits, and is a memorable western.

Meet George Washington McLintock (John Wayne), a cattle baron who owns most of the town of McLintock, but still feels unhappy. He intends to sell off the land to the government when he dies so they can build a national park, but is pestered a lot by old Indian friends, led by Strother Martin, a corrupt land agent named Douglas (Gordon Jones), and the territory governor, Cuthbert H. Humphrey (Robert Lowery).

But his biggest problem comes when his separated wife, Katherine (Maureen O'Hara), returns to town to get a divorce and also await the arrival of their daughter, Rebecca (Stefanie Powers), in order to decide who's keeping custody of her. The rest of the film focuses on Rebecca's struggle with love and McLintock's issues with his wife and the Indians.

Other stars appearing in McLintock include John Wayne's son Patrick as hired hand Devlin Warren, who falls for Rebecca, Jerry Van Dyke (yes, Dick Van Dyke's brother) plays Matt Douglas Jr., the son of the corrupt land agent and also has a crush on Rebecca, and Yvonne de Carlo as Louise Warren, Devlin's mom who works as McLintock's housekeeper and cook and has problems with Katherine.

Now as you probably know, I'm not a huge fan of westerns, but I can still watch them for reviewing purposes. I have no problem with John Wayne. I think he is a talented actor with a sense of toughness and personality to get through an entire picture. While this is not Wayne's superior work, McLintock is an entertaining film nonetheless.

Wayne had no real reason to make this film, it was only because his previous film, The Alamo, was a notorious flop and it cost him lots of money. In order to recoup his losses from that film, Wayne made a simple, easy Western that he knew his fans would enjoy. While I'm not a huge western nut. I must say that I was entertained by it.

First off, this film is funny. And I mean funny. Generally when you think of John Wayne, you think of him as a tough actor with a serious look, Here, he keeps his toughness, but also shows his comedic side as well, and it really surprised me. A serious scene involving a near-killing of an Indian turns into a hilarious brawl down a mud pit, caused by The Duke himself. Another funny sequence involves Wayne smacking Maureen O'Hara with a coal shovel (It sounds abusive, but trust me, it's actually pretty funny). And the funniest scene of all? A drunken Wayne attempting to climb up the stairs of his own house. It's hysterical.

What about the cast? John Wayne, of coarse, is funny tough, and cool. Maureen O'Hara, a longtime collaborator with Wayne, is entertaining and funny. Stefanie Powers is attractive and sassy as the daughter. And the rest of the supporting cast is excellent as well, even Wayne's son. I wasn't particularly fond of Jerry Van Dyke in the film, cause he looked like a cheap imitator of his brother, and his scenes could have been cut, but his scenes doesn't ruin what is otherwise a good film.

And last but not least, there's the score by DeVol, probably best known for his work on The Brady Bunch. DeVol is not one of my favorite composers, mostly due to The Brady Bunch, but his score is surprisingly done well here. His score didn't feel kiddy-kiddy here, like on, you guessed it, The Brady Bunch.

While not perfect, especially with Dick Van Dyke's not-talented brother in the picture and some political scenes that dulled the film a bit, McLintock is an entertaining western, with a good and surprisingly funny performance from John Wayne and some crazy comedic sequences. I only recommend this to diehard John Wayne fans, but I still enjoyed it nonetheless.

"Somebody oughta belt you in the mouth!"
May 19, 2013
see it every time it is on and that is a few times!! love it
May 13, 2013
John and Maureen at it again, one of my fav's.
May 13, 2013
A western film that combines great humor, some action, and the eternal battle of the sexes out west--A Merry Mudbath!!
horse c.
April 30, 2013
Another Wayne western classic
Matthew J.
November 25, 2012
As western/comedies go 'McLintock' is one of the best. Despite being slightly too long, Wayne and O'Hara generate enough chemistry and charm to keep you entertained.
December 14, 2011
this is a diverse movie. comedy, action, romance. why can't modern movies cover all that. it's usually one or the other. or one advertised as the other.
October 7, 2012
good western john wayne
March 5, 2009
The comedy's a little too broad for me, but there were some good parts to it--especially the very end, which was pretty humorous. There's some good fights, too.
A. Khan
September 3, 2012
John Wayne at his Katherine O'Hara beating best.

McLintock! (my favorite use of the exclamation mark, and made by Andrew V. McLaglen, 1963)) is John Wayne's bombastic Western that helped define his star image, in which he plays a wealthy cattle baron in the old West whose shrewish estranged wife (Maureen O'Hara) suddenly returns to his home in anticipation of their daughter (Stefanie Powers)'s return from boarding school (or college, or something like that). Mrs. McLintock wishes to take the girl back to the state capitol with her to live a proper, upper class life, while John wants his daughter to marry the right man and pursue her own destiny. More than that, he wants to hang on to the life and legacy he has built there in town as greedy landowners conspire to take it away from him. This parallels the U.S government's efforts to relocate the Native American tribes in the area, a fact that also weighs in Mr. McLintock's mind. Can McLintock keep the peace both in his city and his household? That's the film.

And it's not much of a question, because the answer is, "of course he can! And he can do it with gusto!" We know this because that's how he does everything else, deflecting his wife's barbs and actually spanking her, while belting a man after saying that he won't in possibly the most famous moment of John Wayne's whole career. McLintock is a larger than life figure, earning that exclamation mark, and while he can be annoyed (as he is repeatedly in this film), he can't be brought down, which he proves by resolving nearly every conflict he encounters with bravado, earning the respect of both his foes, his friends, and his daughter's would be suitor (Patrick Warren), the inspiration for the spanking trick. He wins back his household (thus getting the girl), cements his legacy, and comes out the good ol' American superhero we've all been told John Wayne is. It's cute, and entertaining.

Is it a good film? Eh...

Look, I don't hate McLintock!, by any means. I just recognize it for what it is. This is how traditional Americans view the ideal of manhood, a proud, strong, decisive man who doesn't take no guff and keeps "his" women in line. It's a movie that illustrates the generation gap in 1963 better than many other films I can think of. Again, a little known fact (for some reason) is that in the early '60's, television was kicking the movies' ass, and young people (the mobile part of the population, upwardly and otherwise) just weren't all that into this kind of hero and this kind of story. Don't know how well this film did in its time (John Wayne was still a big star), but this Hollywood was in the process of breaking down as the new American culture was taking shape. The economy was good, and science and technology had brought about a whole new set of entertainment options. Things to do. Places, and more importantly, ideas to explore. This was when everyone started questioning everything, and young audiences thought this kind of character with these sensibilities was pretty old hat. As a result, those of us born afterward tend to watch movies like McLintock! With a sense of irony. We know how outmoded all of this is, and how you can get put in jail for abusing your wife today. We know that being big and bombastic is kind of obnoxious to a lot of people. We know that John Wayne's confused values about Native Americans (a confusion far from exclusive to him) aren't all that appealing in the modern era. So you have to take this material with a grain of salt, which wasn't necessarily the intention of the filmmakers. Still, for what it is - well shot, colorful, with beautiful woman, tough guys, and simple values - it is an exemplar. Don't love it, but don't hate it. B-
September 3, 2012
An anachronism that's hard to hate
Mike L.
August 11, 2012
A western in the sense that it is set in the west during the time period when we think all westerns are. It is more of a comedy than anything with the crux being the relationship between Wayne and O'Hara, or lack thereof at the start. Wayne plays the owner of most of the land and industry of the area with O'Hara his estranged wife, back east living the life of the upper-crust. She is back awaiting the return of their daughter, Stephanie Powers, who must choose between a life back east with her mother or out west with her father. The juxtaposition between mother and father is also between the class distinction of the money back east and the hard-earned money out west. This class war is played out throughout the movie with the classroom educated, Agard and Douglas Jr., being portrayed as clumsy and incompetent while the street-smart people, G.W. and the Warren family, faring much better. The class war usually makes for good comedy and throw in a town full of odd characters and this makes for a watchable movie.
August 10, 2012
In the mood for a misogynistic western versions of "The Taming of the Shrew"? Well then this is the movie for you!
Mark  Delledonne
March 10, 2012
This is a decent movie. The muddy fight scene is very good as are the battles with his wife!