Me Without You - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Me Without You Reviews

December 6, 2015
Intimate and sad film about the nature of manipulative female friendships. I'm extra generous here because not many movies show how profound these can be - the film-making is eh. Michelle Williams kills her role as always.
August 6, 2015
this was on so i watched it. putting off watching 'birdman' for reasons i can't explain.
September 26, 2014
Portrait of a friendship between two women from childhood to adulthood as they finally realize the unhealthy nature of their relationship. Friel and Williams are wonderful.
January 7, 2014
OK, uneven film about two friends who grow up together.
½ December 20, 2012
A true testament to just what degree of bitterness can be sustained when two people each see the other as striking the first blow...This is an honest portrayal of the kind of friendship that really sticks with you. Not everyone who sees it will necessarily like it but without a doubt, if you watch it the value will exceed the investment... One of the greatest friendship movies ever made and a genuine meditation thereon!
½ June 18, 2013
everyone has a friend like this. a touching movie that I related to a little too well
July 22, 2012
Damn Oliver Milburn is so hot in this!
July 12, 2012
One of Michelle Williams' very good early performances.
June 24, 2012
This is a great movie about how friendship changes as we grow older.
½ April 23, 2012
Genuine emotion and really fun, realistic-looking scenes taking place in the 80s make this movie worthwhile. Williams and Friel are both very talented. I did think the end was a little patched on, though. Also, I think I was meant to be a twentysomething in the 80s.
½ April 10, 2012
This film chronicles a friendship between two girls who grow up next door to one another during the 1970s and 80s, beginning with their simple youthful love and continuing on through their more turbulent adolescent and young adult relationship with each other. It doesnâ(TM)t stint on the period detail, chronicling the hair and fashion tastes of the two decades in which it takes place and even the academic tastes of the colleges then. The relationship, however, is explored in greater depth as it encounters some predictable problems, namely boys, as well as the growing independence of the two main characters. These are two full, round characters whose coming of age sadly separates them from each other.
½ April 8, 2012
Fresca y llena de mucho drama.
January 28, 2012
This is my favorite film with Michelle Williams. It charts the development of the friendship between two very different girls, Holly & Marina, from their teenage years during the late 1970s to the present day. I love this film because it shows Holly and Marina's friendship throughout the years and all the things they go through. Marina pretty much sabotages every relationship Holly has as she's jealous of her not always relying on her, as she thinks Holly needs her more than she needs Holly. But of course Marina needs Holly more than Holly needs Marina which she proves when towards the end of the film she says the film's name when Holly tells her they can't be friends anymore. I'm glad that towards the end Holly finally ends up with Nat, Marina's older brother, and has a daughter with him. Marina also ends up having a daughter and son but it doesn't clarify who too, but Holly's daughter and Marina's daughter seem to be the best of friends, just like their mothers used to be.

Best line:

Marina: "There's no me without you!" (said to Holly)

My Actor/Actress review:

Michelle Williams - i liked her as Holly, she's a really great actress

Anna Friel - really bossy as Marina, i didn't particularly like her character

Oliver Milburn - i loved him as Nat, this was the first film i ever saw him in
April 16, 2009
Another prime example of a film that builds as it progresses. What starts out as a slightly annoying teen angst movie matures into a complex entanglement of emotion. The ending, reminiscent of The Graduate, is a nice touch.
July 20, 2011
Me recordó una vieja amistad. Michelle lo hace excelente!
June 24, 2011
I love how this movie shows the impression of en era in both clothes and music. I also find the story believable - even if the leads seem to be exaggerated.
maxthesax
November 25, 2010
Needful Things... I mean, Me Without You, juggles several themes without a catastrophy - does this make for great entertainment? Not necessarily, though there is certainly enough here to mull over.

The "story" involves two young girls; next door neighbors who probably, if they weren't next door neighbors, would not have connected.

In one corner you have Holly, the product of a stable Jewish family, who has been told since a toddler that she has brains, not beauty.

In the other, you have her opposite, Marina, from a broken family whose mother instills the virtue of beauty.

Once the two main charactors are introduced you get to live with them for the next 30 years via a series of vignettes that, taken seperatly, are often flat and uninvolving, but as a whole take on new life and direction.

While the early part of the film wallows in pathos and boredom, there is a much deeper subtext that makes this film watchable.

I made the lil joke about needful things, because that's what all the charactors are, especially Marina. Whether it's because of her father's rejection, or her mother's teachings about beauty and attention being the true way to wealth and happiness, she not only needs the spotlight all the time, but perceives that she needs ANYTHING that anyone else might desire as well. So, she takes anything that Holly may want, including men.

It's easy to understand why Marina needs Holly, since she's such a Diva and always needs applause and attention, but why does Holly tolerate Marina? Is it because Marina offers some sense of adventure and wonder that her own bookish life fails to provide? Or is it, in her case, a true sense of kinship and the bond formed by lonliness?

These themes are all interesting, but it's subtext and not the crux of the film, which seriously meanders as it tells it's story of the two girls and those around them (particularly Mirina's older brother, who a young Holly has a crush on and later.... well, let's just say there's lot's going on).

I could have done without much of the period effects - too much of the disco scene - oh, look at the gay guy doing a fan dance - and other superflous scenes drawn simply to impart a sense of the era. I also found the drug party scene to be rather pointless, except to perhaps give an underpinning to the main charactors. Further scenes also left me underimpressed, though they gave me ample time to comtemplate the underlying stuff I've already discussed.

I also felt that the final scene where Holly has finally had enough of Marina's needs to be a bit melodramatic - not from Holly of course, but Marina's blathering soul sucking need and then her subsequent emotional breakdown... it just played slightly over the top and false.

But then the film redeems itself with a very nice closing scene 10 years later - the girls are back together, out in the backyard watching their own two children, both girls, cavorting about. Without saying anything the film say volumes as it freeze frames on the next generation. The meaning is evident, and the cycle of need continues.
LWOODS04
½ September 24, 2009
Cast: Michelle Williams, Anna Friel, Oliver Milburn, Kyle MacLachlan, Trudie Styler, Marianne Denicourt, Steve John Shepherd, Allan Corduner, Nicky Henson, Deborah Findlay

Directed by: Sandra Goldbacher

Summary: In 1970s London, two young girls, Holly (Michelle Williams) and Marina (Anna Friel), grow up next door to each other, share intimacies and survive mutual traumas. Their lives are completely intertwined, and they make a pact of eternal friendship they don't ever plan to break. But as they progress through adolescence and young adulthood in the turbulent 1980s, their friendship and resolve are tested.

My Thoughts: "It's really surprising how much I not only enjoyed this film, but how much I related to it. Me and my bestie have much of the same relationship as Holly and Marina. It's a gals, gals movie. Not much for the guys. But it's a great film that should be seen even if its about a couple of best-friends staring two girls. I was surprised that I liked it, because most best-friend films are full of bubblegum bullshit. This film felt like it was a very honest and real portrayal of a friendship/sisterhood. Love Michelle Williams. Her and Anna Friel where great together. Thought they were both believable as besties. Will definitely watch it again."
½ July 30, 2010
Seriously? What a story! What an awfully bad execution of that story!~