• PG-13, 1 hr. 36 min.

Mean Girls Reviews

cosmo313
cosmo313

June 9, 2006
I enjoyed this far more than I thought I would or should. It's actually a really good movie, like seriously. It's girly of course, but there's a lot of truth behind what's being displayed on screen.

I could have gone my whole life without seeing it, and that would have been fine, but the more people talked about it, the more curious I got, especially since this movie was a breakthrough for several cast members I like. I also enjoyed the fact that this had so much involvement from the SNL crowd.

Basically, this is a fun and highly entertaining farce that blends Heathers with Clueless and Jawbreaker, but sets everything in the 21st Century. The basic plot follows a 16 year-old girl who grew up in Africa, and spent almost her whole life being home schooled. After moving back to the States, her parents decide that she needs to attend public school to get some much needed socialization. Her world gets flipped upside down when, in her attempts to fit in, she becomes involved with The Plastics- the gorgeous, vapid, and domineering clique of popular girls And this is all about her trying to navigate the strange jungle that is high school- a world more foreign to her than the real jungles of Africa.

Give it a shot if you haven't already. It definitely exceeds expectations, and that's coming from my mouth, the mouth of a goofy, offbeat straight man who has a beard and loves history and heavy metal. The film is funny, insightful, clever, and a lot better than it probably has a right to be.
blkbomb
blkbomb

May 7, 2011
Cady: I know it may look like I was being like a bitch, but that's only because I was acting like a bitch.

"Watch Your Back"

I was extremely surprised by how funny, smart, and overall great Mean Girls really was. I've heard from people that it was a good movie and that I should watch it, but it never was really anything that appealed to me. In retrospect, that was an extremely stupid position to take on my part. This film is actually like a splice between Easy A and Heathers, and is just as smart and good as those two films are.

A 16 year old girl name Cady moves to America from Africa where she spent her whole life being home schooled by her researcher parents. When she enters school for the first time, she is an innocent and sweet young lady. Then the plastics get ahold of her. The plastics are a clique made up of three "mean girls" and are lead by the meanest Regina. Cady splits time for a while, being both a bitch and herself. Soon, everything else takes over and she's just a bitch.

There's nothing here that I could really complain about. The performances are there. The high school satire aspect of it is there in perfect amounts and at the exact right time. The characters and the writing is strong as well. High school movies like this can sometimes be extremely surprising in how well they exaggerate the true facts about high school and make it into an almost believable story.

If you haven't seen this film yet, give it a look. I know it looks like a dumb chick flick, but it is truly much more. No guy should have to be ashamed to say they have seen and liked Mean Girls. It's truly a movie that transcends the chick flick barrier. Girls and guys alike should be able to get a massive amount of enjoyment from watching these characters and listening to their dialogue. It's a really enjoyable film.
Eugene B

August 22, 2008
Up-and-coming stars Rachel McAdams, Amanda Seyfried, as well as familiar talent in Lohan does more than splendid in the film. A well-thought-and-assembled plot/story to highlight the typical lifestyle of a new-generation of high-school adolescence. 4.5/5
Jason S

December 26, 2006
plain
Chiefilms
Chiefilms

February 29, 2008
Solid comedy, cast gives a good performance.
jamers2011
jamers2011

August 1, 2010
I see this film being popular for many years. A good comedy!
Wildaly M

May 14, 2007
Okay movie.
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

October 2, 2011
I never thought I would enjoy this film, I was pleasantly surprised. The film stars Lindsay Lohan (before her massive troubles) Rachel McAdams and Tina Fey. Mean Girls is a pretty good teen comedy and it does have plenty of good laughs. The acting wasn't bad, but not great either. I enjoyed this film, and I really didn't think I would like it. But the film was interesting enough to keep me involved in the film, and I liked the idea behind the plot. Sure, there are things that could have been done better, but for what it is, the film succeeds at being an effective teen comedy. Mean Girls is definitely no Breakfast Club or Ferris Bueller's Day Off, but this film still is fairly memorable. The cast are well chosen, and they are all funny in their respective roles. Mean Girls a good teen comedy, but it's still average in my book. The film won't be timeless as so many other teen comedies such as Ferris Bueller's Day Off or The Breakfast Club. The assorted cast makes this film work, and they make it much better than it is. Rachel McAdams delivers a good performance, one of the best of the film. A good film, but it's never anything memorable. I frankly thought it was one of those films that you can only watch once. However, for what it is, Mean Girls is a funny, but flawed film. There's plenty of fun to be had watching, in the end though it's not as memorable as other teen comedies.
Raymond W

August 14, 2011
Mean Girls is not your average comedy. It's better than an average teenaged comedy. It's script (although it can be cheesy at times) and story make it funnier than expected. Rachel McAdams, Lindsay Lohan and Amanda Seyfried turn in surprisingly good performances as well. They're mean girls.
Eric A

August 9, 2011
Comes off as an average bimbo comedy, but it's a pretty well done comedy. Approve.
skactopus
skactopus

March 13, 2007
Thanks to Tina Fey's screenplay, director Mark Waters puts together a more than adequate comedic teen flick.The story for Mean Girls is as its title implies. It isn't exactly over the edge, but it paces itself well for it's entire 90 minute run time. As for the characters, while not always doing likable things, are actually likable and amusing to watch.When it comes to comedy, this picture isn't drop dead hilarious in the laughs department; however there are moments that generate chuckles. The nice thing is that the film doesn't force the humor. It isn't a pure comedy and it doesn't try to be. The dialogue is partially witty and the predicaments that the characters find themselves in are entertaining.Mean Girls thrives on its female characters. Lindsay Lohan and Rachel McAdams are solid leads, while Lacey Chabert and Amanda Seyfried successfully mesh in with good supporting roles. The latter provides some effective humor.Mean Girls may focus on the adolescent, but it isn't just for an adolescent audience. Ultimately, this is a recommendable teen comedy.
murphmann93
murphmann93

July 6, 2008
Rachel McAdams was amazing in this role. It's quite sad that this is how girls actually are in this modern day and time. Great insight and the best Lindsay Lohan has been with her acting - apart from her part in 'The Parent Trap'
Summer W

July 13, 2007
it was ok
DreamExtractor
DreamExtractor

February 13, 2011
This is one of the most original and funniest high school movies ever. Lindsey Lohan and Racheal McAdams lead a hilarious cast of colorful and hilarious people. The plot was great, but it also has some truth to it, that any popular people are very self centered in high school, and change people into being just like them. Tina Fey has written here one of the best comedies in years. There wasn't one moment I didn't like (besides a few cliche moments) and every character was awesome. It has truth, comedy, great characters and is an amazing movie.
Drake T

June 9, 2011
Aside from a few chuckles and some smart writing from Tina Fey, there's nothing worth seeing here.

In fact, it represents everything wrong with the idea of "High School" culture by reinforcing their existence with such shallow, depth-less media. In the end, all these fictitious labels and stereotypes play such large roles into this insufferably pandering story it might as well be made for 12 year old little girls.

It also unwittingly promotes passive aggressive behavior, with an ending completely wrapped in common sense. High School is nothing like this, and it shouldn't be.
movieguru12
movieguru12

December 8, 2007
Such a fun and fierce comedy about the truth about high school. Love it! :) :) :)
Alice S

August 10, 2007
Biting and absurd satire. It's a shame that LiLo used to be attractive and talented...
Christopher A

January 11, 2011
A film that is 'Almost Too Gay To Function' but has enough out of body random scene's and hot girls running around shouting 'look at me' that makes this film actually quite 'Fetch'.

Falls in to the scarce category of Chick flicks for guys, the story follows Cady, a 16 year old who has up to now been home schooled all of her life ... in Africa. She moves to the US and soon finds herself falling in with the girls too cool for school, the 'plastics'. A boy is introduced and all out war follows as the girls battle to be the Queen Bee.

A clever, hilarious and entertaining film, well worth a watch with the girlfriend.
Spencer S

July 22, 2008
The reason this movie is so closely quotes by the middle school girls of yesteryear is because it is in itself a pivotal point in movie history: revealing the reality of teenage girls in this generation, and every one preceding, and laughing at it. It was a swaying effect to learn you yourself are just plain mean.