—— The Identical Sep 05

—— Unforgettable: Season 2

Meet Dave Reviews

Anthony L

January 7, 2013
Meet Dave received quite a battering but I really don't think it was all that bad. If it was made in the 80's it would be a classic, you know that's true. I was expecting the worst after all the scathing reviews but I quite liked it, it was 100 times better than Norbit anyway!
michael e.
michael e.

January 2, 2011
Very funny and endearing childrens film, pity it was only in the theaters for about 2 weeks
bbcfloridabound
bbcfloridabound

May 17, 2010
A very funny Movie Far More then I expected. I laughed all through the movie. Eddie Murphy played an excellent part. Elizabeth Banks was simply beautiful. A great family movie, nothing that can be shown to any age, clean throughout. 4 1/2 stars
FiLmCrAzY
FiLmCrAzY

February 15, 2009
Eddie murphy's movies always seem like yes there ok but you probably won't remember them in the long run! eddie murphy gives his same old predictsable effort into this, this movie is ok and watchable but dont bother going out of your way to watch it!
Its a funny little kids movie, that is entertaining just incredibly predictable that is a bit boring!
Phil H

July 20, 2008
You think this might be a crappy unfunny typical Murphy family film at first, but it isn't, well not much anyway. Its actually not bad, the humor is very basic, childish and predictable but it has a certain charm, a certain something that makes it enjoyable instead of embarassing. Murphy is the same as most of his 'family films' to be honest, same facial expressions and same silly impressions which we saw awhile back, but he does do quite a nice job as a robot or spacecraft in human form.

The concept is ok nothing too original and its all very simple looking with some really terrible effects later on in the film. The internal scenes inside Murphy are quite good, they look good and are alittle amusing in places as the crew helm the Murphy spacecraft hehe

Very silly, very basic usual family stuff from Murphy, but it does have alittle spark of charm, genius or loveability that somehow manages to grab you, dunno how or why though haha
Chris G

March 29, 2009
Eddie Murphy continues his rich tradition of great films with Meet Dave. Yes, that means it sucks. It really sucks. I can't believe I watched this garbage, but I figured someone had to take one for the team.

The film revolves around an alien spaceship that looks like Alex Foley. Inside are people about an inch and a half high with their captain also looking like Axel Foley. It starts as your typical rube in New York City story with Murphy's ship getting hit by a single mom (why Elizabeth Banks, why!?!?) and her son who also happens to be the kid that found the water sucking orb that will save their planet. The film is basically the rube story as Murphy's Captain character realizes that he can't destroy this world to save his own.

Meet Dave is ridiculous as hell. I'm not talking about the little people alien aspects of the film, I'm talking about the piss poor writing from Rob Greenberg and Bill Corbett. I'm checking to see if they're in the 2nd grade- no, but Corbett worked on Mystery Science Theater 3000. What the hell did they run out of movies and needed another piece of garbage to trash? Two examples that stick out for me are the stereotypes. A black crewmember on the S.S. Murphy hears hip hop and suddenly transforms into a jive talking gangster. The second crew member sees thirty seconds of A Chorus Line and suddenly becomes a homosexual. Hopefully none of them saw this film because they would be suddenly transformed into bad film makers and actors.

Eddie Murphy plays the schtick that he's played in countless crappy family films over the last fifteen years. I heard that he was going to retire from acting and go back to stand up. I would be hilarious to see this kids growing up with Father Knows Best Eddie Murphy watching a sequel to Eddie Murphy Raw- including the jump suit! The rest of the cast are typical over actors because it's supposed to be funny. It's not funny. It's overacting you goofs.

Director Brian Robbins' career is filled with tons of mindless crap that Hollywood loves to shove down our throats. He must work cheap, especially after last years masterpiece Norbit (I'm not willing to take that one for the team).

If given a choice between Meet Dave and a colonoscopy, I would have to think about it. At least you get drugged during the colonoscopy. Or I would just watch a superior film with the same sort of story called Innerspace.
Jani H

January 10, 2009
Eddie Murphy teams up again with Brian Robbins. Their previous work was "Norbit". His performance in that film pretty much made him lose the Academy Award...

In "Norbit", Eddie Murphy has no fat suit. He plays the captain of a spaceship that looks like him. Ok, normally I would not watch a film with this kind of synopsis but I gave it a shot. Actually, "Meet Dave" had its moments.

The film is filled with gags. The story is thin, almost harmless with the obvious storyline of an alien race learning about the human culture etc. The gags mostly base on this. Mix in a bit of love and there you have it... "Meet Dave".

The film had me laugh out loud a couple of times. In overall, the film is a harmless, brainless, somewhat funny film, but it woun't last multiple viewings.
Roy G

December 14, 2008
Eddie Murphy redeems himself somewhat with this family friendly film
James A

December 6, 2008
I would like to apologize for laughing at the first half of the movie. Its horrible in every way yet I still found the first half amusing. The second was a steamy pant load.
thefog1331
thefog1331

December 1, 2008
Nowhere as bad as it was made out to be but don't misconstrue that as an endorsement.
It's fine for a night with dad and the kids but mom or anyone else for that matter will be quite annoyed with the low brow humor and scatological jokes.
Luke B

August 19, 2008
Eddie Murphy is a strange beast. How can somebody have such a huge ego with so many box office bombs? He's played a whole family of Eddie Murphy's, Eddie Murphy has been married to Eddie Murphy and now Eddie Murphy acts inside Eddie Murphy. For a man whose biggest success is playing a talking Donkey in a film that nobody goes to see for him he is very deluded. Meet Dave continues in the footsteps of Norbit by being painfully unfunny. It's the same joke over and over again. An Alien has many misunderstandings about human culture and way of life. For example a human mentions Meatloaf for dinner and a quick alien search brings up footage of the popular singing sensation Meatloaf. That's the poor attempt at comedy we are dealing with here. There are a couple of chuckles in store mainly due to the delivery of lines but other than that it's a sorry experience.
Brian D

August 9, 2008
Nice little movie with eddie murphy playing a spaceship! Not the most funnist of movies but it as charm and wit and one for the kids to enjoy.
Cassandra M

July 10, 2008
I sat in the theater so absolutely stunned by this ridiculous, boring disjointed rot of a movie. I just could not believe that any person could have give this trip the green light. Not since The Mist has a movie been so badly written, acted and directed and I find it astonishing that anyone liked it. One of the other commenter's stated that the people in the theater were laughing and clapping??? I don't know what theater he goes to, but it must have been filled with escaped mental patients with sever vision and hearing impairment.

It is so sad to see huge amounts of money being pumped in to create such garbage whilst people starve around the world. I feel quite perturbed that these Hollywood movie makers have such low respect for their audiences, what is wrong with them.

Just an example of the stupidity in this movie

1) Eddie and the lady are thrown from huge Dave and hit the concrete after falling like, 100 metres and were fine! 2) that extremely irritating bursting out of the closet gay alien, just moronic 3) the stereotypical black guy theme peppered throughout the movie, I would have found that very offensive if I were black 4)the tiny Eddie talking to a crowd of people form the large Eddie-spaceships tongue, i mean how could anybody hear a 1cm alien whisper talking 10 metres away!! 5)the aliens look, act, talk the same as Humans, this just showed no imagination and lack of care 6)the noises and behavior and ability of spaceship-Dave seems to go unquestioned by all the characters. Somebody who can eat 30 huge hot dogs in like 5 seconds, i am sure, would arouse suspicion.

I know I am being very critical of this movie and I am aware that the movie is meant to be a light, silly comedy. However, the movie is a perfect paradigm of everything that is wrong with Hollywood these days - ignorance and laziness.
Apeneck F

July 13, 2008
tina fey, adam sandler, mike myers, and now eddie murphy, saturday night live looks like THE way to break into the hollywood fast lane this summer. it's just too bad none of these efforts by former SNL alumni are any good. whassup with that???!!!??? does going to the lorne michael school of high expectations doom creative output? i really don't know. this one has so-so intentions, the old "humanity can be seen as wondrous if the outsider/spectator comes from far enough away" carpet thrown out again (remember "E.T.", or "Starman"?). murphy is the big problem here. he's out of ideas. in fact for the first half hour to 45 minutes, it hurt me to watch him...it was embarrassing...maybe there's not a funny bone in his body anymore. by the end the movie finally seems to find itself, but it's far too late at that point. ms. gabrielle union and ms. elizabeth banks try to lift this into appealing territory, but they simply haven't the strength. wait for the dvd if you must.
DerekA101
DerekA101

May 20, 2008
I normally don't rate movies unless I have seen them, but I HAVE to break the trend here. All you have to do is watch the trailer to know this is CRAP. The whole concept of the movie is complete and utter garbage! Eddie Murphy is really looking to sweep the Razzies this year AGAIN!

From what I've heard from a friend of mine, and some trusted people here on Flixster, and just from the trailer alone, this movie is 100% avoidable!
MANUGINO
MANUGINO

July 11, 2008
It was funny at times and original to a certain extent but really a movie to rent. A massive fireball from space hits New York's Central Park and an ordinary man emerges unscathed. The man turns out to be a spaceship operated by 100 human-looking aliens who are one-quarter inch tall and seeking a way to save their planet; complications ensue when their captain falls in love with an Earth woman who's always picked losers for previous romances.
Sean N.
Sean N.

May 12, 2010
Believe it or not, I actually enjoyed this movie. Yeah, it's not Eddie Murphy's best comedy ever but I thought it was all right. The concept of 'aliens beaming down to Earth and disguising themselves using a spaceship that looks like a real person' was actually pretty clever. I believe that the best comedy from this film comes from the comedy between the 'aliens'. The humor between the other members of this film wasn't all that memorable.
Bryce I

July 8, 2008
Not a bad idea for a family-friendly sci-fi film, but loses itself with silly, and gross comedy. While being a step up for Norbit, it's a step down for 20th Century Fox.