Meet the Parents Reviews

½ September 18, 2010
Uses very quiet like performances with hilarious outcomes. A different comedy that stands out amongst the toilet-slapstick-fart-joke movies that are coming out nowadays.
Directors Cat
½ February 3, 2012
I wish some of the slapstick gags were funnier than they were but there's no denying that as a whole, the movie was funny. DeNiro and Ben Stiller were absolutely flawless working with eachother and they had a lot of comedic charm. I do wish that it focused more on the laughs than the sitcomish drama. It wasn't perfect but Meet the Parents deals with issues in a hilarious and equally energetic way.
thmtsang
July 13, 2007
Very funny movie about a guy who meets his girlfriend's parents for the first time. Her dad is suspicious of him. Love Robert's character. Owen is great as the ex-boyfriend. Feel sorry for Ben, should have gone home earlier!
October 29, 2011
This being the first installment it was actually funny, had some good gags and was worth watching, but I felt that some adjustments could have been made, casting in particular, and they should have made it so there could have never been any follow on's!
January 9, 2009
A typical rom-com that's slightly ill-balanced between romance and comedy. Robert De Niro's performance seemed terribly odd to me. Thankfully, I don't have to say the same for the rest of the cast.
DreamExtractor
½ February 27, 2011
Meet the Parents is one of the best comedies out there. The plot is how every guy feels when meeting his girlfriends parents, espically the father, and it really works because for Greg Focker nothing goes right on his trip. The cast was perfect, Stiller and DeNiro are hilarious. This may have some of the greatest jokes in film history, its a laugh riot. I love this movie.
blkbomb
½ February 15, 2011
Jack Byrnes: You tried to milk him, didn't you you sick son of a bitch?

"First comes love. Then comes interrogation."

Yeah, it may have been downhill from Meet The Parents on, but the first movie in the trilogy is one of the funniest movies of the first decade of the 21st century. The film is perfectly cast with Robert De Niro, Ben Stiller, Teri Polo and Owen Wilson in a great supporting role. The movie puts it's lead character, Gaylord Focker into many bad situations and let's him dig himself even deeper.

The movie is made up of great scene after great scene. I can't think of a part of the movie where I didn't laugh. From the first dinner with the Parents to the  pool volleyball game(funniest scene in the movie) to the final spy cam footage. It's a laugh-a-minute movie that doesn't use the typical raunchy sex and gross out humor. It's actually pretty mild with it's material. The situations are funny enough as they are. So, there's really no need to try to pull off some cheap laughs.

The story is about a male nurse who goes on a trip with his girlfriend. They go to her parents house where her sister is about to marries. Greg intends on asking Pam to marry him, but wants to ask her father for his permission first. That is until he finds out that Jack Byrnes is a total psycho and is hard pressed on Pam not being with Greg. The chemistry on screen is very good between the leads and none of the material comes off as forced, although, some of it easily could have.

Meet The Parents is an extremely funny movie that I can watch multiple times. I still laugh as hard as I did the first time. It's a really fun movie.

Jack Byrnes: Greg, nobody's expecting much out of you so if I set you up with the ball, you think you could jump up and spike it?
Greg Focker: Yeah. I'd have to be pretty high, but yeah.
Jack Byrnes: I bet you would, Panama Red.
TheDudeLebowski65
½ June 29, 2011
When this film came out, I thought it was one of the funniest films that I had seen. The cast was great, and the film had plenty of funny moments. However the years have taken it's tole on Meet The Parents. The film is still a very funny comedy of course, but there's been lots more funnier films that have come out in recent years. Meet The Parents is every son in law's nightmare, and the premise of the story is terrific. Ben Stiller plays Greg "Gaylord" Focker a practicing male nurse who endures a disastrous weekend with his girlfriend's parents of which he intends to marry. Meet The Parents is a funny film that delivers good laughs and it also has a good cast as well. Though since the release of Meet The Parents, there has been better comedies, Meet The Parents is still a comedy worth seeing. This is one of Ben Stiller's best films, and it's fun to see De Niro and Stiller clash on screen. Meet The Parents may one day be seen as a classic of the genre, and it surely has elements that makes it a classic. The film worth seeing and if you're wanting a good laugh, then this film is for you. Meet The Parents is the type of comedy that you don't watch often, so that the jokes are still relevant to you, and seem refreshing everytime you watch it. Because like I stated before, theres been better comedies since it's release, and it be a shame to watch this film to a point where its not funny for you anymore. Meet The Parents is for me, a film to watch once a year just to keep the jokes fresh and have a good time watching it. A worthy comedy to watch. A future classic for sure.
May 11, 2011
A very good and funny film with good performances but leaves a lot to want.
3niR
February 15, 2010
It seemed ridiculous but not boring. I felt sorry for Greg Focker (Ben Stiller). It's alright to watch but not that funny in my opinion.
movieguru12
February 19, 2008
Watched this one to see what all the hype was about with these three films. I watched this one & to be honest it's not the best comedy. Yes there are some funny parts, but with a comedy I need to be laughing the whole movie, not just at certain parts. Not Ben Stiller's & Robert De Niro's best movie. They're both great actors & this very poorly showed off their acting skills. Watch it if you want too, but don't expect a great comedy out of this film.
TheGame90
January 21, 2011
Old school comedy in the modern film era. It's fun. And it's great that De Niro can adapt his roles to his age.
April 23, 2007
20/01/2011 (DVD)

I enjoyed this more when I was younger but it still managed to extract laughter from me. I haven't yet seen the sequel ('Meet the Fockers') or the third installment to this feature ('Little Fockers') which is screening at the pictures in January-February 2011 so I decided to watch 'em all beginning with 'Meet the Parents' as the intro to this trilogy.

I had to readjust myself so that I was in teen mode so that this would be easy to laugh at. I'm a little older now and I must admit that silly and stupid flicks hardly make me laugh these days, well, not like my teen days anyways. Half the time the character played by 'Ben Stiller' is so annoying that I started hoping that his girlfriend would dump him for the other looser.

It's a managable sitting if you can stand and endure the stupidity of 'Ben Stiller' who seems to be the same in all the movies I see him in, but I still watch them (guess I'm stupid too). I guess sane people will think this is lame but I'm not that sane so it jiggled me a few times. Not bad.
½ January 14, 2010
Wonderful! I enjoyed this movie more than I enjoyed a lot of comedies nowadays!
BEACHBUNNI
February 5, 2008
This movie is so funny i loved it!!! one word HILLARIOUS!!!!
Screeny
½ August 9, 2010
Not the best comedy
July 21, 2010
B+
Chiefilms
½ March 15, 2010
Flixter Deletion no. _, Robert De Niro's last good movie of the new millenium, look at the resume. Showtime, Analyze That, Shark Tale, City by The Sea, Hide and Seek, Godsend, Everybody's Fine, The Good Shepherd, Meet The Fockers, Stardust, Righteous Kill, 15 Minutes, and The Score. The Score wasn't bad but it wasn't great. De Niro fell hard.
FilmFanatik
January 12, 2007
Not a fan.
June 24, 2007
A laugh out loud comedy with two impressive comedic performances from both Ben Stiller and Robert De Niro. De Niro is the future in-law from Hell determined to break up his daughter and a guy who is....a nurse (!). The volleyball spike to the face is the highlight of this movie, as well as seeing Stiller be in full "disaster-prone" mode, where he's at his best.