Box Office Guru Wrapup: Spartans March Past Rambo to #1

Summary

Moviegoers chose an army of spoof comedians over an aging one-man killing machine as Meet the Spartans outgunned Sylvester Stallone's Rambo to claim the number one spot in a close race at the North American box office. Both new releases walked away with solid performances and should become moneymakers. Back to Article

Comments

Mr. Kong

Sam jacobs

Stupid **** can be funny.

I doubt Meet the Spartans is.

are you aknddon?

Jan 28 - 12:54 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Come now my friend. Based on their previous works I find it hard to believe these guys capable of anything close to the brilliant Mr. Brooks. Mel Brooks wouldn't use the script to Epic Movie to wipe his azz for fear that his excrement would be insulted. Surely you troll on this one.

Jan 28 - 12:57 PM

DarthWonka

Jesse Rodgers

I lol'd yet again. We posters are funnier than Meet the Spartans. Where's OUR millions?

Jan 28 - 01:01 PM

DarthWonka

Jesse Rodgers

Jan 28 - 01:01 PM

rt_hire_me

Teague Bates

Yeah, come on guys, sometimes you just gotta see a dumb movie. You see, me and aj come from a small town where ticket prices are still $1.50 and, I'm not saying there's a lot of inbreeding but you know how people say cousins don't count as a first kiss? Well in these hills, cousins count.

Jan 28 - 01:29 PM

TombstoneLawDog

Daniel Klein

That does it, this post has inspired me: I'm quitting my job and making a 'mockumentary' where I just videotape every time I take a dump. In my viral ad campaign, I'll take turns calling it 'Dumperfield' and 'The Dark Dump.' Maybe even 'No Dumpry for Old Men.'

I'm budgeting myself at $180 dollars to include all the food and laxatives I'll need, and I'm going to splurge on a much nicer toilet seat cover. ..investors are of course welcome-- I may need to make glossy prints of my dumps for the posters.

Based upon the performance of this disgusting, unworthy pathetic insult to all that is funny and intelligent, I expect I'll make at least $8 million on opening weekend. ...no reason that the vast army of bleating-sheep mindless lemmings who enjoy this sh#t shouldn't finance *MY* lifestyle...

Jan 28 - 02:15 PM

TombstoneLawDog

Daniel Klein

It just occured to me I didn't identify the source of my anger (in case it isn't obvious): 'Meet the Spartans.'

To review, Seltzer and Friedberg should be sent to the same circle of Hell reserved for Uwe Bolle, preferably BEFORE they're allowed to film again.

Jan 28 - 02:19 PM

love_flag

Laurence Houle-Collin

I reckon this is pretty much the funniest comment I've ever read. Damn, you people on RT as such smartasses I get jealous sometimes.

By the way, yes, I also felt something physically very unpleasant when I read about Meet the Spartan's triumph. It was something like having death eat me from the inside.

Jan 28 - 02:30 PM

Rokk101

Matt Thayer

I haven't seen any demographics, but I'd bet the avg. ticket buyer to "Meet The Spartans" was around 18 and male. We're one step closer to "Oww, My Balls!"

Jan 28 - 03:00 PM

tomwaitsjrHAPPYICONOCLAST

Greg Guro

Method Man is good on the T.V. show "The Wire."

Errr... whoever does the make-up on Carmen Electra does a good job, considering her hilarious arrest photo.

SOrry, can't think of 3 positive things to say.

Jan 28 - 03:12 PM

Schumacherh8ter

Scott D'Agostino

Most of the people who saw "Meet The Sparatans" were teenagers. As one, I weep for all humanity.

Jan 28 - 03:20 PM

Spiderbash

Tommy Thevenet

I am teenager 13 and I told all my friends to not see Meet The Sparatans. I told them that it would be just like Epic Movie. Yet still my friends told me that they thought Meet The Sparatans looked funny. I swear am I the only teenager that has gotten smarter since seeing Epic Movie? I never want to see that awful movie. I saw Rambo instead of Meet The Sparatans. My friends had to come with a plan to get into the movie. One of my friends' dad had to buy the tickets for us. It was so worth it. What the hell is up with my fellow teenagers?

Jan 28 - 04:09 PM

kooks25

noel ortiz

Same scenario for me too.

I'm a teen and I told everyone I knew not too watch this movie.

I directed them to put up signs in front of every theater they've ever been to saying "DON'T WATCH THIS FILM"

Jan 28 - 08:15 PM

ksheepir

Randy Ramirez

I want to leave a comment... but I don't even know what to say. They always made crap movies. We just never went to see them. They were made with no budget because everyone knew they would make no money. At least that gave them charm. This has killed the movie. Nine out of ten of the new flicks coming out are either remakes, adaptations or sequels. Of those remaining there's a good chance it will be all out garbage. Say what you want about Cloverfield. Yes it used old ideas and done before techniques, but I still look at it with awe, because it's akin to a xerox machine learing to doodle - it's not great work but its impressive that it can do something on its own!

Jan 28 - 04:15 PM

Noggy3230

hank azaria

Ouch 27 Dresses over Spartans.... h3ll I would just sit in the movie theatre hallway and think about good movies or light my $9 on fire and pee on it. That would be more entertaining and satisfying.

Jan 28 - 04:43 PM

kooks25

noel ortiz

Same scenario for me too.

I'm a teen and I told everyone I knew not too watch this movie.

Jan 28 - 08:15 PM

ajmk123

jacob hester

Okay watch the scene where they are leaving Sparta, it is very Mel Brooksesque

Jan 28 - 09:34 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

OK, maybe they manage to mimic some of Brooks dumber stuff, but the greatness of Brooks was he used dumb slapstick comedy to mask intelligent relevant issues. Is that what Spartans does? or does it just do like all these other "Spoof" movies do and plagarize better films with people who act retarded with no relevence whatsoever? I'll take your word for it until this comes out at blockbuster and I can watch it for 99 cents.

Jan 29 - 09:25 AM

acton acton

matt hall

It Is Official Crack is Back, Spartans actually had an audeince? Did people not learn from epic and date I did not last for the 1st 5 minutes for either of them Go see Rambo You cannot use age as a defense, Harrison Ford, Sean Connery, Michael Douglas, Bruce Willis the list goes on with old farts kicking ***, this just has more blood and 80s violence. I agree with everyone for once on this site I applause you all.

Jan 29 - 12:54 AM

jeanpaul

solomon sassoon

Just came back seeing JOHN RAMBO.
It's an Excellent action movie, engaging from start to end.
2N'D BEST IN THE RAMBO SERIES, in my opinion (second only to "Firt Blood").
Too voilent for younger audiences, but a very impressive and "correct" Rambo-movie, concerning character, action and overall theme.

The dumb, haughty critics wouldn't know a good movie if it hit them opposite and across their proudy faces.
Besides, they're so occupied praising and hailing Coen Brothers's too-talkative and dissapointing "No Country for old men", with all their force and might, that they don't seem to be able to see or notice anything else around--- including how very stupid and baised towards "JOHN RAMBO" they (the critics) really are.

That said, Rambo is no easy film. It's voilence is, at times, too close to reality.
One shudders to think if this kind of stuff really occured out there in Burma... Also, since the voilence is not "tarantino-cartoonish" (which glorifies voilence) it may serve to repel and teach people how nightmarish, ugly and harmful weapons really are, especially in the hands of terrible people.

I loved "Rambo"'s ending too. Very touching and deserving.
Welcome home, Ol' friend.
It sure had been time for him to come home.

Jan 29 - 03:37 AM

jeanpaul

solomon sassoon

No surprise about "Meet the Spartans" taking no. 1 spot. Natural.

While JOHN RAMBO is an expertly made and engaging action/war movie-- it's basic theme is dark. The main charcater of John Rambo is in anguish (such is the character)-- and correct with the overall theme and character-- the movie has no humor (as it should correctly be).

"Meet the Spartans" allows you to laugh out loud, and be entertained for a couple of hours, and people want that.
Well, I prefer "Meet the Spartans"'s stupid and low humor, to the dark and ugly humor of the Coen brothers's. Man, they make depressing movies...

Besides, the way "300" took itself seriosly, while painting the homo Spartans as the ultimate good guys and the arabs as the ultimate villains... it deserves to be spoofed at.

Jan 29 - 03:47 AM

muffin7

Brenton Steinhilber

Did this take into account all of the teenagers who bought tickets to Spartans so that they could sneak into Rambo?

Jan 29 - 05:33 AM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Jan 29 - 09:25 AM

Nine Movies That Bring the Funk

Weekly Binge
Weekly Binge

Watch Arrested Development

SpongeBob's Back!
SpongeBob's Back!

See trailer for his 3D adventure

Photo gallery of great movie spaceships