47% Sin City: A Dame to Kill For Aug 22

Mega Python Vs. Gatoroid Reviews

366weirdmovies
366weirdmovies

September 1, 2011
A former pop star (Debbie Gibson) sneaks pythons into the Everglades, so to restore the natural balance another former pop star (Tiffany) feeds the alligators experimental steroids. Remember how MEGA PYTHON was so ludicrous and over-the-top that it became perversely entertaining? Well, this one's just dumb; when your monster movie's only real selling point is a catfight between middle-aged teen pop idols, you've got issues.
DrStrangeblog
DrStrangeblog

July 7, 2012
"Why would anyone think this is crazy? We're feeding chickens full of steroids to gators. There's nothing crazy about that. What could possibly go wrong??"

This is a ridiculous movie, but lines like that let you know they know this is a ridiculous movie, and consequently I'll be damned if I wasn't entertained. Gonzo environmentalist Deborah Gibson has been liberating pythons kept as pets back into Florida's everglades, and now that the habitat has reached critical mass, park ranger Tiffany decides to rescue the dwindling alligator population by increasing their size by feeding them experimental steroids. Two days later, both species have overrun Miami! Some hilariously bad B-movie acting and the absolute worst CGI you will find in the 21st century would normally doom this kind of creature feature (like with Gibson's earlier Mega Shark Vs. Giant Octopus) but this time we experience the So Bad It's Good Effect. A group of hillbillies seemingly transplanted from Alabama shoot everything in sight, one of them has a dog named Bubba, Mickey Dolenz of the Monkees appears as a guest speaker and gets eaten, at a fundraiser a local reptile expert warns "If you have a weapon, get it out now!" upon which everyone demonstrates they were packing, and after her fiancee is devoured by a python Tiffany wails, "Those snakes are ruining everything!" I even got some kicks during the credit crawl, when an actor named A Martinez was introduced I was waiting for the appearance of Another Martinez.

Music history lesson: Deborah (then 'Debbie') Gibson and Tiffany were the Christina Aguilera and Britney Spears circa 1999 of the late-'80s, two teenagers bursting onto the pop scene at the top of the charts. Gibson fans hated Tiffany, and Tiffany fans hated Gibson, but I doubt either singer harbored resentment towards the other. But for those fans, if they still exist, this is your dream movie, pitting the pair on opposite sides of the law and having the ultimate throwdown - this movie certainly gives people what they want! An epic catfight ensues, complete with theme music, name-calling, rolling on top of each other, food fighting, and getting soaked in a lake.

Gibson is more the looker these days and markedly better actress (and much skinnier than I remember her from Mega Shark), while Tiffany is undisputed queen of the Tit Parade - she runs around a lot and probably should have worn a chin guard. Gibson calls Tiffany a bitch at least eight times, and with every heated encounter between them you know the stacks will blow at some point, so you gotta hand it to them by delivering on that promise. Both go all out and seem to have fun with the rivalry perception by agreeing to this project's stunt casting, with the capper having them trade spoken lines which were lyrics from Tiffany's massive hit 'I Think We're Alone Now.' Maybe they're two has-beens now in their early 40's desperate enough to be part of any project remotely affiliated with the entertainment industry by smearing pie cream across each other's chest, but I prefer to think the former explanation holds more truth.
March 22, 2014
** Spoiler alert.** Wanted something to watch while ironing and happened on this on SyFy. ... Wow. ... This was a terribly bad movie. I like movies like "Alien," and am usually fairly interested in monster movies with a ridiculous premise (like "Tremors" ... silly but still entertaining), but this one was REALLY awful. Just my opinion, but ... . Bad dialogue, wooden acting ... and the one character I cared anything about (older park ranger woman) got eaten. Other than her (and Dr. Ortiz), I didn't see one main character I wasn't actually rooting for the huge gators and pythons to kill. I'd give it a no-star rating but it doesn't go that low. :) Turned it off after realizing it WAS going to be as bad as the first few minutes promised (and looked up the plot online to see what else was going to happen). Think it's one where all the actors involved wish that all copies could be destroyed. :)
March 1, 2014
Era exactamente aquilo que estava espera...
April 3, 2013
"Mega Python vs. Gatoroid" is an abysmal movie that doesn't deliver on any front and will leave you angry and depressed. Here's a question. What is the minimal thing you would ask a movie called "Mega Python vs. Gatoroid" to deliver? how about a fight between the two titular monsters? well guess what. There is no "Mega Python vs. Gatoroid" in this movie! Oh sure, you get plenty of pythons eating gators and gators eating pythons, but there's no big climactic fight between two giant beasts as the world looks on in horror, hoping the two will destroy each other. The film, which is already an incredibly cheaply made adventure (?) film feels even cheaper once you have finished watching it. How desperate do you have to be with your crappy monster movie that you change the title at the last second to trick the people who enjoyed "Mega Shark vs. Giant Octopus" into watching it? Well, let's find out.

First of all, the movie's special effects are terrible. Now, that isn't anything that's really surprising, this is after all, a made-for-tv monster movie. And judging a movie on its special effects can be harsh sometimes. Even some great films can appear dated after a while because they were made when the technology to create sets, creatures and other effects were limited. Look at black-and-white films for example, or even silent films. You wouldn't give negative points to a movie made before 1930 because it was both silent and black and white. What differentiates this movie from other films with bad special effects is that no one cared while making the movie and it shows. There are so many stupid mistake made with the effects. There is a scene for example where a giant python is killed with dynamite, but in the chunks seen floating in the water afterwards you can clearly see the head of a giant alligator too. There's just no excuse for a mistake that bad. How about another scene where Debbie Gibson's character "Dr. Nikki Miley" falls in the water and comes up again, with the incredibly fake-looking scratch marks on her arm melting off because they were using cheap makeup that wasn't waterproof to draw them? It's incredibly clear too that the actors were given very little direction while the movie was shot because there are constant moments where characters don't see enormous reptiles to their sides or sneaking up on them and characters shoot wildly in every direction trying to fend off the creatures. In countless scenes if something is off-screen it simply ceases to exist, despite the fact that these are 50-foot creatures we are dealing with.

The poor effects make the bad acting seem even worse. There is only one decent performance in the movie and it's Kathryn Joosten, who is also the only likeable character. Everyone else is sleepwalking through the terrible dialogue but it almost becomes hard to blame the players here because it's clear that the director also didn't care at all what she was tying her name to. The story is utter non-sense. It doesn't take a biologist to realize that not only do steroids not affect genetic material (so big muscular gators that have consumed steroids do not, in fact give birth to even bigger, more muscular gators), but it is ridiculous to assume that even if these creatures could grow about 50 times their normal size within a few generations and six month's time, there is no way that they would go un-noticed, much less no go around bothering people. Are we really supposed to believe as well that there wouldn't be some sort of army presence within a few minutes of these creatures showing up in a big city and destroying numerous buildings? oh wait, the people making the film didn't care enough to address that.

What else do you need to read to turn you away from this movie? The story, editing, acting, special effects and dialogue are all completely worthless and sure, you'll get a couple of laughs at the movie's expense, but you have to sit through and hour and a half of this so they get really boring after a while. If some "so bad it's good" laughs is all you want, just watch the trailer for this movie or watch any number of 60's monster movies that actually had people cast because the crew though they might be good instead of their "celebrity status". You might actually get some decent gore, one-liners and nudity to boot too. You have no idea how frustrating watching this movie is. After a while you keep lowering your expectations and demands thinking "ok, if this character one annoying character dies and we get at least one decent monster fight towards the end, it'll be worth it" but no amount of continuously lowering standards will make the movie worth your time. If you start watching the movie and you're a 14-year old kid that thinks to himself "maybe I'll see that busty sherif take off her top, that will make my day!" remember, this was made for TV so you won't get any of that and no over-the-top violence or gore either. "Mega Python vs. Gatoroid" is terrible, so terrible that you'll be adding it to your list of "worst movies I've ever seen" and "Things I regret in my lifetime" after you're done watching it. (Dvd, APril 2, 2013)
October 19, 2012
I love these types of movies and the best part of this one was the 'monkee' reference...Tiff and Deb weren't too bad, I've seen worse
July 15, 2012
A typical corny sci-fi. It's fun to watch to laugh at something corny.
July 1, 2012
Adequate levels of "wut".
June 17, 2012
Mega shark + Mega piranha = another crappy ass movie
Whirl W.
June 9, 2012
It wasn't even about the pythons or the gators. It was just another publicity stunt for two former pop stars. They wrote the songs that didn't fit with the scenes, so you can tell that they obviously used this as a promotonal movie. The CG sucked, and when I say sucked, I mean it really sucked. It's not 2011 CG. It was pre-2000 CG. The characters were idiots. The acting was actually okay, but the writing was so terrible that I feel pity for the performers. There were 1 or 2 funny parts, but I'm getting ahead of myself.The title says "Mega Python Vs. Gatoroid", indicating conflict between the two. There was only one brief fight and for the majority of the film, they're working together. Oh, and how can giant reptiles invading Maiami, one of America's most famous cities, not cause any attention from local news reporters and state officials? Why would they need to call the National Guard if they should be there already?!?!?

Overall, it was all about Tiffany and Debbie. Take that away, and it's crap. Well, it's already crap, but it would be crappier crap.
Kelsea S.
June 8, 2012
It's awful, but so awful that it's perfect Friday night entertainment.
Kaya O.
March 30, 2012
.... Why, just... why? Although I thought the bit with "the Assylum" on the blimp was funny, especially when the blimp deflated like a cartoon balloon!
March 11, 2012
Horrible effects and a terrible ending. This film got a lot of promotion because of it's two leading stars but I didn't care for either one of them and not to mention they both die very close to the ending. There is hardly a fight between the Mega Pythons and Gatoriods and most the time they're walking next to each other eating people. It's downright awful.
Dom O.
January 18, 2012
A movie with so much potential that turned out monster-ably.
July 6, 2011
its ok for a syfy movie.
Karen H.
December 8, 2011
Sadly this movie failed to make it into the 'so bad it's good' category and was just bad. Really really bad. The CGI is appalling - although had the rest of the movie been better shot this may have added to the appeal. The real problem is the standard of acting from the two 'leading' ladies. It is awful. They are awful - even given decent lines for what was ultimately an attempt at a B movie they failed. Epically. Poor sets and terrible special effects could have become part of the movie's charm had it not been for the absolutely dreadful performance by Gibson and Tiffany. A real shame as the movie had great potential. Overall it's a very very long 87 minutes. I know because I must have checked my watch about six times throughout the course of it.
December 4, 2011
Can't stop watching.
August 10, 2011
Good enough for bad cgi and laughs
July 29, 2011
was fun. which is what it was supposed to be