Megamind - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Megamind Reviews

½ December 15, 2010
An entertaining, smart and funny animation that doesn't have a very original or imaginative story but is at least deliciously amusing, with some great twists that I never saw coming. It is infinitely better than Despicable Me, with which comparisons seem inevitable.
TheDudeLebowski65
August 14, 2011
Megamind is a highly entertaining and inventive animated comedy that deserves far more praise than what it has received. I really thought that the film was one of those films that really exceeded expectations, and was quite good with the story, voice cast and 9of course animation. The film has plenty of good comedic bits, and to viewers who enjoy a fun, entertaining comedy that is engaging from start to finish, Megamind is definitely worth your time. I thought that the idea here was very good, and of course simple, and while using that, the filmmakers were able to pull off something quite memorable in the process. For what it is, it's an impressive Will Ferrell vehicle, and here he does some very good work as the lead character, Megamind. If you love animated features, Megamind is a film for you. With some great on-screen gags, well crafted story, and good performances from the talent voicing the characters, Megamind succeeds at being a wonderful animated comedy, one that uses the bare minimum to really grab your attention. I felt that this movie definitely deserved more praise than what it initially got, and it should belong among the most memorable genre films. Megamind has great characters, a good idea that just grabs your attention. What Megamind does so well is that it uses its cast to really elevate the film's material, and since the cast is comprised of some of today's funniest actors, it's what gives the film its edge to make it stand out among other animated features, that and it's visuals, effective direction and well thought out comedy. Megamind is well worth seeing if you enjoy animated features and it's a movie that is well worth your time.
½ August 14, 2013
Adorable and refreshingly deep, in regard to the theorizing over the nature of good and evil. Is a villain still a villain without a hero? Can there be one without the other? Can one create goodness, or will absolute power corrupt absolutely?
½ December 3, 2010
After a long long run of mediocrity from Dreamworks the studio finally started to find their stride starting with 'Kung Fu Panda' and the underrated 'Over the Hedge'. Then along came this little gem which once again uses the tired superhero genre but actually makes it work. This film kinda reminded me of 'Mystery Men', its a tired formula and stupid, but its so very funny.

The twist is simply we are following the supervillain and how is daily life unfolds, not totally original of course but making him a bit of an imbecile and buffoon is a nice touch. Basically 'Megamind' is the supervillain of 'Metro City' and his nemesis is 'Metro Man'.

Both these guys are aliens who were saved from their dying home worlds by their parents, both stuffed into escape pods and blasted into space ala the Superman origins. The hero is basically a parody of Superman with his good looks, dark slick hair, powers etc...whilst Megamind is more of a genius without super powers but with super intellect.

Megamind: 'Your weakness is copper? Y-you're kidding right?'

But instead of a 'Lex Luthor' copy we have a quirky retro 50's design for Megamind, he clearly has been based on all those classic black n white schlock sci-fi movies where some of the aliens had huge vein riddled craniums (no veins here though). Both end up on Earth but one has the good fortune of a good upbringing, the other is brought up in a prison which warps him, I don't think I need to tell you which.

What I like about this film is the way Megamind actually beats his nemesis and we see what happens after that. Most films show the obvious good vs evil and we all know what will happen, but this film shows us what happens to the evil genius once he's actually won. And that is one small part that is so amusing, the way Megamind and his sidekick are so amazed and stunned they have actually won is hilarious! they never thought it would actually happen, and of course when it does happen they dunno what to actually do.

From there on we witness Megamind entering depression to the point where he must create a new superhero simply so he can have mega battles again. The whole story seems so simple yet its so very clever, what really works here is the fantastic voice work by Will Ferrell who kills it as 'Megamind', this character is so likeable. The fast, snappy, paranoid dialog from this character along with his nervous twitchy body movements makes this guy highly amusing to watch.

Metro Man: 'Well, I think your warranty's about to expire!'
Megamind: 'Maybe I got an extended warranty!'
Metro Man: 'Warranties are invalid, if used beyond their intended purpose!'

Admittedly the start of the film is easily the best with the funniest moments, pretty much all sequences with Megamind and Metro Man verbally abusing each other rein supreme. The character of 'Tighten' isn't really anywhere near as fun, he serves his purpose but I found myself dying for more Megamind and Metro Man, Tighten does make the film more downbeat but that is his job so...

Metro Man: 'It's REVENGE, and it's best served cold!'
Megamind: 'But it can be easily reheated, in the microwave of evil!'

By now I'm sure the whole superhero thing might be getting annoying, depending on your tastes, this plot isn't gonna help. This whole thing has been done to death now no question, but on the visual side I can't fault it, the destruction on display is almost as good as any modern superhero flick right now. The characters look a bit goofy but everything else looks superb, truly award winning.

For me this film was all about the verbal, its fast, witty, inventive, clever and much more adult themed in my opinion. Much of this is merely in small quips, facial expressions and quick glances all blended together with excellent voice work, the whole thing feels more like an animated Mel Brooks spoof/parody and Ferrell helps give it that slightly grown up feel. In no way is this a dumb silly kids flick oh no, I'm very certain most kids won't appreciate what's going on here.

One negative point for me was the soundtrack which at times was awful. Actual tracks from various artists blasted out during action sequences which felt totally out of place and kinda lazy really. Lets not create our own musical score, we'll just stick in random music tracks yeah, job done.

Very clever and much smarter than you'd think, a character who starts off as a supervillain, becomes slightly good but with evil intentions, then becomes good with good intentions and finally becomes an all out superhero, nice rollercoaster. Its a little dark in places which is great but surprisingly funny throughout, in short its way better than 'Despicable Me'.
½ August 18, 2010
This animated flick about a super villain who suddenly questions his way of life after defeating his arch super hero came and went somewhat unnoticed when compared to the much better known Despicable Me. In fact it does not have to shy away from the comparison. When it comes to large scale action and people with super powers battling each other all over town this is like a distant cousin to this year's Man of Steel. The characters are fun, especially the sidekick, the animation flawless and the result is as entertaining and funny as they come.
½ March 22, 2013
A light animated effort that is neither dull nor exciting. It is sadly a bit unoriginal, but still features great visuals.
½ November 5, 2010
Typical of a lot of animated features lately this one's great looking (the animation's the real star here), with competent performances but, damn-it-all, the story's got no heart, resulting in frustrating lack of caring for anything happening on the screen.
paul o.
½ September 8, 2012
Having Brad Pitt in an animated film is a pure treat! This is not the best superhero animated feature, but its jokes and witty humor makes it enjoyable for its short 96 min run.
michael e.
February 20, 2011
One of the single funniest movies of all time, one of my favorite gags being the donkey kong reference. And all of the cast did a fantastic job. Plus the music was all perfectly picked out.
March 24, 2012
There are very few comedies like this still going, the action is strong and it does have a few soft touches to it, making it good for everyone to watch.
½ July 31, 2010
I'll say it: I like goofy movies like this. I don't care if it's not an entirely original idea or that it has all the makings of a weak film overall, I really loved watching this film. I haven't enjoyed a children's film like this since Tangled, both being goofy and similarly animated. This movie's best characteristic is that it's surprising, engaging, and has an unusual plot and ensemble of animated characters. The flipping of the dynamic between good and evil was interesting and full of grandeur like no other, including vibrant costumes, large scale special effects including explosions, and large machinery, gadgets, and gizmos that struck fear into every citizen of the city. The inclusion of Megamind's loss of an adversary is always a vibrant theme within the Batman/Joker relationship, and the fact that Megamind is only being a villain to gain some sense of warped acceptance was a strongly appreciated theme. I could easily praise every aspect of the plot and how each bit of the story was either a complete surprise or delight. I actually laughed out loud during many parts which I almost never do, even with really great comedies. It's not exactly a feel good film, but more of chance to explore the distorted view of what feel good means. Does it have anything to do with looking at the world as a good place where you want to be the hero, or one that is so simperingly good that you feel no inclusion within it. I liked the unbelievable look of the film, the romance which was unexpected and could possibly be categorized as feel good, and the message that anyone can change. It was just a great film to sit down and simply enjoy, whether youâ(TM)re the child it was made for or the adult who will enjoy it anyway.
½ January 28, 2012
With an original story and terrific animation, Megamind conquest the audience of all ages. Fresh.
Directors Cat
½ November 13, 2011
It's been done before but Megamind isn't just another re-hash. Of course I would never expect this as it was coming from dreamworks.
October 3, 2011
A wonderfully original and utterly brillant animaded adventure filled with action and laughs. A great soundtrack and just flat-out great fun from start to finish. A wonderful new take on the superhero vs. super villan story and has fun with it. A great movie thats filled with spectacular animation and a wonderful cast. Will Ferrell is a comic genious in this film. Brad Pitt is a blast. You wont be able to get enough of this film.
jamers2011
½ November 16, 2010
This was actually extremely entertaining! I definitely recommend this one.
theunknownhobo
November 16, 2010
I really liked this movie. Although it was not the most original story line thats where the similarites with it as a film end and it becomes one of the most unique movies I have seen in recent years. The humour is intelligent and satirical to a fault, the names are big and the setting in which the brilliantly animated characters play out their lives in is breathtakingly real. An instant classic.
movieguru12
November 6, 2010
Where do I even begin. I saw this movie on the second day of its opening weekend, November 6, 2010. I'd seen 3D movies before, but never in Real D)) 3D. From the moment that I put on those Real D)) 3D glasses just to watch an 3D trailer (they showed two the one I'm about to talk about & one for the movie Tangled coming out that just looks adorable), anyway, butterflies were coming out right at me & my sister, which is who I went to see this with & I was amazed. The 3D in this movie was amazing from buildings crumbling to Megamind & other characters such as Roxanne Ritchi, Minion & Metro Man. But lets get back to the plot. The movie starts off with Megamind's parents sending him away when he's 8 years old. He goes to school, which he calls scool, because the "h" is completely faded. At school, Megamind (Will Ferrell) is forced to compete with Metro Man. It's just him & Minion (David Cross), his only true friend. Megamind is the one left out in everything & is the one who know one talks to. This is the reason why Megamind choses to become a villian. He ends up in prison & escapes to ruin the town's celebrating of naming a museum after Mega Man. Megamind & Minion scheme & construct a plan to kill Metro Man. They kidnap Roxanne Ritchi (Tina Fey) & contact Metro Man & he says he is coming to save Roxanne. Metro Man lands into a copper trap that Megamind sets up & dies (or that's what everyone thinks at this moment in the movie). So Megamind is all happy until he realizes that without a hero in the city to fight being a villian isn't any fun. So he turns Hal (Jonah Hill), a camera man, into a superhero named Titan or Tighten as he spells out in a later part of the movie. Megamind trains him & is successful until he realizes that the only reason he agreed to it was to become the boyfriend of Roxanne. Roxanne becomes in love with the morphed version of Bernard (Ben Stiller), a librarian aka Megamind & is shocked & upset when she finds out who it really is. Soon, Titan is out to destroy the city & Megamind turns to Roxanne to help him. They go to Metro Man's place only to find out that Metro Man is still alive & that copper is not his weakness. Metro Man, however refuses to help so it's just Megamind & Roxanne. They both defeat Titan & in the end Roxanne realizes that she is in love with Megamind & Megamind becomes the town's hero. This movie was incredibly adorable & it is a great movie for anyone who is looking for a good laugh or a good movie to watch with your family. DreamWorks, you did a good job in producing this diamond of a true & definitive 3D classic! :) I'm also so glad that I have this on dvd now :) :) :)
Movie Monster
½ September 18, 2011
Megamind is an evil "genius" and nemesis of Metro Man, Metro City's finest defeneder. After fianlly defeating him, Megamind takes over the city and fills it up with crime 24/7. However, this makes Megamind bored and decides to create a superhero that he can fight. Who is this superhero? It's Titan whose alter ego is Hal, the nerdiest kid in the city, and the camera man for the local news.

Ever since the last two Shrek sequels, I began to care a little less about Dreamworks movies. Other than How to Train Your Dragon, they all have to have the same moviemaking formula. They're all comedies sprinkled with pop culture references and subtle jokes aimed at the adult audience. Because I'm a fan of superhero and comic book movies, Megamind has now become one of my favorite Dreamworks films along with Shrek 1 & 2, Madagascar, Antz, etc. I'll make a list in the furure.

First off, the story. While it takes influence from others, it's quite original. It's themes of good and evil are taken seriously and at the same time, satarized. I can say that I have never seen a movie like this. The main parody of the film is Superman but I just really enjoyed the plot. The film was exciting and funny and well written. However, I'll give this a 70% because this movie isn't excellent but good for what it is.

Another thing I enjoyed about Megamind was the voice acting. It's probably the best aspect of the film. Will Ferrel was perfect for Megamind. Brad Pitt was fun as Metro Man, Jonah Hill was great as Hal as well as Tina Fey as Roxanne Ritchi who is also one of the cutest animated characters in recent years. David Cross was pretty good as Minion. His design and appearance reminds me of Klaus from American Dad. JK Simmons' inclusion is a good homage to the genre it satarizes. Plus, the animation is great too.

This is an amusing and very funny film to watch. Excellent voice acting, smart script and story, and cool animation. It's well edited and paced by Guilermo Del Toro. I'm not kidding. If you like superhero films, satires, or both, I reccomed this one.

"There is no Easter Bunny. There is no Tooth Fairy. There is no Queen of England."
September 25, 2010
It was interesting to learn that something like 75% of this movie's lines were improvised, but only because sometimes, the dialogue was really, really bad. It was like the director just deferred to Ferrell and Fey - which is safe at a Second City show - and let the recorder run till it was out of tape. I liked the story, overall, and it had a few good laughs, (for parents and for kids), but I think I liked the similar Despicable Me and The Incredibles better; Dreamworks was just a little late to the party with this one.
May 21, 2010
"Sorry! Sorry. He's just not used to positive feedback."

Megamind is a mixed bag in almost every way. The idea of a super-villain turned superhero would have been novel, if the superior and similar Despicable Me wouldn't have been released around the same. The movie tries it's best with abundant slapstick humor, but it's only sporadically funny. Some of the character designs are great (say what you will, but Roxanne is one hot computer animated character), but others are lane and not memorable (Titan, or "Tighten", I'm looking squarely at you). The settings and background as a whole are clean, bright, and colorful, but also very generic and uninteresting. The voice cast is full of big names, but they get very little opportunity to shine.

Megamind is by no means a bad movie, but with how competitive the genre of family computer animated movies has gotten in the last few years, it doesn't do nearly enough to stand out. It was decent enough to give a rental and I quite enjoyed some parts of it, but seeing it once will probably be enough for most people over the age of seven or eight.