Critic Review - Chicago Reader

More a puzzle than a meaningful story, it reminds me of how Edmund Wilson compared reading a mystery to eagerly unpacking a box of excelsior, only to find a few rusty nails at the bottom.

September 27, 2011 Full Review Source: Chicago Reader | Comments (10)
Chicago Reader
Top Critic IconTop Critic

Comments

Balaji K.

Balaji K

Lol.. It's funny that such half-baked people who are not smart enough to understand the complexity of the movie (and how stupid reviewer they are) are given a 'Top Critic' grade. ROFL.. I think I also can write in 'Chicago Reader'.. Mr.Jonathan, if you want to understand the movie, watch it several times and read most of the explanatory reviews/blogs about the movie in internet and especially read imdb trivia.

This is the best screenplay ever in the history of cinema. DOT.

Nov 20 - 10:08 AM

Alex Carawan

Alex Carawan

Huh? If you think Memento was the best screenplay ever in the history of cinema, this was what, like the second movie you've ever seen?
Memento is garbage, as is Christopher Nolan, the worst living director when it comes to strong female characters. Remember the Dark Knight? Remember how the ONLY woman in the movie was killed off halfway through? In Memento, Guy Pierce's wife doesn't even have a frickin' name. Like Batman's love interest, the wife in this movie was nothing more than a shallow plot device.
This is one of the few times I completely agree with Rosenbaum.

Dec 6 - 11:42 PM

Jared Reynolds

Jared Reynolds

So the only reason you hate the movie and think it's garbage is because it didn't have strong female characters? Wow dude get a grip. It was still a great screenplay and great movie. If it had a strong female character then you would have liked it huh? While I agree with you on your point of Chris not having strong female characters in his films, you're throwing the movie out on that basis alone. When if you don't look at it in your biased POV, yes it didn't have strong female characters but it was an great film.

Jan 12 - 02:38 PM

Alex Carawan

Alex Carawan

You're right, my comment was more about Nolan's films in general than it was about Memento.
However, Memento also has plenty of minor plotholes and Guy Pierce succeeds in becoming the most dull, monotonous narrator/progatonist of any movie I've seen (that were a critical success).

Apr 15 - 12:07 AM

Sean P.

Sean Patrick

You clearly don't understand Nolan's filmmaking style. Nolan's way more about the plot than the characters. The fact that characters serve as plot devices shouldn't be surprising or disappointing. I'm not sure you can even review a movie. I'm so sick of reviewers and people in general saying that a movie was bad because it wasn't what they wanted to see. Forget strong female leads. Saving Private Ryan is the greatest war film of all time and a woman shows up on screen maybe five minutes out of the three hour movie. Black Hawk Down, another great war movie, doesn't have a single woman actress. What about Ocean's Eleven? Julia Roberts doesn't play anything other than a rather annoying 'plot device.' The point is that a great film doesn't need a strong female lead. If they pull off a movie with a strong female lead, good for them, but don't condemn a movie for not meeting your standards.

Jul 19 - 09:41 PM

Roberto Sofáyolo

Roberto Sofáyolo

''Saving Private Ryan'' the greatest war film of all time? Yeah, right.

Oct 15 - 11:07 AM

Dylan Ganz

Dylan Ganz

I must say that, at least in my opinion, both Following and Inception have pretty strong female leads.

Aug 11 - 03:39 PM

Kassem Jaber

Kassem Jaber

FUCK YOU

Aug 17 - 06:18 PM

Brandon W.

Brandon Whales

I kind of found the meaning of the movies and its themes of blissful ignorance and its actually intelligent existential angst to be rather obvious if you can't see that than you were probably off your game reviewing this

Feb 7 - 09:31 PM

Lisa Wodd

Lisa Wodd

I appreciate the complexity of the film editing, the screenplay, and I am amazed it was shot in only 25 days. Although, I have to wonder how much "fresh" footage was actually shot, as so much was rewound. However, I did not really LIKE the movie. I found myself a bit annoyed by it about halfway through, and it was very hard for me to connect to Pearce's character; my empathy turned to boredom and eventually, I just wished he and the rest of the characcters would go away.

Apr 15 - 04:59 PM

Movie Watcher

Peter K

After a home invasion, Leonard Shelby is left without short term memory, and he is driven to avenge the death of his wife. Movie with complex plots such as this one are movies that I appreciate. The plot was not chronological so it made me feel as confused as the main character did, but the side story about Sammy Jenkis that Leonard told the audience helped me stay attached to the plot. At times the story became a little too grim for me, but luckily there is a little humor used to lighten the drama. This is usually in the form of Teddy?s one liners. I would recommend this to people who like detailed intricate plots, but if this isn?t a feel good movie, so that should be kept in mind before watching ?Memento?.

Sep 9 - 11:19 AM