19% Transcendence Apr 18

96% Silicon Valley: Season 1

Memorial Day Reviews

Cynthia S

December 31, 2013
Good movie! Inspiring. Tear-jerking. Definitely makes you think about a lot. When I first read the caption, I figured it would just me a typical war movie. It definitely draws you in, and keeps you interested all the way though. It really makes you think about your own life, and the value of what is around you.
September 1, 2013
A poignant war film that tells the stories of a grandfather's and grandson's experiences while commanding squads in World War II and the Iraq War, respectively. Very well done.
natehuang
May 31, 2012
A surprisingly polished effort for an independent film, this movie deserves a wider nationwide release. It should be required viewing for all Americans, for we owe a tremendous debt of gratitude to our nation's veterans. This movie is truly a tribute to them all. James Cromwell's performance is superb.
August 12, 2013
This was a great movie. So much more than we expected, history, family, love, honor, respect, courage. We both cried and that is not our style. A wonderful lesson in why we share our life experiences with our family and loved ones.
July 10, 2013
While it makes its best attempt to make you care for the characters, Memorial Day still fails to conquer the threshold of development.
Marcus B.
June 21, 2013
My grandfather was a Marine in the Pacific campaign and he died before I joined the military so this was especially emotional for me. Although my grandfather served in the Pacific islands, I was deployed to Ar Ramaadi in 2006. It is true that one must share his experiences and the more traumatic, the more imperative the sharing. Hopefully more films like this will be made so that OIF/OEF veterans will not be bullied by hostile public and press into keeping everything bottled up.

If you believe that any war movie that does not out right support Al Quaida and the Nazis is "right wing" or "conservative" than this movie is not for you. Don't watch it if you automatically despise any war movie that does not defecate on the memory of our heroes. One would wonder why you would even entertain the idea of watching a movie called "Memorial Day" unless you hoped it was by Michael Moore.

This move is not about politics and the line repeated at the end about animals reflects the sentiments of psychologist Lt. Col. Grossman who is anything but conservative. The film is about the shrinking minority of Americans who volunteer to fight and die to protect us from the tyranny of evil men. It is about suffering, love, and courage not only in battle, but in sharing one's terrifying experiences. The acting is not poor and the flashbacks are not hard to follow at all, making one wonder again what some other reviewers were smoking/ingesting/injecting.

There were only a few inconsistencies as the main character was out of uniform toward the end and his grandfather failed to clear a pistol handed to him and proceeded to place his finger within the trigger guard.

This is the first movie to my knowledge that honors the average combat infantryman of the second gulf war and it is adequate in the anticipation of more.
May 27, 2013
Great movie. The ending scenes with future Kyle leaves you a little unfulfilled, but overall the movie is great with the memories that Bud have being presented amazingly. I definitely felt the emotions that ran throughout as a result of the soldiers' camaraderie.
May 25, 2013
A movie worthy of its title.
May 9, 2013
This was a great movie...GREAT. For some of the critics it seems that it was too complicated for their small minds.
April 23, 2013
Cromwell gives a good performance and the story was pretty good but the flashbacks between iraq and WWII were a bit much.
March 12, 2013
Good premise and well executed in parts, but lacking polish or proper drama in the scenes.
Would have been very good with different director and actors
January 6, 2013
For a war movie it is too inaccurate and cliche driven (especially on the German side). If on the other hand the aim was to focus purely on the story then the plot and characters are just too flat to make it interesting. So either way, this project is a failure on all levels except camera works and editing. A low budget is not an excuse for everything and in this case they could have made more out of an initially interesting idea.

Too conservative, too ordinary, too flat, too predictable and too many stereotypes.
December 22, 2012
I watched it twice on Netflix in the same week. This is a story about two men who find them selves in war 60 years apart. One who bestows his legacy to the other. It depicts the horror and violence of battle and the love of a warrior for his comrades. It shows what real leadership is and how one generation must pass it on to the next or else it gets lost.
filmhipster.com
December 18, 2012
Turns out Nana [Mary Kay Fortier-Spalding] is in dire need of some acting lessons...it's a fine 'Made for TV' special, but nowhere near applicable for the big screen.
Pete D.
November 27, 2012
While the acting was a bit lacking, the story is powerful and needed to be told.
July 3, 2012
This Independent film makes a worthy effort in trying to tie together a Grandfather and Grandson recalling very personal war stories that they both may wish they could just forget. Flashing back and forth through 3 time periods throughout the film may have been necessary, but it also may have been over done and added a few slow parts. The acting efforts and different parts of the script ranged from good to average.
July 2, 2012
Nicely-done film tying generations of soldiers together through story of grandfather and grandson's relationship. Moderately tear-jerking, and the story overrides some of the less-than-great acting.
June 8, 2012
2.5/ 5 stars: (and I am being generous) This would have been a pretty good movie if the acting had been better. The acting/ screen writing in this film was equivalent to that of an afternoon tv special. What a disappointment. Luckily, the ending/moral of the story made it all worthwhile.
June 4, 2012
Having served in the military as many others in my family have done I can understand and enjoy this movie. I do really recommend watching it.
May 26, 2012
Very good movie. Highly Recommended.