Movies Like De Zaak Alzheimer (The Memory of a Killer) (The Alzheimer Case)

63% The Maze Runner Sep 19

90% Outlander: Season 1

De Zaak Alzheimer (The Memory of a Killer) (The Alzheimer Case) Reviews

familiar s

July 11, 2010
A watchable thriller, but does feel like a drag at times. It'd have been better if they'd concentrated more on substance than style. 6.5/10.
Lanning :

December 3, 2007
An interesting premise, and quite suspenseful for the first half. Sadly, this becomes less about Decleir's struggle with Alzheimer's, and more mundane to the point of evaporating into nothingness. I give it three stars for a great first half.
Aaron N

September 20, 2006
A very neat story that just goes on a bit too long, I hear they have plans for an american remake, so I am interested. Good work between the hitman and the cop, and some very cool scenes, if only it could come together a little better.

February 10, 2012
As we get older, we find ourselves not functioning as we once did, mentally and physically, so we need to take it easy. Angelo Leddo(Jan Decleir) does not have that option, even as he is losing his memory, because as his business partner Gilles(Patrick Descamps) puts it, people like them in the assassination business cannot retire. So, Angelo takes a job in Antwerp where he can also visit his brother in a rest home. The first part of the job goes as planned but he refuses to kill Bieke Cuypers(Laurien Van den Broeck), an 11-year old who was just at the center of a child prostitution investigation by Detective Chief Inspector Vincke(Koen De Bouw) and Detective Verstuyft(Werner De Smedt) who are also one step behind Angelo.

Even as it goes on much too long with its running debate on the meaning of justice, "The Memory of a Killer" still has moments where it shows the kind of movie it could have been. One key point comes when Angelo is worried if he killed somebody, but the movie does nothing really with this. Actually, the movie has less to do with his degrading memory(so nobody call any lawyers), than his mortality, proving that there is nothing more dangerous than somebody with nothing to lose, as the movie tries to get inside of his head.(For the record and from the information provided, I don't think he is suffering from Alzheimer's disease.) But again I have a problem believing a hitman would have trouble killing a child. At the same time, Angelo does seem rather honorable for his profession. In this job where even the killers are told not to ask questions, some crimes may be too much to handle. Then there are the cliches like the world weary cop(apparently one of a few detectives in Antwerp). So while the political situation in Belgium is unique, bureaucracy and power games seem to be everywhere. To be honest, I had never heard of pissing in a lock before.

November 23, 2010
Its kind like going to a Kentuky fried chicken in Mexico City, although the plot follows a well worn path, the slight differences pop out at you. When I say a well worn path I do not want to cast dispersions on the acting it was excellent. The most intellectually stimulating part of the movie is understanding how the police and judiciary work in Belgium. De Bouw and Smedt are members of the judiciary and are doing detective work on the path of Ledda a hit man with a conscious. His conscious grows as he senses his own mortality due to rapid onset altimeters. He wants to retire, but its with his history the only way for him to retire is to die. His employer coerces him to go on one last job which to his surprise is an underage prostitute, which is against his code of conduct. The next day the girl is found dead and he not sure if he killed her. This event splits the movie into a multitude of subplots all mildly entertaining
February 16, 2008
Interesting idea for a story and good execution of showing his condition. I felt the story ran long though especially over the part to get the baron... and in the end, the use of a tape of him making a threat over the phone seems like only circumstantial evidence in a murder case.
January 24, 2008
Simply excellent stuff. Everything is where it should be: it is full of action and suspense, the killer is depicted as a human being without the film becoming a melodrama, he is very good but still fallible. One problem though: the plots lacks a sens...(read more)e of Belgian-ness, it could have been shot anywhere and in my opinion good noirs have to be set in a given environment, that's were the tragedy comes from.
thisadulteryisripe
July 24, 2007
Not bad. I liked the twist at the end, got a little confused and it dragged on a little too long, but it was worth 2 bucks to see.
June 21, 2007
A hitman who's suffering from Alzheimer's, this flick is intense and intelligent. Glad i stumbled upon it.
July 10, 2014
Director Erik Van Looy delivers a smart, sophisticated crime thriller with the style and poise of a great master of filmmaking!
September 18, 2013
Overrated movie but still a move with good acting performances that was quit new for Flemish cinema.
Takeshi
July 13, 2013
Stylish and engaging never runs out of steam.
June 12, 2013
An aging hitman is sent on (what he hopes is) a final job. In the midst of striking those final targets, he is disgusted by his employers wishes and citing a code of honor refuses to follow through. Learning of the death of the final target, he shows his face to a police detective and begins striking back at his former employers. The twist is that he knows he is suffering from a virulent form of alzheimers, and may only have a few weeks to tie up every loose end - in moments of clarity. Great script & casting - with good cinematography and editing. Multilingual with subtitles.
March 28, 2013
Excellent crime drama with a great script, directing, style, a unique plot, and acting. The idea of a hit man going after those responsible for child prostitution and a child's murder before his Alzheimer's destroys him is original, and all the twists were intriguing.
October 2, 2012
Very interesting concept...Well done

February 10, 2012

August 31, 2011
From the same director of ^LOFT^, this time it's an intense crime aka cop thriller with great characterization that comes with some engaging performance from a good cast of actors. Erik Van Looy's this film is also getting an American remake treatment which is currently in development by Focus Features, Universal Pictures.
August 8, 2011
Quite a good movie, but it was probably at least 20 minutes too long.
moviebuff18cab
March 15, 2006
THE MEMORY OF A KILLER (2003)

November 23, 2010