Movies Like De Zaak Alzheimer (The Memory of a Killer) (The Alzheimer Case)

43% Sin City: A Dame to Kill For Aug 22

—— Jonah From Tonga: Season 1
86% The Knick: Season 1

De Zaak Alzheimer (The Memory of a Killer) (The Alzheimer Case) Reviews

July 10, 2014
Director Erik Van Looy delivers a smart, sophisticated crime thriller with the style and poise of a great master of filmmaking!
September 18, 2013
Overrated movie but still a move with good acting performances that was quit new for Flemish cinema.
September 16, 2013
In the Swamp of Corruption and Children Prostitution--Noirish police story as twisted as the killer's mind!!
Takeshi
July 13, 2013
Stylish and engaging never runs out of steam.
June 12, 2013
An aging hitman is sent on (what he hopes is) a final job. In the midst of striking those final targets, he is disgusted by his employers wishes and citing a code of honor refuses to follow through. Learning of the death of the final target, he shows his face to a police detective and begins striking back at his former employers. The twist is that he knows he is suffering from a virulent form of alzheimers, and may only have a few weeks to tie up every loose end - in moments of clarity. Great script & casting - with good cinematography and editing. Multilingual with subtitles.
April 19, 2013
one of the best Belgian movies ever made!
March 28, 2013
Excellent crime drama with a great script, directing, style, a unique plot, and acting. The idea of a hit man going after those responsible for child prostitution and a child's murder before his Alzheimer's destroys him is original, and all the twists were intriguing.
October 2, 2012
Very interesting concept...Well done
February 17, 2012
I loved it. It was dark and dreary and fast paced and slightly confusing and wonderful.
Harlequin68
Harlequin68

February 10, 2012
As we get older, we find ourselves not functioning as we once did, mentally and physically, so we need to take it easy. Angelo Leddo(Jan Decleir) does not have that option, even as he is losing his memory, because as his business partner Gilles(Patrick Descamps) puts it, people like them in the assassination business cannot retire. So, Angelo takes a job in Antwerp where he can also visit his brother in a rest home. The first part of the job goes as planned but he refuses to kill Bieke Cuypers(Laurien Van den Broeck), an 11-year old who was just at the center of a child prostitution investigation by Detective Chief Inspector Vincke(Koen De Bouw) and Detective Verstuyft(Werner De Smedt) who are also one step behind Angelo.

Even as it goes on much too long with its running debate on the meaning of justice, "The Memory of a Killer" still has moments where it shows the kind of movie it could have been. One key point comes when Angelo is worried if he killed somebody, but the movie does nothing really with this. Actually, the movie has less to do with his degrading memory(so nobody call any lawyers), than his mortality, proving that there is nothing more dangerous than somebody with nothing to lose, as the movie tries to get inside of his head.(For the record and from the information provided, I don't think he is suffering from Alzheimer's disease.) But again I have a problem believing a hitman would have trouble killing a child. At the same time, Angelo does seem rather honorable for his profession. In this job where even the killers are told not to ask questions, some crimes may be too much to handle. Then there are the cliches like the world weary cop(apparently one of a few detectives in Antwerp). So while the political situation in Belgium is unique, bureaucracy and power games seem to be everywhere. To be honest, I had never heard of pissing in a lock before.
December 10, 2011
very good. lots of action and intelligently presented.
August 31, 2011
From the same director of ^LOFT^, this time it's an intense crime aka cop thriller with great characterization that comes with some engaging performance from a good cast of actors. Erik Van Looy's this film is also getting an American remake treatment which is currently in development by Focus Features, Universal Pictures.
August 30, 2011
Another critically acclaimed Belgian thriller.
August 8, 2011
Quite a good movie, but it was probably at least 20 minutes too long.
May 16, 2011
Vincke e Verstuyft são dois dos melhores detetives da policia da Antuérpia. Quando se confrontam com o desaparecimento de um oficial de alto escalão e a morte de duas prostitutas, as pistas os levam ao quase aposentado assassino Ângelo Ledda. Desde quando Ledda começou a mostrar sintomas do mal de Alzheimer, ficou cada vez mais difícil para ele cumprir seus contratos. Quando tem que assassinar uma garota de programa de 12 anos, ele recusa e transforma-se em alvo. Enquanto Vincke e Vertuyft o perseguem e contam os corpos, Ledda tem que fugir de seus empregadores.
moviebuff18cab
March 15, 2006
THE MEMORY OF A KILLER (2003)
Taniatje
January 11, 2011
one of the best Belgian movies ever made!
Blaster1618
Blaster1618

November 23, 2010
Its kind like going to a Kentuky fried chicken in Mexico City, although the plot follows a well worn path, the slight differences pop out at you. When I say a well worn path I do not want to cast dispersions on the acting it was excellent. The most intellectually stimulating part of the movie is understanding how the police and judiciary work in Belgium. De Bouw and Smedt are members of the judiciary and are doing detective work on the path of Ledda a hit man with a conscious. His conscious grows as he senses his own mortality due to rapid onset altimeters. He wants to retire, but its with his history the only way for him to retire is to die. His employer coerces him to go on one last job which to his surprise is an underage prostitute, which is against his code of conduct. The next day the girl is found dead and he not sure if he killed her. This event splits the movie into a multitude of subplots all mildly entertaining
familiar s

July 11, 2010
A watchable thriller, but does feel like a drag at times. It'd have been better if they'd concentrated more on substance than style. 6.5/10.
December 16, 2009
One of the few Flemish movies which I saw and I was pleasantly surprised after watching it. I was actually looking forward to watch De Zaak Alzheimer back in 2003, because it was very popular here in Belgium and alot of my classmate and other people were very positive about the movie.
I finally watched it the day before I went to watch Dossier K. (the "sequel" of De Zaak Alzheimer) and I really liked it! It was shot in Antwerp and I loved that first of all, but I also loved the story and the performance of the actors! I underestimated the Flemish film industry I think...
Koen De Bouw as Erik Vincke was my favourite character and ofcourse Jan Declair was very good too, but yea the Belgian people already know that (hint: Daens).
All in all, it is a great cop movie and a classic in the Flemish film industry!