Men in Black - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Men in Black Reviews

blkbomb
June 7, 2011
J: You know the difference between you and me? I make this look good.

"Protecting The Earth From The Scum Of The Universe"

I've seen bits and pieces of Men in Black over the years, but I had never actually watched it from start to finish. Now that I have, I see why it's such a beloved movie. This is just a great, fun, and hilarious ride. Tommy Lee Jones and Will Smith are great on screen together and have terrific chemistry, while being polar opposites.

The Men in Black are a secret agency that protects earth from the bad aliens and keeps an eye on the many good aliens that live among us. K(Tommy Lee Jones) recruits new member, J(Will Smith) into the agency from his job as a police officer. Within the first 24 hours of being on the job, J finds out that he and K are going to have to save the world from Alien attack.

There's a reason Men in Black is given so much praise; because it deserves it. This film weaves alien celebrities, death rays, end of the world possibilities, talking dogs, and a great Vincent D'Onofrio role into a movie that manages to be funny, entertaining, silly, and altogether one of the most fun film experiences you are likely to ever have. That's not to say this is one of the greatest movies of all-time or anything like that. What it is though, is a worthwhile sci-fi comedy with terrific direction from Barry Sonnenfeld and wonderful performances from Tommy Lee Jones and Will Smith. This is a can't miss.
½ January 18, 2013
The film's sci-fi presentation, clever story and leading duo (Jones & Smith) provides for a surge of entertainment that exceeds anyone's expectations. Men in Black is that summer blockbuster that satisfies throughout its entirety. 4.5/5
cosmo313
½ June 10, 2006
Ace cinematographer turned director Barry Sonnenfeld is known for having a cartoonish style and darkly humorous sensibilities, and these qualities served him very well with this adaptation of a tongue-in-cheek sci--fi comic book series.

This witty, stylish, and insanely clever film follows a tough and uber hip New York cop named James Edwards who, after a bizarre encounter with a suspect, discovers that not only do aliens exist, but there is a top secret government agency known as the Men In Black designed to monitor and deal with their presence on Earth.

Shedding his old life and identity, James joins the organization, taking up the name Agent J, and, along with a no-nonsense codger of a partner named Agent K, work to stop an assassination plot that could lead to interstellar war.

As mentioned above, this is a really clever film. It's funny, sharp, and gets in some nice satire, and makes for a nice blend of comedy and sci-fi intrigue. I knew this was funny as a kid, but it wasn't until later that I realized how much of the humor went over my head, kinda like my experience with Ghostbusters.

Sonnenfeld's style is perfect for this kind of thing, and I love the world created here. Will Smith delivers a fine performance as Agent J, and he has wonderful chemistry with Tommy Lee Jones as Agent K. Rip Torn is a delight as MIB boss Zed, Linda Fiorentino is good as a mortician caught up in the madness, and Vincent D'Onofrio is great as the primary antagonist who tries to hide its real identity using the hollowed out skin of a farmer.

The film is heavy on effects, and, while they are great, they thankfully don't overshadow things, and actually complement the story. The action and set pieces are decent too, but for me, the best part of the film is the writing, performances, concept, and sharp satirical humor.

Definitely give this one a look. It's easily a highlight of late 90s cinema.
Samuel Riley
November 26, 2012
What makes this film stand out, aside from its superb effects, humor and script, is the contrast between Tommy Lee Jones and Will Smith. While Jones is the emotionless, smarter and wiser one out of the two, Smith is the younger and more enthusiastic. These 'Men In Black' are on a mission to save Earth from a really, really nasty bug infestation. This is one Sci-Fi film that shouldn't be missed.
CloudStrife84
½ April 12, 2007
Clever, exciting, imaginative and funny, Men in Black is everything you want a sci-fi comedy to be. Yet, those words fail to encompass my total love for this film. Still the best in the trilogy (in my humble view), it has enough wit and action to keep you entertained for decades. Every time I see it, I just wanna take the first best plane to New York and join their ranks for some good ol' alien-busting. But alas, the MIB is but a fictional organization. At any rate, it entertains to stellar degrees, and is also one of the movies that launched Will Smith into international fame (or should I say intergalactic). His hilarious interplay with Agent K - played by a brilliant Tommy Lee Jones - serves up a whole smorgasbord of zesty gags and laugh-out-loud situations. Not to mention all the cool aliens and Rick Baker's fantastic creature design, which is truly the work of a creative artisan. Add to that the wonderfully written, tongue-in-check script, and there's no mystery to why I regard this as one of my all-time favourite comedies. A first-rate classic in every sense, and a must-see for anyone with a taste for quality humor! Because this doesn't just hit it out of the park, it sends the ball flying through space and into galaxies beyond!
January 13, 2010
"Men in Black" is one of the most impressive sci-fi films of the 90's! Probably thee most when you are thinking of comedy. It may not have the back-up of spectacular visual effects, but they do cherish what they can with whatever they do have. The chemistry between Tommy Lee Jones and Will Smith is phenomenal and it makes me wish more films could have that upper hand. "Men in Black" is everything you could want in a movie, with a few extra moments of awesomeness. All-in-all, this film delivers thrills, laughs, visuals, and a story that solely works with these actors alone. This film definitely needs everyones attentions!
July 23, 2011
A cool movie that benefits greatly from the charismatic duo of Will Smith and Tommy Lee Jones.
May 23, 2012
Very entertaining from start-to-finish. Tommy Lee Jones and Will Smith are both terrific together, both displaying spot-on comedic chops, too. And for its time, the effects are actually pretty good, too. A definitive summer blockbuster that still stands its time today.
September 30, 2011
Very clever film that can entertain anyone from a little kid to a grown adult. Will Smith is always good.
TheDudeLebowski65
August 24, 2011
Men in Black is an interesting idea for a film. A secret government organization protects the world from Aliens, which I think is a really good premise for a film. The cast here are terrific and each brings a memorable addition to the screen. Mein in Black is not a perfect film, but for the most part it works well as a sci fi action comedy. The reason the film works well is because of its good cast, and clever plot. The film will appeal to fans of sci Fi and it's quite different than most films in the Sci Fi canon. Men in Black is a well crafted tongue in cheek film that is very memorable. The special effects are terrific and amusing, and there are many humorous moments in the film. One in particular was Will Smith being recruited for possible MIB selection. The film has its flaws, but most of the time it succeeds in delivering a fun viewing experience and unlike, its sequel, Men in Black is a one of a kind Sci Fi film. The sequel missed the mark, and was poorly made with a bad script, and was a slap in the face to this fun, original Sci Fi action comedy. For what it is, Men in Black is a well made film with plenty of original ideas going on, on screen. The film boasts a good cast with a good story, and this is a memorable film that is just as humorous as it is action packed. It's too bad that they failed with sequel, but at least they made a good film with this first one. A film not to miss.
September 6, 2010
The super popular action sci-fi comedy of 97. Sure it was fun for a while, but this movie wasn't all that great really. It's humor is stupid, and there are so many other sci-fi comedies that are better. Overall it's an okay movie, though.
July 21, 2011
Awesome. Just awesome. Action, comedy, scifi that really defines itself with a great cast, script, humor, originality, and art direction. AGH! You just can't complain with entertainment value of this caliber.
½ April 24, 2007
I like this movie - I tend to watch it again when it shows up on TV. The special effects are a little dated for 2011, but what the heck.
michael e.
May 23, 2011
its okay
DreamExtractor
March 27, 2011
A very good movie. Smith is great and Jones steals the show. They really worked hard on this and it shows. What they fail is a interesting plot, but okay enough to keep people interested.
theunknownhobo
November 16, 2010
An old classic that really reminds me of being a kid.
July 21, 2010
B-
3niR
½ May 24, 2010
Man this was damn disgusting. But it was good.