Critics Consensus: Men in Black III Is Solid Fun

Summary

This weekend at the multiplex, we've got the latest installment of a blockbuster franchise ("Men in Black III," starring Will Smith, Tommy Lee Jones, and Josh Brolin), along with a haunted vacation video ("Chernobyl Diaries," produced by "Paranormal Activity" mastermind Oren Peli) and an eccentric coming-of-age love story (Wes Anderson's "Moonrise Kingdom," starring Bill Murray and Bruce Willis, which is opening in limited release). Find out what the critics have to say on Rotten Tomatoes. In the world of franchise moviemaking, the third time is rarely, if ever, the charm. So it's something of a surprise to report that the critics say Men in Black III is unexpectedly solid. Back to Article

Comments

Movie Monster

Bentley Lyles

I plan to check out MIB3 soon. With a rating like that, I think the film will be decent and entertaining. Moonrise Kingdom looks funny and sweet but it will probably never play in a theater near me so I'll rent it when it's available.

Chernobyl Diaries T-Meter Guess: 27%

May 24 - 10:13 PM

Ken W.

Ken Wolfson

Chernobyl diaries will be a smash hit with a whopping 8%!

May 24 - 10:19 PM

Gotham-iz-Ashez

Kevin Styp

Just saw Chernobyl Diaries.....absolutely terrible.... seriously do not waste your money

May 24 - 11:04 PM

Ankur Singh

Ankur Singh

mib 3 is good not as fresh as 1 but way better than 2 its slow at mid

May 24 - 11:20 PM

Tams Bagaturia

Tams Bagaturia

Glad to see MIB doing ok, I'm definitely going to see this next week.

May 24 - 11:35 PM

cinemascribe

Duane Ullery

Overkill? This is only the third film in fifteen years. Even the animated spin off series ended in 2001. It isn't as if the franchise has been shoved down our throats every second of every day since it's inception. Trilogies are the standard for most franchises at the outset because they represent the three act narrative structure 1st film= Act One, second film = Act II, and so on. While I'll agree that MiB 2 was disappointing , one thing the MiB franchise is not guilty of is overkill.

May 25 - 12:15 AM

MisterVile

Mister Vile

Agreed. 3 movies in 15 years is not overkill. Stupid statement.

May 25 - 06:14 AM

Paul Atreides

Paul Atreides

There are those who would argue that anything beyond a successful first film, at least for some franchises, is overkill... especially in the cases of campier flicks. I don't really go along with that, but that doesn't make the argument (or any statements supporting it) stupid. And trilogies frequently being the Hollywood standard doesn't necessarily mean they SHOULD be done, lol. I would say that (at least in America) money, and NOT the "three act narrative structure", is the reason that trilogies are frequently the model. If the three act structure thing were really the usual motivation, then the stories would probably be better more often, lol.

May 25 - 08:54 AM

MisterVile

Mister Vile

This is certainly true. But MiB is more about creativity with aliens and comedy between will smith and tommy lee jones than a three act narrative with deep thinking undertones and a coherent story. Movies like this tend to be better suited for sequels than most other series.

May 25 - 06:48 PM

Adam P.

Adam Pritchard

42% Chernobyl Diaries

May 25 - 02:51 AM

I fight for the users

Ian Fastert

Good thing MIB3 is good, I need some good humor after this week. Chernobyl Diaries =Around 30%

May 25 - 04:11 AM

sunsaz

Chris Moore

I'll probably catch MIB since they say it's better than the last one. I know there's no topping the original, so I'm fine with that.

May 25 - 04:23 AM

Daniel Davis

Daniel Davis

Chernobyl Diaries is starting out with 36% after 11 reviews.

May 25 - 04:28 AM

Hans M.

Hans Morgenstern

Will attend preview to Moonrise Kingdom next week for a review. Loved all of Anderson's films, so I'm going in with high expectations. Now the tomato meter has raised them further. I read EW's review yesterday, and he basically said it's the same old Wes Anderson. To him that's negative, but to Anderson lovers it won't be. As for Chernobyl Diaries, I'd like to give Peli the benefit of the doubt and put it at 40%. MIB3 is a maybe for me, but way down on the list, as I still haven't seen Avengers.

May 25 - 04:33 AM

dudemeister

dude meister

Meh, I'll wait for the Blu-Ray for MIB3 thanks. Though Snow White is looking very good so, if reviews are good, I'll be checking that out next week hopefully. Oh well, another gaming week for me, I'll be playing Max Payne 3 again, with a bit of Ghost Recon.

May 25 - 04:34 AM

dudemeister

dude meister

Oh yep, and an 18% for Chernobyl Diaries.

May 25 - 04:43 AM

dudemeister

dude meister

Oh yep, and an 18% for Chernobyl Diaries.

May 25 - 04:43 AM

Bertram Krogh

Bertram Krogh

Men In Black III: I might see it on the net or when it lands on DVD and Blu-Ray, the reason I am not going to the cinema is because I skipped the first two, and need to see them first, and those are not topping my to-see list.
Chernobyl Diaries: I will gladly skip this flick, looks like another mindless teenage wannabe-horror-flick.
Moonrise Kingdom: This is one of the movies I was looking most forward to, but it doesnâ??t show any near me, so I will watch in on the net when it pops up sooner or later. Cant wait, Wes Anderson is a riveting genius.
OC87: I am sorry, but I dont think I am going to watch this one, it sounds too weird. Besides, I rarely watch documentaries.
Oslo, August 31st: This one sounds directly dramatic, and I adore such movies. I will watch it sooner or later.
Battle Royale 3D: Sounds interesting, but I cant watch every movie, and since it is from 2001, I will skip.
Intouchables: If I get time to watch it, I might, but there are so many movies I would watch before it.
Mighty Fine: No thank you.

May 25 - 05:57 AM

MisterVile

Mister Vile

MiB2 was pretty awful. Remember the villain? me neither.

May 25 - 06:11 AM

Tamás Kovács

Tamás Kovács

Sadly, I do.

May 25 - 07:31 PM

MisterVile

Mister Vile

i doubt that, but i'll keep an open mind. MiB1 was great in 97 because it was new and weird. We never saw it before and it surprised us. That won't be the case this time.

May 25 - 06:13 AM

MisterVile

Mister Vile

Agreed. 3 movies in 15 years is not overkill. Stupid statement.

May 25 - 06:14 AM

Paul Atreides

Paul Atreides

May 25 - 08:54 AM

MisterVile

Mister Vile

May 25 - 06:48 PM

MisterVile

Mister Vile

For some reason Will Smith traveling through time makes me smile. I'll see it. Oh, and it is a MiB movie so my childhood requires it (i was 11 at the time).

May 25 - 06:16 AM

Critics Consensus
Critics Consensus

Transcendence is a Sci-Fi Snooze

Johnny Depp's Best Movies

Picture gallery of movie bears

Good Friday