Movies Like Mercury Rising

Mercury Rising Reviews

cosmo313
cosmo313

November 1, 2012
This is a rather formulaic, and predictable thriller, which is a real shame since the premise had a lot of potential.

Bruce Willis stars as an outcast FBI agent whose chance at redemption comes in the form of protecting a 9 year-old autistic boy who managed to crack a high level government code hidden in a puzzle book. The code got cracked, and due to the secrets involved with it, the cracker has to apparently be silenced, and that's where the film fails to live up to some of its potential. The target is a young autistic kid, and I can't really remember anyone challenging the moral question of eliminating the kid given the circumstances. The film sorta toys with the idea of who is more of a villain, but mostly it just relies on being a typical cat and mouse chase thriller.

Willis tries his best with the material, but doesn't do anything remarkable. The same can be said for most of the cast, save for Miko Hughes as the autistic kid, who actually does show some chops with having to play a difficult part with some amount of sensitivity and nuance.

See this if you want, but don't expect much since, despite the premise, it's a rather forgettable piece of work.
Apeneck F

August 29, 2011
Nobody's trying hard at all in this by-the-numbers Willis vehicle that has him up against a government conspiracy --- ho-hum. To demonstrate evolution: the F.B.I. useta be the bad guys in this sort of thing, but herein Willis plays one, howbeit a "rogue" agent. Oooooo.
erika250
erika250

May 30, 2010
did not have a good plot. really bad acting.
LWOODS04
LWOODS04

July 11, 2009
Bruce Willis, Alec Baldwin, Chi McBride, Miko Hughes, Kim Dickens

DIRECTED BY: Harold Becker

Bruce Willis is an outcast FBI agent who is assigned to protect a 9 year old autistic boy who is the target for assassins after cracking a top secret government code

Decent thriller. Bruce Willis doing what he does best, playing a cop. The theory of the movie was interesting, but it got a bit boring in some places. Thought Miko Hughes was great for being so young to play such a difficult character. Acting was good by all. The little tender moment at the end was a tear jerker. Worth the rental.
Anthony L

October 2, 2009
This film starts with a clever premise and could have been an intelligent thriller but ends up being boring, formulaic and dumb. I feel the question of 'Who is the real good guy' could have been explored more intelligently as the subject of collateral damage is raised, typically, the bad guy/good guy is an asshole and gets kicked off a building. Are American courts empty?
Jason O

August 15, 2009
I can't believe that "Mercury Rising" isn't more popular of a movie. A 9 year old autistic boy cracks the national security code that everybody thought was impossible to break. Art (Bruce Willis) takes it upon himself to protect the kid from some government officials who want the boy dead.
There might be some minor gaps in the storyline of "Mercury Rising," but nothing that does anything to hurt the movie in my opinion. This movie shows how great of an actor Bruce Willis really is and the boy does a great job too. The effects are also well done and the movie has good suspense.

If you like good suspense movies, I recommend getting "Mercury Rising." NOTE: That was my Amazon review from the year 2000. Bruce Willis, nearly all his movies are good stuff!
Red L

February 5, 2009
Typical movie for Bruce Willis. Bruce plays an FBI agent who goes with his gut feeling too often, whereas he is supposed to go with the facts.

What is hard to believe in this movie is that the bad guy is another branch of the government. One has to hope that the NSA doesn't normally go around shooting citizens for no good reason. Miko Hughes plays a convincing 9-year-old autistic boy.
Megan S

September 26, 2008
I've seen this but I don't remember very much about it except the autistic boy cracks an important code.
Ross C

September 22, 2007
A formulaic action thriller... but it's a good formula!
Dean !

June 10, 2007
An ok thriller about an austic boy who manages to unlock a password system for the ministry of defence. Therefore placing his life in danger as Bruce Willis tries to protect from the goverment he works for.
garyX
garyX

December 26, 2006
Bog-standard Bruce Willis vehicle in which a down at heel FBI agent "finds himself" protecting an autistic boy. Formulaic and lame.
Aaron N

May 30, 2006
This is an underrated Bruce Willis action movie. It does a good job setting up it's plot, despite the inplausability that surrounds it. It is made with some good action surrounding some pretty good performances. Alec Baldwin is also here as a evil doer of political proportions, and he gives it a good dose of evil swagger. But the real joy comes from Willis handling the situation of defending an autistic child.
deano
deano

November 12, 2006
Good thriller with a renegade FBI agent who protects a 9-year-old autistic boy.
Luke B

June 2, 2006
WOW. I'd actually forgotten about this film and how bad it is. Everyone involved should hope most other people forget about it as well. An austistic kid is protected by Bruce Willis because he has solved a top secret government code. Just ends up coming off as some Disney animated buddy comedy such as Brother Bear or The Fox and the Hound.
Dann M

February 28, 2013
Mercury Rising is a stereotypical '90s action film that's fairly entertaining, but familiar. When a 9-year-old autistic boy accidentally cracks a top secret government encryption code a rogue section of the NSA attempts to eliminate him. The story's pretty ridiculous and is full of plot holes, but the chases and fight sequences add a lot of energy to the film. Bruce Willis, Alec Baldwin, and Chi McBride lead the cast, and are able to add some personality to otherwise rote characters. A by the numbers thriller, Mercury Rising delivers a solid and enjoyable film that's full of action.
Marion R

September 10, 2009
Pretty damn entertaining. Bruce Willis is awesome and Alec Baldwin is good in playing the villain.
Lee K

February 14, 2008
saw this but too long ago meh....
December 15, 2013
"Mercury Rising" looked so great from its synopsis... but the synopsis was just vague enough to completely mislead me. In an ode to "WarGames," a young boy accidentally deciphers a secret government code. To heighten the interest of the film, the boy is autistic. At this point, one would expect the film to explore the discovery of the code and show how it is used for good or for evil; instead, it turns the film into "Die Hard" with an autistic kid. Let's see which will draw audiences in better: "An autistic 9-year-old boy cracks the U.S. government's top-secret code when an unapproved test matrix gets published in a crossword magazine" OR "Bruce Willis plays typical heroic character while protecting a kid from assassins for two hours." Well played, Universal. Movie #1 interested me while I never would have given Movie #2 a chance. Even though the plot stinks, this could have been a great vehicle for Miko Hughes to have his Rainman role, but he doesn't. His portrayal of autism is more offensive than it is empathetic. Meanwhile, Alec Baldwin doesn't do much of anything and Bruce Willis is about 30% shy of being John McClane. The film has a few interesting plot twists with several characters unsuspectingly killed off but it isn't enough to make up for the weak acting performances and the bland script.
November 8, 2010
What a thrilling story... this is vintage Bruce Willis at his best. Even though this movie is not exactly original, it was such a thrill to watch and I was on the edge of my seat in suspense the whole time. If you seen and like Bruce Willis in Die Hard or Live free Die Hard, then this is right up your alley and you wont want to miss it. A tough hard to control cop is forced to do anything he can do to save a kids life, even if it means taking out a top official in charge of National Security.
M9z8759483
February 6, 2010
a great action film with bruce willis this time he is still fighting to be alive and he is also trying to be a father for a kid that had lost his parents by being murdered is mercury rising a good action yes it is