Days of 36 (Meres tou '36) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Days of 36 (Meres tou '36) Reviews

jimbotender
September 14, 2008
Part I of A Trilogy of History by Theo Angelopoulos:

The particles of 20th century Greece being here,in an attempt to observe,spy and subsequently organize the scattered hopes of the ancient legends.Suffice to say Angelopoulos re-defines history as we know it,it's hilarious to find out underground schemes and corrupt authorities damaged a (non-existent) state of union!!!
That is,regardless of the politicians,ignorant of the prosperity of the state nor of the rebellious inmates,struggling for their voice to be heard against a totalitarian nation (Metaxas the "prime minister" was ready to rule with the 4th of August Regime),not even the main protagonist of the drama exaggerates.
May 23, 2011
An Early work of the great Theo Angelopoulos and a reference to the origins of the aesthetic establishment he created later. the long static shots, the lonely trees in a vast landscape, the long walks,the sea,the ruins, the blue color, the symmetric artificially-staged movements of actors. all of these are to be found in this film.
Although the story takes place in a very specific political phase of the modern greek history, it has many elements that make it enjoyable without going into too much details or needing a certain background. I just love Angelopoulos!
jimbotender
September 14, 2008
Part I of A Trilogy of History by Theo Angelopoulos:

½ December 3, 2008
Politics symbols. Cleistophobia of the prison is drawn parallel to the dictatorial regimen of '36 Greece. Some powerful scenes, but mostly slow & sublime, making Meres tou '36 at times disengaging.