Mermaids - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Mermaids Reviews

½ November 30, 2013
I enjoyed it. The energy drops somewhere around the middle, but picks up quickly. The story is well told and unique. Though Cher is spectacular in the main role, it really is Winona Ryder who makes the film worth watching. She is, as usual, captivating, and makes an excellent and amiable narrator. She is perfectly cast and steals the show.
January 17, 2008
Cute movie. I like Christina and Winona. Cher gets on my nerves a bit, but I think her character is meant to be annoying. Coming of age tale set in the 60's.
August 20, 2012
Mermaids is the story of a family of three ladies, a mother and her two daughters. Winona Ryder plays the eldest daughter who actually looks down her mother. Ryder dreams of becoming a nun so that she can live a pure and honest life. Cher is the mother, who constantly moves her family around whenever she fails at a relationship. Ryder is tested by a young man that she starts to have feelings for while Cher has difficulty adjusting to a serious relationship with Bob Hoskins. It's a fine film on all accounts as both a comedy and a romantic drama. The rift between Cher and Ryder is an easy one to understand and they both play it brilliantly. You always get the feeling that they are tired of one another, but the love is always present. Hoskins is a fantastic and surprising romantic lead. He gives off a strong dominant force, but also comes across as fragile. It's his strength that gradually repairs this family. Christina Ricci stars as the youngest daughter and it's no surprise she became a star. She manages to do young and cute without being annoying. The soundtrack helps to capture the time period very well. The pacing is often off and it feels like an edited down novel, but when it's hitting those high notes in terms of comedy or drama it is a great watch.
April 20, 2012
I read the Wikipedia synopsis before I started watching this film and I thought the Winona-Joe romance was going to be super uncomfortable (I mean HELLO, you are pushing 30 and you are taking the virginity of a 15-year-old girl?!?!? Pull it together man), but it kinda wasn't. I think it is because Winona is super precocious and odd. Anyway. The family of Cher-Winona-Christina Ricci made a lot of sense, and I think one's enjoyment of the movie rests in the believability of the strength and love of the the family bond. I personally thought it was great.
September 6, 2010
A great family drama with a great cast and story. It's very realistic, sweet, and it's humorous as well. I really liked it.
flixsterman
January 6, 2009
Cute but cliched. Nice chemistry between Cher, Winona Ryder and an adorable 9 year old Christina Ricci.
jjnxn
½ August 3, 2007
Charming coming of age drama with a very appealing Cher. Winona's character is a bit of a pill but she carries it off well. Bob Hoskins and the rest of the cast offer nice support and the period feeling is well conveyed without being in your face.
½ May 1, 2009
MERMAIDS is what you'd call an enjoyable film. Simple as that.

It's really funny, and it features an incredible cast that includes Cher, Bob Hoskins, Christina Ricci and Winona Ryder, the latter stealing the whole movie in an amazing turn as nun-wannabe Charlotte.
thmtsang
July 15, 2007
Movie about a single mum and her kids. Great cast and music.
January 3, 2007
A very entertaining comedy drama as a family move town.
November 1, 2007
Very moving and entertaining. Recommended.
deano
½ March 20, 2007
Single mother Cher is a constant source of embarrassment to growing daughter Winona Ryder, as well as to us, as she tries diminutive shoe salesmand Bob Hoskins on her size. A schmaltzy, mother and daughter bonding movie of the sort the Americans seem to love.
garyX
½ March 15, 2007
Anybody who wants to see a fat balding cockney getting it on with an ageing advert for plastic surgery, walk this way...at least Winona's cute.
February 26, 2007
A coming of age flick that has three woman of different ages.
December 6, 2006
The scene with Winona Ryder having sex in that attic or whatever was pretty hot, but otherwise this movie was really lame.
½ February 16, 2009
Another coming of age story but a different sort... not like others you've seen before. It could have been better, but the quirky storyline and great acting saved this one!
qtmemoe
½ January 21, 2008
Never liked Cher as an actress much. . .
weelee18
October 2, 2007
Great movie..
½ January 31, 2008
Aw. Cute 60's stylie fun.
iLeo