The Mexican Reviews

½ February 20, 2008
For all the bad things I had heard about this movie.... I have to disagree. It is not the best movie.... but it is good! Worth seeing!
½ August 3, 2006
Not quite the film I as expecting, so pleasantly surprised, Im not the biggest fan of Julia Roberts, but enjoyed this film regardless.

For me, the best role in this was that of James Gandolfini, perhaps a typecast sort of role for him but with a great twist.
November 19, 2009
A fun movie that never got the credit it deserves. The pairing of Brad Pitt and Julia Roberts was perfect, they have a great on screen chemistry. The story was extremely interesting and was original, not an average romantic comedy at all.
September 24, 2009
I expected more. Only good thing in this movie was the cool car and a gay Gandolfini!
FiLmCrAzY
½ October 8, 2007
it was ok quite funny really
thmtsang
July 14, 2007
Brad plays a hopeless fool who always gets into trouble. He does one last job in Mexico with disastrous consquences. While Julia gets kidnapped by a hitman. Brad and Julia have great chemistry.
deano
December 13, 2006
Director Gore Verbinski loosens up with a freewheeling style appropriate for this shaggy dog story. Despite Julia Roberts' grating presence, the film mostly works thanks to a winning turn from James Gandolfini.
garyX
February 24, 2007
Strangely watchable road movie cum crime drama that tries so hard to be a quirky Tarantino-lite flick that it's almost a spoof of itself, but Pitt and Roberts work surprisingly well together, and James Gandolfini is always worth watching.
½ August 20, 2006
Pitt and Roberts have no chemistry, even when they are on screen togetehr for about 2 minutes. Tries to replicate the comedic/violent gang elements of Pulp Fiction and Lock, Stock... Fails miserably. Galdofini's character is interesting and actually brings a little bit of emotion to the film. It isn't enough though.
½ June 17, 2011
The story centres around a guy who, by misfortune, works for organised crime. His last job for them is to collect an antique gun from a guy in a bar in Mexico. His girlfriend, none too pleased with his trip to Mexico, dumps him before he leaves. What follows is a mixture of comedy, caper movie and a vicious satire on relationship therapy culture.

Brad Pitt and Julia Roberts are excellent in their roles, particularly Pitt, who manages to give his character no cool or clue. James Gandolfini steals the show as a sensitive hitman who doesn't want to be "defined" by what he does.

While parts of the film are hilarious there are dark moments in there too. While The Mexican isn't quite as good as say "American Beauty", it is pitched at the same level, treading the lines between straight comedy, satire and meaning-of-life navel contemplation.
stevetheman1236
August 16, 2011
I don't exactly see where the animosity for this film came from. I enjoyed it. So what if Pitt and Roberts were kept apart for most of the film? Does it really matter that much? Does it make the film terrible? No, not at all.
Cameron W. Johnson
January 22, 2011
The movie slides off of its genre's beat a fair bit, but still deviates to some small cliches and isn't quite the tightest-edited. In spite of this, the film is still fairly clever, reasonably well-acted, entertaingly scored and very funny. As for these two stories, they have a fair balance and are both equally entertaining and strong in their casts and plots, keeping me from feeling disappoinment when they left me hanging on for the other story, but rather excited about them both. Of course, it does come to a bit more of a serious final act that does draw to a pretty solid conclusion. At the end of the day, "The Mexican" has its flaws, but is still a very entertaining and cool little flick I had a great time with.
½ November 7, 2010
No consistency in the film and no clear direction of where it is going. The shiny cast is not capable to change the flaws of the film.
½ February 2, 2009
Did I like this film? Is that even a question you need to ask? One and a half star stars?
November 29, 2011
weelee18
April 4, 2009
funny..
August 28, 2007
Good chemistry and I reallly thought James Gandolfini was interesting.
mingsysar
March 7, 2006
James Gandolfini! Okay, got that out of the way now. Despite the obvious lack of chemistry between the leads, this film is surprisingly quirky with an independent spirit, understandable considering the director. Julia Roberts is miscast not Brad Pitt, but there is so much more to this film than that. The character studies are intense and compelling, the story makes many shifts, this film is a constant surprise.
½ August 23, 2008
I love Julia and Brad, so I was super excited to see this. It wasn't all that great though :(
½ July 20, 2008
boring boring boring i was so disaapointed expecially in jim gandolfini