Weekly Ketchup: Natalie Portman Stays Clothed, James Cameron's Trilogy, "Pirates" Finds Gold, And More!Natalie Portman will go nude in her next role received several thousand more page views than the subsequent report debunking said rumor; James Cameron envisions some new projects in trilogy form; "Pirates" sequel broke two box-office records.
In other news, Jamie Foxx tries his hand at producing; AMC now offers lower prices for morning movies; Jamie Foxx forces Michael Mann to change the ending of Miami Vice; and Jackie Chan has his own drunken shenanigans. Read on for details.
This is as close as you'll get.
James Cameron Talks Trilogies
While we all sit with bated breath and wonder when we'll get to see a new movie from James Cameron, the guy's hard at work cooking up new trilogy ideas. While attending a "Pirates 2" screening at Disney World, the mega-successful filmmaker discussed the possibility of doing his new projects as three-parters.
"Pirates of the Caribbean" Sequel Loots Record-Breaking $55.5M on Friday
It looks like this summer will come away with a mark in the record books, if estimates hold. "Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest," the sequel to 2003's surprise smash hit "Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl," grossed $55.5M on Friday, according to BoxOfficeMojo.com. It's the biggest single-day gross ever, besting the $50M single-day debut of last year's "Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith.
Box Office Wrapup: "Pirates" Shatters Industry Records With $132 Million Take
Box office records were shattered by Johnny Depp and his companions this weekend as the much-anticipated adventure sequel Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest exploded into theaters with the biggest opening weekend in Hollywood history. Former champ Superman Returns was hit hard and fell sharply in its second weekend. However, Pirates managed to expand the overall marketplace with most holdovers not suffering large declines. For the first time in box office history, the top ten smashed through the $200M mark.
Marion Ravenwood to Return in Indiana Jones 4?
The lovely Karen Allen was on hand at a New York screening of "Raiders of the Lost Ark" last week, and (of course) someone asked her if she had any involvement whatsoever with the 4th Indy flick that we've been waiting 400 years for. And, yes, she did have an answer.
Natalie Portman Will Do Naked in Next Film
This one's for all you Portman pervs out there -- the erstwhile Queen Amidala is set to go fully nude in her upcoming pic "Goya's Ghosts," in which she plays the persecuted muse of Spanish painter Francisco Goya.
Portman Party Pooper: Natalie Won't Be Nude
After a few exhilarating days of hopeful speculation, the dreams of "Star Wars" fanboys everywhere have been crushed as Natalie Portman will not, repeat not, appear nude in her political period piece, "Goya's Ghosts." Sorry, guys.
Check Out the Pirate Chow Yun-Fat!
With the sugar high of "Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest" still coursing through your veins, you just might want a peek at "Pirates 3" villain Chow Yun-Fat. Well, we found one. (Two, actually.)
In Other News:
- Jamie Foxx and his managing partners will produce Universal's "The Power of Duff."
- BET founder Robert Johnson is teaming with Weinstein Co. to form a new movie label that will produce films aimed at African-American audiences.
- All AMC theaters in the U.S. now offer lower ticket prices for movies showing before noon. Depending on the market, prices range between $4 and $6.
- "Grey's Anatomy" star Kate Walsh will join John Cusack and Samuel L. Jackson in the adaptation of Stephen King's "1408."
- After a shooting in the Dominican Republic during filming of "Miami Vice," Jamie Foxx refused to do any more filming outside the United States, forcing director Michael Mann to change the ending of the movie, originally set to be filmed in Paraguay.
- CNBC anchor Joe Kernan reported on the air that "Pirates of the Carribean 2" broke the box-office record held by the "Aquaman" movie. The problem? "Aquaman" is a fake, existing only as part of a storyline from HBO's "Entourage."
- Cillian Murphy will play a non-creepy character in the romantic comedy "Watching the Detectives" with Lucy Liu.
- In addition to Red Buttons, musical comedy star June Allyson passed away at the age of 88, and stage and screen veteran Barnard Hughes died at 90.
- Freddie Prinze Jr. and Taryn Manning will team in the romantic satire "Jack and Jill Vs. the World," with Manning expected to contribute several songs on the soundtrack.
- And finally, Jackie Chan steals the spotlight from Weekly Ketchup fave The Hoff with an alcohol-induced exhibition of his own. After tossing back a few too many, Chan joined singer Jonathan Lee onstage at his concert and proceeded to demand a duet with him, utter a swear word, and trade insults with the frustrated audience. He later apologized for his behavior.
Drunken Master indeed.