Middlemarch Reviews

November 4, 2013
A faithful reproduction from the original novel. Not entirely convinced about the leading actress -- seems to be much older than the character in the book, which made her mistake in marriage somewhat implausible.
February 5, 2007
This unfortunately was not to my liking. I was more interested in the secondary relationships instead of the one I was supposed to be into. Not to say that I didn't like the two main characters but their relationship did not develop to my taste. Not enough "romance" to spark my fascination.
January 1, 2009
Middlemarch is no simple book to tackle, even for a six hour movie. Yet this mini-series adapts this broad and sweeping novel with apparent ease. Some of the nuances, such as Ladislaw's connection to Bulstrode, were lost amongst the dozens of other stories. An explanation of family connections, such as Mary Garth's relationship with Mr. Featherstone, were also left unexplained, The distinction in social class is also harder to discern. Yet the majority of the story and themes were translated with care and precision. Despite the numerous characters, they were each introduced in such a way as to minimize confusion. The acting was superb all around, aided in no small part by the excellent screenplay. Rufus Sewell and Juliet Aubrey were particularly engrossing. My one major gripe is the ending of their story, which was so much grander in the novel. In all other respects a marvelous achievement.
May 11, 2014
Wonderfully rendered adaptation of Eliot's masterpiece. Filled with all the color, emotions, and complexity of provincial England near the end of the Georgian era and the beginning of the Industrial Revolution. This mini-series holds up well after 20 years: it is well worth the time to view, even if you have already seen before.