Midnight (Backwoods Massacre) Reviews

August 28, 2013
I really enjoyed this one, I don't know why everyone else hates it. On imdb it got a 4. No, this might not have all the gore of other 80s films at the time, but the story is good. You really feel bad for the main character, and want to find out what's going to happen to her in the end. I really liked the little ongoing drama with her family as a backdrop to the larger plot. The two college guys that pick her up are interesting characters too. I only wish we could have gotten to know some more about the family of Satanists. Also would have liked a longer ending. But otherwise, I liked it.
May 26, 2012
There is a lot going on in this movie that thematically and stylistically will no doubt hit genre fans with hints of horror heavyweights such as: Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Last House on the Left, and Night of the Living Dead. A cult of backwards and backwoods killers practicing sadistic and primal rituals (Texas Chainsaw) but with a nice twist of overt satanism. A young girl leaving home caught between innocence and sexual liberation (Last House on the Left), an interesting homemade score (Last House on the Left), and the locale and hints of racial tension/undertones (Night of the Living Dead). It is a horror film that certainly belongs to the period it was made in and it was an interesting movie overall. Child murder, satanic blood rituals, an effectively creepy old corpse (mamma), a laughing/babbling satan worshiping hick, lots of throat slashing . . . very cool
December 29, 2007
For what it is, this is a pretty decent slasher/cult movie from the forgotten co-writer of NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD, John Russo. It's very low budget in spots, but this is a good little flick to enjoy with a six pack and a few friends. The horrible "Theme Song" will be a particular hoot.