Awards Tour 2012: Directors Guild of America Winners

Summary

On January 9, 2012, DGA President Taylor Hackford announced the five nominees for the DGA Award for Outstanding Directorial Achievement in Feature Film for 2011. Back to Article

Comments

Dave J

Dave J

Good point except that King Bertie was more important than the rest of us common folks!

Jan 9 - 04:04 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Saw all of these and I'd have to give it to Hazanavicius or Scorsese. Only one I'd lose was Allen though I wouldn't replace him with Malick obviously as I believe him to be the Anti-Christ and his movies have caused me physical pain. Would love to see Tinker Tailor or Warrior get some love as they were both beautifully constructed works.

Jan 9 - 04:58 PM

Dave Davis

Dave Davis

The problem with Malick is that he makes films that look pretty, but are otherwise pointless and odd. If you like your movies to include a plot, he isn't your guy.

Jan 9 - 05:02 PM

Janson Jinnistan

"Pointless and odd". You mean - like Facebook?

Jan 9 - 05:53 PM

Swampfox

Pat Marion

Janson, no matter how much you defend Tree of Life, you cannot deny the existence of a plot anywhere in the film. Watching it in Blu-ray, while gorgeous, is very hard to understand what the characters are saying, and, or, where the film is actually going. Directors are supposed to direct us. Directing the viewer into a series of shots where people stare aimlessly in the sky isn't directing, it's a music video.

Jan 10 - 09:27 AM

Janson Jinnistan

I've posted before that "Tree" does not have a narrative plot, so that those who find that unappealing should avoid it. But I'd argue that doesn't make it "pointless", just as I'd argue that we need more "odd" films. (I love Lynch, too!) "Tree"'s point and direction is a sequence of emotional themes rather than linear events. It's more of a poem than a story. I'll let that description stand, as the reader's reaction to it should be as helpful as any other description as to whether or not they'll have the tolerance for this kind of film. If that sounds like 'artsy-fartsy' pretension, then I'd say 'skip it'. If it sounds at all intriguing, then give it a chance.

Jan 10 - 12:43 PM

Swampfox

Pat Marion

Damnit Janson, you always know what to say.

If you admit it's not necessarily a film but rather a poem then I would have to side with you. It is very, different. It's completely odd and out there. I just feel like there are still many ways to tell a story without having to completely change the way films are made. Which is what Mallick tried to do, some people enjoyed it, you, and most didn't.

Jan 10 - 01:43 PM

ap sirius

karl anderson

you can say what you want about the films merits it still comes down to who is stroking who's ego......and Malick has always been an outsider

Jan 10 - 02:16 PM

Janson Jinnistan

He has 'virgin lips', so to speak.

Jan 10 - 03:36 PM

Eduardo Tobias

Eduardo Tobias

The Tree of Life does have a plot. It's a character arc and character arcs usually have an internal conflict. The internal conflict being the lost of innocence.

Jan 29 - 06:28 PM

Janson Jinnistan

I agree, but most people think of a plot as a 'cause and effect' linear narrative of events. "Tree" avoids this and shows this inner conflict as evolving from humans' sense of separation from 'creation', like a child separated from his parents, through self and social awareness, much as Brad Pitt's father character became separated from his music (his muse) through his material expectations of success. Penn's reconcilliation is frequently discribed as an 'afterlife' sequence, but there's no evidence that he died in the film. 'Creation' continues daily, and one doesn't need to wait for death to reconcile with it.

Jan 31 - 02:27 PM

Janson Jinnistan

"Pointless and odd". You mean - like Facebook?

Jan 9 - 05:53 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Just wondering. Was Zuckerberg actually diagnosed with Asperger's?

Jan 9 - 05:54 PM

smartx

First Last

what michel and martin have done is nothing short of spectacular... i;ll have to be xtremely hardpressed to pick either of them as best director

Jan 9 - 06:41 PM

Paul Alvarez

Paul Alvarez

Michel Hazanavicius is going to win the Oscar. And everybody will be pissed as the other four get screwed out of a win again.

Jan 9 - 06:52 PM

Supachewy

Jeffrey Cooperhouse

It will definitely be very close

Jan 9 - 07:11 PM

vic40186

victor lopez

I think it will be Malick, instead of Fincher, when the Oscar nominations come up.

Jan 9 - 07:43 PM

David Tanny

I hope not. Not that I've seen Tree of Life(or an other Terrence Malick film for that matter), Fincher is one of my favorite directors, and Girl With The Dragon Tattoo is his best film since Se7en. If he didn't get it for Social Network, I really hope he gets it for Dragon Tattoo.

Jan 9 - 08:28 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Some movies are difficult to judge without seeing them for yourself. Nuff said.

Jan 9 - 08:42 PM

David Tanny

I never judged Tree of Life.

Jan 9 - 08:58 PM

Janson Jinnistan

You misunderstand me. You SHOULD judge "Tree of Life" - by seeing it.

Jan 10 - 12:14 AM

Dave J

What if someone tried to see it and can't finish it then?

Jan 10 - 12:05 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Sounds like a judgement was made about turning it off. It's not a film for everyone. Good luck.

Jan 10 - 12:53 PM

Dave J

You know, what I'm most curious Janson is, despite your knowledge of understanding and appreciating "Tree Of Life", I've often wondered whether you can see yourself making a film similar to it, despite fully knowing that it has less chances of making any money as opposed to making a different film using Joseph Campbell's hero mythologies such as Star Wars or The Godfather?

Jan 10 - 01:29 PM

Janson Jinnistan

I prefer a variety of films, so I wouldn't want to make such a strict choice. I tend to prefer films that are made as personal expressions (and hero myths, like any fundamental archtype, can be personal as well) as opposed to films that are designed top-down based on demographic economics. It's these calculated, commercially flagrant artifacts that I would be more likely to dismiss.

Jan 10 - 03:42 PM

Tyler S.

Tyler Schwab

Damn, you're good!

Jan 29 - 11:30 AM

Noah Simon

Noah Simon

agreed. tom hooper didn't deserve it.

Jan 9 - 08:25 PM

Dave J

Which raises another question, is Tom Hooper going to direct another film since Fincher is a movie veteran of sorts!

Jan 10 - 11:57 AM

ap sirius

karl anderson

didnt quite understand your comment, but in case you were wondering , Mr Holland is directing Les Mis , I believe...

Jan 10 - 02:07 PM

Dave J

I was just pointing out that Fincher's notoriety is quite well known here as opposed to anything coming out of Tom Hooper! Perhaps I should've word it better!

Jan 10 - 02:13 PM

Jan 9 - 08:28 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Some movies are difficult to judge without seeing them for yourself. Nuff said.

Jan 9 - 08:42 PM

David Tanny

I never judged Tree of Life.

Jan 9 - 08:58 PM

Janson Jinnistan

You misunderstand me. You SHOULD judge "Tree of Life" - by seeing it.

Jan 10 - 12:14 AM

Dave J

What if someone tried to see it and can't finish it then?

Jan 10 - 12:05 PM

Jan 10 - 12:53 PM

Jan 10 - 01:29 PM

Jan 10 - 03:42 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Some movies are difficult to judge without seeing them for yourself. Nuff said.

Jan 9 - 08:42 PM

David Tanny

I never judged Tree of Life.

Jan 9 - 08:58 PM

Janson Jinnistan

You misunderstand me. You SHOULD judge "Tree of Life" - by seeing it.

Jan 10 - 12:14 AM

Dave J

What if someone tried to see it and can't finish it then?

Jan 10 - 12:05 PM

Jan 10 - 12:53 PM

Jan 10 - 01:29 PM

Jan 10 - 03:42 PM

Christopher256G

Christopher Greffin

Ugh The King Speech was one of the most standard Oscar winners in a long time. The movie is practically begging for an Oscar through the entire thing. The Social Network is a modern masterpiece.

Jan 9 - 08:56 PM

justjoustin

Joshua G

Save Colin Firth's performance, which I did think was quite extraordinary, I agree with you. TKS had a very Star Wars ending. Everyone nodding in approval at eachother after the speech. Quite ludicrous, really. It's highlights are Firth & Rush, that's all.

Jan 10 - 02:58 AM

Dave J

Actually, The King's Speech is an old man's movie which is why it won over the Social Network- there were more older voters who still don't know what a computer let alone how to operate one which is why the voters didn't see it's significance!

Jan 10 - 11:56 AM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

I liked Toy Story 3 more than The Social Network as well. For the Record.

Jan 10 - 01:23 PM

Dave J

It's okay to enjoy Toy Story 3 than the Social Network most young adults have, but what about in terms of it's importance and it's relevance! How important is Toy Story 3 as opposed to the other nominations!

Jan 10 - 01:38 PM

David Tanny

I never judged Tree of Life.

Jan 9 - 08:58 PM

Christopher256G

Christopher Greffin

Bennet Miller was snubbed for Moneyball. It's interesting that four of these are established high quality directors, with Hazanavicius being the only one who hasn't been nominated before. It may be these five in the Oscars, but neither Fincher or Allen would be nomination locks.

I predict Payne is taking this.

Jan 9 - 09:19 PM

Robert Rodriguez's 10 Best Movies

Ant-Man
Ant-Man

First pic of Marvel's Paul Rudd

Worst Summer Movies
Worst Summer Movies

We list the 60 worst since 1975

Scorecard 2014
Scorecard 2014

See where the summer movies rank