Midnight in Paris Reviews

November 6, 2011
I loved it !One of my all time favourites.Just watched again and still my fav Woody Allen.A sheer delight
April 6, 2015
No one ever explains how it happens, but I was glad it did. A very feel good movie.
½ July 12, 2012
What a magical and charming film! Owen Wilson brilliantly captures the Woody Allen persona, and the film itself successfully draws us into the world of 1920s without questioning the plausibility. Midnight in Paris is filled with wit and grace, and one of the best time-traveling romcom films of all time. The visuals and the songs make you swoon all over the place. Brilliant!
½ April 3, 2015
The first 5 minutes are enough for a tourism campaign for Paris! CHARMING!
The movie on the other hand is not that charming, the idea is fresh and the plot was entertaining but I felt like it ended suddenly.
½ March 16, 2015
Los tiempos antiguos fueron mejores - Idiota Promedio
½ March 16, 2015
Midnight in Paris is perhaps the best of Woody Allen's more recent pictures. It's a simple story of a man in search of himself, and his journey takes him back in time, a time of decades past that will redefine his decades future. Its characters are little flat, but the film's story is so strong, and its lead nevertheless likable, sympathetic, and engaging, that it's easy to overlook the otherwise one-shot players and instead revel in the breeziness and purpose of the story. Midnight in Paris is a fun, catchy, easy watch that's as well made as it is meaningful.
March 2, 2015
Charming and funny but strongly targets the francophile and art-history loving people of the world. Not for everyone!
½ November 24, 2013
If you've been to Paris you'll love this. If you haven't been you'll love it after watching this. Brilliant characters; a fantastic soundtrack; great scenery. Having always loved Wilson as a comedic actor and recently watched some other Allen works, it is belatedly clear to me how Wilson is an embodiment of Allen. A wonderfully nostalgic look at the Paris of the 'Lost Generation' and the classical European artists of the the early-to-mid 20th century. One of my favourite films, due to its subject matter and originality. As a Francophile and big lover of Paris I am somewhat gripped by the scenery. It is easy to see why Allen won the Academy Award for best Original Screenplay. Just a fantastically fresh, light-hearted film.
June 21, 2011
A gentle calm but surprisingly enjoyable story.
½ February 27, 2015
Well this just confirms me that I'm not a fan of Woody Allen's movies. I feel like I would have enjoyed this story more if I had read it as a short story. I admit that the music and the atmosphere of Paris in the twenties and Paris during "La Belle Époque" were magical and well-done and that there were great performances in that movie as Marion Cotillard's for example. I also have to admit that I appreciate the storyline where the main protagonist travel back in time to meet big names as Dali and Fitzgerald, but once again I didn't feel "involved" in that Woody Allen's movie. I feel like it stays on the surface and that the different characters as Hemingway and Picasso could have been depicted more in depth. I guess it's just not my type of movies.
June 12, 2011
I was ready to completely write this movie off until the final 20 minutes, when it finally came together thematically. But I must repeat something I often say: Just because you name-drop famous artists doesn't magically make your film well written or well made or artistic. I hated the first hour of this movie. It only redeemed itself at the end.
½ May 31, 2011
Some of the most beautiful art, food and fashion has come out of one magical city. Naturally it's easy to develop an obsession with a city that has so much historical significance and aesthetic pleasures. In Midnight In Paris, Woody captures that dreaminess perfectly. Gill Pender is a screenwriter who dreams of a better day in the City of Lights, and at midnight he finds it. He leaves the humdrum vacation with his fiancee & family, to escape to 1920's Paris and have debates about love with Hemingway & Gertrude Stein. The expat bohemian lifestyle seems idyllic to him, but he soon discovers the fleetingness of nostalgia.
One of Woody's most successful films of all time, this is a delight to watch. There's such a joy in seeing the lost generation get drunk every night and party in Europe. In previous films it's successful fictional people who are kvetching about their station in life, but here we have known literary geniuses grabbing life by the fat of it's belly and squeezing. Every shot feels like a Renoir painting with bursts of color. Owen Wilson doesn't initially ring as a good fit for Allen's material, but he's a natural with his own cadence with the non-sequiturs. Every line by Corey Stoll as Hemingway steals the show
The only downside of this romp is the character for Rachel McAdams. She and Michael Sheen are both very talented, and do a wonderful job of playing assholes, but they are strawman characters written only to be an irritant and never to have any depth.
In the end, I love this movie for how it makes me feel. One of the few Allen movies that let's magic defeat logic, and make us all dream of having a drink with our idols. Philosophical, magical escapism is why we go to the movies.
Best enjoyed with brie-filled croissants and Pinot Grigio.
½ July 27, 2013
I think that this movie really tells a message that our present-day world is in need of. It aims to make us understand that we should escape more often the rules that govern our daily life, our society, our entourage, everything that surrounds us and makes us act like some robotized creatures, dominated by mercantilism and falsity. It tells the story of the intellectual who confronts himself with so-called social problems because of his different way of seeing and experiencing life. Paris is a portal for the protagonist through which he accesses the past eras that he thinks he belongs to, but also the change of the living ambient that reveals the differences between his and his wife's ways of seeing things and living. Great script, the movie is catchy from start to end.
½ February 16, 2015
"Midnight in Paris" is one of Woody Allen's best films in recent memory (other than "Blue Jasmine") and is probably one of my favorites. With good acting from the majority of this star studded cast, Wood Allen's writing and direction really bring this film home with a sweet and witty story.
February 5, 2015
Una mezcla perfecta entre magia y realidad que nos enseña la magia de la nostalgia sin dejar de lado el presente en el que vivimos.
½ January 30, 2015
Funny, beautiful and clever. Classic Allen. Full review later.
January 29, 2015
It really doesn't get more perfect than this.
½ January 28, 2015
Woody Allen sometimes makes movies for himself. As in, instead of his audience. That annoys me.
January 27, 2015
Being able to take a common human predicament and put it into a jarringly relatable is one of Woody Allen's most effective gifts. This film is a courageous and honest admission of our own frailty as humans. Fantastic performances and dialogue round out an already fantastic film.
January 23, 2015