A Midsummer Night's Sex Comedy Reviews

April 24, 2007
Not Woody Allen's best - rather witty, but a little on the dull side.
September 6, 2011
It's an interesting idea, Shakespearean adaptations and period dramas were rife in the early 80's, so to do one with Woody Allen's witticisms was probably well received at the time. As much as I liked the script, performances and watching Allen flying about in a floating bicycle, it didn't quite grab me and I found it a little dated. It's still amusing and odd enough for me to give it three stars though.
blkbomb
½ September 3, 2011
Andrew: He's a wonderful guy and a terrific doctor. Never lost a patient. Got a couple of them pregnant, but never lost one.

"Six characters in search for love."

Halfway through this movie, I didn't believe there was any way I was going to like it at all. I did, however, warm up to it, but still just couldn't find myself really liking the movie. The cinematography was beautiful, the performances were strong, but I didn't like the movie. For having the word Comedy in its title, it sure wasn't that comedic.

The characters were extremely wacky and that lead to an extremely wacky and annoying ending. Woody Allen plays Woody Allen as an inventor.  Mary Steenburger is her usual annoying self, but she does give a good performance by her standards. The others were all good, but I didn't find myself liking any of the characters, which is weird for a Woody Allen movie because I normally like the women characters in his movies.

This falls towards the lower half of Allen's movies, when it comes to quality. His movies are really hit and miss for me. I've loved a lot of his movies and I've disliked many of them. Some of them just seem like he couldn't think of anything else, so he made a short little comedy just so he could get his movie out for that year. He's obviously a great director with movies like Hannah and Her Sisters and Manhattan, but sometimes I wonder how I've ever liked a movie from him when I see one like this. Then I go watch Hannah and Her Sisters over again and he's a god of filmmaking once again.
½ June 18, 2007
More or less Woody Allen playing himself in a Bergman film. Good for a few laughs, far from him best, far from his worst.
½ July 26, 2010
I always forget how funny Woody can be.
jjnxn
½ August 4, 2007
Adequate reworking of A Midsummer's Night's Dream but hardly Woody's best. For so short a film it feels curiously inert.
June 9, 2007
I just realized that all of Woody Allen's movies LOOK quite different but they all have the unmistakable stamp of Woody still. This is such a beautiful movie! And such beautiful people! And such fantastic physical comedy with its light romp between sex and love and their inextricable bind and its hilarious anachronisms and the funny little inventions like the flying machine and the big shadow ball. Light, imaginative farce suits Woody.
garyX
March 28, 2007
An enjoyably light comic homage to Shakespearian comedy, complete with an ensemble cast and many farcical misunderstandings. One of Allen's more pleasing and watchable offerings, more upbeat and less self absorbed. Jose Ferrer is great as the pompous Leopold.
April 10, 2011
A surprisingly weak film from Allen during a time when he was at his creative peak. The problem is that the 'magical' element just doesn't work here, and the characters are not very appealing.
½ July 15, 2010
This movie was a pleasant surprise. A screwball sex comedy, a take on Shakespeare's "A Midsummer Night's Dream" and homages to directors Renoir and Bergman and Russian writer Checkov,
I found the film to be funny and especially enjoyed the absurdist elements of the plot.
Excellent cast! I especially liked Mary Steenburgen. I loooved her in the kitchen scene!
½ January 10, 2008
Woody Allen doing Shakespeare is a great idea, but sadly he skimps on the actual comedy.
Tecnoandre
September 11, 2011
The plot is loosely based on Ingmar Bergman's Smiles of a Summer Night. This was the first of 13 movies that Allen would make starring Mia Farrow. Farrow's role was originally written for another famous Allen lead actress, Diane Keaton, but she was busy promoting her film Reds and preparing to begin production on Shoot the Moon. It also marks the first appearance of Allen as an ensemble performer in his own film, as previously he had either been the lead character or did not appear in his films.
Julie Hagerty, Mary Steenburgen, Tony Roberts and Jose Ferrer co-starred.
With beautiful cinematography and classical soundtrack by Felix Mendhelsson this is a nice and easy comedy.
April 11, 2007
Any time Allen is combined with a masterful cameraman (Willis, Di Palma, or Nykvist) the result is worth watching, even if the movie, like this one, is just something he did for fun one summer.
October 31, 2009
It's half an hour or so of okay and then it gets quite amusing and then just ends quite silly. Totally your call but I thought it was just funny enough for a 3 star.
August 14, 2007
Not one of Woody Allen's masterpieces, but even his light comedies are enjoyable. This is also notable for being the first time he worked with Mia Farrow - which only happened because Diane Keaton was unavailable to play the part. There are some entertaining moments and some hilarious sight gags (the first time we see Allen himself made me laugh out loud). Don't go out of your way to hunt it down unless you're an Allen fan, but it's certainly watchable.
March 1, 2010
Does love complicate things and sex alleviate them or visa versa? Woody Allen?s early 80?s 18th century period piece explores every facet of love?s labours lost and won in this hilarious and enticing comedic achievement.
½ March 21, 2008
Sometimes funny look at bachelorhood v. marriage, science v. the metaphysical, and nostalgia for the road not taken..Good.
June 27, 2009
A very unusual film, wonderful and entertaining. Woody Allen's creative and imaginative direction is a big plus. The cast is great, particularly Mary Steenburgen and Jose Ferrer. Not among Allen's best, but well worth a look. Good cinematography.
April 17, 2006
I've watched this movie every summer since I was about 15. I love Woody Allen, but I think I like this one for the scenery.
½ November 25, 2006
As everyone knows, I'm something of a Woody Allen apologist, and it's possible that I'm being a tad generous with my rating of this mid-list Allen "comedy" that's admittedly few on laughs but rich in meditations on love and relationships. Indeed, I nearly docked the film a half-star for its wretched final scene, which nearly serves to undermine the message of the rest of the movie, but I gave Mr. Allen a respite. However, the film does have some stellar performances from an able cast that's more than able to handle Allen's quirky dialogue and lengthy monologues. The story involves three couples who spend a weekend at a quaint country house, but find themselves attracted to each other's partners, leading to some increasingly bizarre situations and plenty of illicit encounters. Mia Farrow has never been better, or looked lovelier, and it's a hoot to see Julie Haggerty (the female lead of "Airplane!") in a slightly more dramatic role.