Mighty Aphrodite Reviews

January 11, 2008
Better than average woody Allen movie. Like Mira Sorvino in this one. Didn't like the Greek chanters. Made no sense at all and no point them being there.
½ December 26, 2008
"Of all human weaknesses, obsession is the most dangerous, and the silliest!"

When he discovers his adopted son is a genius, a New York sportswriter seeks out the boy's birth mother: a prostitute.

A cute, solid Woody Allen comedy that's not as good as many of the comedies that came before but is worlds better than many that came after.

Allen plays a sports writer who goes searching for the mother of his adopted son, only to find that she's a prostitute. Played by Mira Sorvino, this character is one of Allen's most delightful creations, a Judy Holliday with a foul mouth. In fact, this is one of Allen's raunchier movies, but it's also one of his sweetest. Sorvino walks a tightrope between dingy and heartbreaking that deservedly won her an Oscar.

Allen uses a Greek chorus to comment on the action throughout the film, populated with famous actors like Olympia Dukakis, F. Murray Abraham and Jack Warden.
½ November 9, 2006
Odd, like all of Woody's films. It was alright and kind of funny though.
April 16, 2007
I think I enjoyed this a little more than I should have: it kind of skirts the heavier issues and makes the central plot point - tracking down your adopted child's birth mother - awfully light, and it's a little on the corny side in places... Mira Sorvino, for example, is over the top, and Michael Rappaport is... well, Michael Rappaport. Nevertheless, the ironically used Greek chorus and the framing of the main characters' quest in terms of the Oedipus plot should go down as one of Allen's cleverest devices, and though Woody Allen was basically playing himself (as he always does), he yet again inserted himself into a story crazy enough for his "character" (persona, more precisely?) to be believable.
October 7, 2007
So cute. Mira Sorvino is not what I expected at all and I find her quite endearing. This is a midpoint between Woody's "love notes" and his serious dramas - it doesn't possess huge themes but it gets a little more complex than...nostalgia, like in Radio Days. The Greek chorus is an extremely clever and some great one-liners are thrown out by them. It's not my favorite Woody but a pretty dependable sort of film.
September 26, 2007
One of my favorite Woody Allen films.
½ November 5, 2006
Really funny. Kind of marks the end of an era.
½ March 5, 2008
This movie, while a little too cute at the end, is a pretty creative Allen film. Mira Sorvino is very funny in her oscar winning role. I did like the idea of incorporating a greek chorus, which adds some originality to a story that is kinda predictable. Still there are a lot of laughs and it will put you in a good mood.
½ June 5, 2007
Mira Sorvino MAKES this movie. This was sort of the opposite of Bullets Over Broadway for me. I had a good amount of laughs, but wasn't as consistently entertained. I don't like Helena Bonham Carter here. The Greek chorus is a clever touch, one that initially left me cold, but grew on me throughout the film.
October 28, 2011
A delightful treat, quirky and witty. Mira Sorvino is amazing as a hooker!!!!
½ April 25, 2008
Mira Sorvino is quite a bit more loveable than as the whore with a heart of gold than Julia Roberts was. This is a good time and Woody Allen contrasts her nicely.
January 27, 2009
I find Woody Allen to be very hit/miss. This one is a hit. Mira Sorvino is terrific, the subconscious Greek theatre angle is wonderful and I adore the extreme lack of editting - it really lets the actors and the scene flow without interruption. It's just a shame that Helena Bonham Carter is completely wasted.
August 6, 2008
Both Scoop and Mighty Aphrodite, two modern works from Allen, is playing in a far lower division than his earlier films. The Greek choir was just annoying and got a way too large part. Story only fairly interesting and the dialogs can't be compared to his masterpieces.
½ April 28, 2012
Surprisingly good. I hate movies that Woody Allen acts but this one was actually pretty good and funny. Mira Sorvino shocked some people with her acting in this movie but it was good enough for an Oscar.
½ July 21, 2007
It was much better than a lot of new Woody Allen but I still struggled to see the point. Furthermore, I've seen quite a ton of Allen films in the last couple months and I'm starting to notice that they are all the same. It's fine for a director to have a style and thematic preferences but it's almost as if he just thinks of a narrative gimmick (in this case the Greek chorus) and then writes the same old movie around it. I'm so sick of watching him sleep with hot women just because he views himself as 'nice' and his self-obsession is getting clunky and irritating.
½ May 21, 2007
How does Woody Allen churn out such interesting movies over and over again? This one takes a slight turn from his usual plot - there's not as many intricate love dodecahedrons. The plot is fairly simple: Woody Allen plays a man who goes searching for his adopted son's birth mother. He finds out she is a prostitute and builds a friendship with her to try to convince her to switch professions. Mira Sorvino is hilarious as the birth mother, who is extremely dumb but convinced she's a budding intellectual. They're all accompanied by a sort of Greek dramatic chorus that helps their story along. Sometimes that worked, and sometimes the joke got a little old. But it didn't matter all that much because it would never take too long to return to the heart of the story, where Allen's trademark snappy dialogue and very upbeat story made it one of the most feel-good films he's ever made. Definitely worth watching.
July 5, 2008
Mira Sorvino could be considered annoying in this movie, but I think she's a total delight. In my opinion, this is Woody Allen's finest.
½ August 19, 2007
I thought it was pretty funny! I don't know if M. Sorvino was Oscar worthy, but it was entertaining.
I didn't Like H. Bonham Carter in this, though.
June 13, 2007
Like most modern Woody Allen pictures, one third of the film is comic gold, the rest is bogged-down filler.
February 25, 2007
I don't know what all the fuss was about, didn't care for it, she was much better in Replacement Killers.