71% Hercules Jul 25

85% Welcome to Sweden: Season 1
76% You're the Worst: Season 1

The Mighty Ducks Reviews

June 13, 2007
Mighty ducks was one of the best Disney movies. It is still ok. Wonderful for children
May 23, 2014
Gordon Bombay (Emilio Estevez) is a successful Minneapolis defense attorney, whose truculent courtroom antics have earned him no respect among his peers. After successfully defending a client, Bombay is called into his boss's office expecting to be congratulated. Instead he is chastised for embarrassing the judge. Depressed, he goes out drinking and is subsequently arrested for drunken driving, Bombay is sentenced to community service by coaching the local "District 5" PeeWee hockey team. Bombay has a history with the sport, although his memories are far from pleasant: he blew a penalty shot, costing his team the title and disappointing his hyper-competitive coach, Jack Reilly (Lane Smith). When Bombay meets the team, he realizes the children have no practice facility, equipment or ability to go with it. The team's first game with Bombay at the helm is against Bombay's old team: the Hawks, the team from the snooty suburb of Edina. Reilly is still head coach and remains bitter about Gordon's shortcoming in that fateful game. District 5 gets pummeled and after Bombay berates the team for not listening to him the players challenge his authority. For the next game, Bombay tries to teach his team how to dive and get penalites. Meanwhile, Bombay discovers his old mentor and family friend Hans (Joss Ackland) who owns a nearby sporting goods store was in attendance. While visiting him, Bombay recalls that he quit playing hockey after losing his father four months before the championship game. Bombay then approaches his boss, Gerald Ducksworth (Josef Sommer) to sponsor the team, which Ducksworth reluctantly agrees. The result is a complete makeover for the team, both in look (as they can now buy professional equipment) and in skill (as Bombay has more time to teach the kids hockey fundamentals). Now playing as the "Ducks" (named for Bombay's boss), they fight to a tie in the next game and recruit three new players: figure-skating siblings Tommy (Danny Tamberelli) and Tammy Duncan (Jane Plank) and slap shot specialist and enforcer Fulton Reed (Elden Henson). The potential of Ducks player Charlie Conway (Joshua Jackson) catches Bombay's eye and he takes him under his wing. How far can Gordon take the team and can he rekindle with his childhood passion hockey?...

"The Mighty Ducks" is a pretty predictable Disney production, that pretty much just appeals to younger kids. Then again, that was without no doubt the idea. There´s no surprises and the making amends in life goes throughout the movie as a pillar and the storyline with a down and out coach taking a sports team to successful level is a classic tale we have seen several times. Emilio Estevez is ok as the disgraced lawyer and the general feel of the movie is ok, nothing more, nothing less. And it was nice to see a movie set in Minneapolis/St Paul for once, a place I visited last year. Some trivia is that when The Anaheim Mighty Ducks were added as an expansion team to the National Hockey League they were named after the movie because the team was owned by Disney. The team was then renamed The Anaheim Ducks after Disney sold it in 2005.
Michael M.
May 8, 2014
How is this so low on the tomatometer?! CLASSIC!
Matt H.
April 19, 2014
The Mighty Ducks is a light kids sports movie that everyone will remember, but not everyone will like. In the spectrum of sports movies, it does well, but as its own film, it's not so good.
March 22, 2014
this movie still makes me laugh
February 12, 2010
I'm actually shocked by some of the negative comments. I've always thought that The Mighty Ducks was a spectacular movie. The theme music adds to the magic as it's something I've never forgotten. I'd rate this as my favorite hockey movie. It's also a great family film and a Disney classic in its own right. (First viewing - Childhood)
October 20, 2012
I don't even care, I love this movie.
May 21, 2008
I really should see this again
April 2, 2011
A good, warm hearted blast from the past.
September 29, 2013
The fact that this only gets 12% positive reviews from critics calls into question the worth of all movie critics everywhere (well, aside from the 12% who had the foresight to see this movie for the classic it clearly is).
September 13, 2013
you serious??? i loved this movie!!!!
August 26, 2013
I have to admit that I loved this one as a child. Having watched it again many years later, whilst I can't say that I enjoyed it as much as my youth, I can see why, to a kid, this one would seem to be a classic. Emilio Estevez is a likeable character at the worst of times and this is a good one to watch with a bunch of youngsters. If you enjoyed this in your childhood, it might just be worth that re-watch.
November 20, 2011
I can't believe the difference between audience and critics here. This movie made me want to play hockey. Thanks Mighty Ducks. I just have got one thing to say to you critics, "You guys STINK"
August 1, 2007
why is skating in a V shape advantageous and not a really stupid strategy, emilio? that's what one of the kids should've asked emilio. they won strickley on heart.
July 18, 2013
The definition of 90s Disney, Herek's hockey comedy wears its shameless sappiness & goofiness on its sleeves and never apologises for it: Its by-the-books plot and token 'emotional' scenes (complete with sad piano music) are bolstered by the charisma and warmth of its young cast, with Estevez fitting well into the role of a 'jerk with a heart of gold', some dashes of humour here and there bolstered by said camaraderie,and some pretty well shot and edited hockey sequences that are fun and tense in equal measure.
July 8, 2013
Ok... I know I'm enraged by this absurdly low 12% rating more in part because this was a favorite film of my childhood, but... seriously, 12%?? Then-unknown Emilio Estevez gives a Sheen-sized bravado performance, Josh Jackson's quiet Charlie is a lovable-yet-sturdy rock for the rest of the goofball team, and... well, yes I had a major crush on Margeurite Moreau. All in all, the whole cast provides a slew of memorable scenes in this exemplary reboot on the timeless 'team of underdogs prevail against a $$$-grubbing pro-team of douchebags' trope to stand up against the cheap rip-offs that then started pouring out of Hollywood soon after (Rick Moranis' Little Giants, Steve Guttenberg's The Big Green, and even MDII & III), proving that critics/adults in the 90's really just didn't understand. 5/5 Still holds up as a classic in my book. GOLDBERG!
July 2, 2013
2013-07-02 predictable but fun.
April 21, 2011
I almost feel like its blasphemy to give this movie anything below four stars
April 22, 2011
A very formulaic kids sports movie that has just enough fun to entertain.
July 25, 2011