• R, 1 hr. 47 min.

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

A Mighty Heart Reviews

Daniel P

June 24, 2007
Honestly, what really stands head and shoulders above an otherwise still very well written and made film is Angelina Jolie's terrific performance as Mariane Pearl. Claustrophobic, tragic and moving, A Mighty Heart is a great film made excellent by Jolie's presence. Gripping & involving and very much closely following the real events.
July 19, 2014
The movie lives up to the title. Terrific performances, especially Angelina, and a very sad story, that the civilized world will never forget.
May 28, 2014
ms jolie you are amazing
May 26, 2014
Moving and important
339z
April 10, 2014
wow ummmmn just seen this movie 4 the 1st time n think that this is such a really sad movie 2 watch......its got a good cast of actors/actressess throughout this movie.......i think that angelina jolie, dan futterman, irfan khan, denis o hare, archie panjabi, play good roles/parts throughout this movie......i think that the director of this drama movie had done a great job of directing this movie because you never know what 2 expect throughout this movie......i think that this is such a really well directed/written/acted movie 2 watch.......its got a good soundtrack throughout this movie.......i think that this is such a really powerful drama movie 2 watch it is a really sad movie 2 watch.......i think that angelina jolie was brilliant throughout this movie as Mariane Pearl, i think that Dan Futterman as Daniel Pearl was great throughout this movie......i think that this is such a really powerful drama movie 2 watch...... i think that this is such a really sad movie 2 watch as it is a real life story movie 2 watch it is such a really powerful drama movie 2 watch its such a sad movie 2 watch.......i think that the cameos thorughout this movie Pervez Musharraf as himself President of Pakistan archival footage
Colin Powell as himself United States Secretary of State archival footage were good throughout this movie.......i think that this is such a really sad movie 2 watch......i think that this is such an amazingly brilliant movie 2 watch it is a really sad movie 2 watch its such a really powerful drama movie 2 watch it is such a really sad tear-jerking movie 2 watch it is such a really sad movie 2 watch but its such a really powerful drama movie 2 watch with a great cast throughout this movie its such a really tear-jerking movie 2 watch its such a really sad movie 2 watch but it is such a brilliant movie 2 watch with a great cast throughout this movie.......
judebd
April 7, 2014
Is it Mariane Pearl or Jolie ?
Utmost effort made by the director/screen writer to fit it in to actual events. No one can deny that. Chaotic events filmed in Pakistan epitomized this truth.
Buggy43
February 14, 2014
I wish I'd liked this more. I expected to but ultimately found it slow moving, choppy and kinda dull. It's been filmed almost like a documentary, recounting the days following the abduction of Marianne Pearl's husband Daniel by terrorists in Pakistan. Angelina Jolie plays Marianne and is amazing, I was captivated whenever she was on the screen. The part where she finds out her husband has been killed is just brutal, she displays such raw pain. As much as I found this a disappointing, mediocre movie its days later now and I still can't stop thinking about it. Maybe it was better than I realized? 03.17.14
hipsterfilmreviews
February 23, 2014
Warning:
Kidnapping
Violence
January 10, 2014
Jolie does a great performance, but equally impressive is the portrayal of the Pakistani police that works very hard to get results, and the city Karachi itself in its chaotic sense making it even clearer how difficult it is to do any kind of investigation.
September 21, 2013
The situation in that time seemed to be, everyone having a sense of personal danger, which Daniel Pearl embodied for everybody. I mean, important U. S. officials, Pakistan ministers, the terrorists also, and there was a lot of collateral damage. If any U. S. citizen had experienced what the Pakistani citizen had, in the movie, they would have killed the person subjecting them to the behavior, citing the Second U. S. Amendment, and it would have been upheld by the U. S. Supreme Court, as a justifiable act of self defense. The U. S. govt. is careful, because people have the right to be armed, and the President is expected to step down if there is general agreement. I seriously feel, that it is disenfranchising, when a highly qualified journalist who lives a life to be dedicated in the pursuit of journalism, can be what she or he isn't in the U. S.. If the situation had been similar in the U. S., the journalists who cover the news would have done the same thing, but.... .
September 20, 2013
Just not the thing for me in the sense of movie.
closedmouth
August 7, 2008
Jolie is a slight distraction from one of the most perfect demonstrations I've seen of how to build tension in a film. Winterbottom puts on a clinic, which is especially impressive given that the outcome was a forgone conclusion. My guts were in a vice for 90% of this. I was not expecting to enjoy it as much as I did.
November 16, 2007
I'm not her biggest fan, but Angelina Jolie was robbed of an Oscar nomination.
August 14, 2013
"A Mighty Heart" treats its subject and source material with precision. Though it feels occasionally stalling, the film still deals with the reality of the situation and is done rewarding favours by a remarkably emotionally strong performance by Angelina Jolie.
May 21, 2013
Very moving. I enjoyed it immensely. Angelina did an incredible job conveying the deep pits of despair that Mariann must have felt...
May 18, 2013
Different/Just OK/Not bad/Didn't really like.
BSHnarejo
October 5, 2010
Wall Street Journal reporter Daniel Pearl, could have been a disaster: cheap, movie-of-the-week-style exploitation of a sensational kidnapping and highly publicized killing. Instead, British director Michael Winterbottom and a fine cast headed by Angelina Jolie crafted an intricate policier that's both suspenseful and thoughtful about the turmoil surrounding Pearl's disappearance and the importance of what he and other journalists were attempting to do in what had become one of the most dangerous places on earth.

January 23, 2002: While most foreign journalists have already left Karachi, Pakistan, in the wake of the U.S. war against the Taliban, Daniel Pearl (Dan Futterman), the Journal's South Asia bureau chief, and his pregnant wife, French public-radio reporter Mariane Pearl (Jolie), remain behind at the home of their friend and colleague, Asra Nomani (Archie Panjabi). Pearl is following a lead he hopes will take him to Sheikh Syed Mubarak Ali Gilani, an Islamist cleric who may be tied to so-called "shoe bomber" Richard Reid. Through a series of intermediaries, contacts and a mysterious "fixer" named "Bashir" (Aly Khan), a meeting between Pearl and Gilani is arranged at a Karachi restaurant. But unbeknownst to Pearl, Gilani isn't even in Karachi; the rendezvous is a carefully laid trap. When he fails to return home and calls to his cell phone go unanswered, Mariane begins to worry. The following morning, she contacts the police. As the fear that Danny has been kidnapped becomes a terrible likelihood, Asra's house fills with police, Journal colleagues, FBI agents, representatives from the U.S. consulate's Diplomatic Security Service, and Pakistani law-enforcement officers, including the head of the Crime Investigation Department's counterterrorism group (played by THE NAMESAKE's superb Irrfan Khan), who is determined not to allow a pack of insane kidnappers soil his country's honor. Several days later, a series of disturbing e-mails and photographs are sent to U.S. newspapers: Pearl is shown handcuffed with a gun to his head, the prisoner of terrorists who accuse him of spying for the CIA. It's a ridiculous accusation, but Mariane prays the kidnappers don't know the one thing that will surely get him killed in a culture warped by anti-Semitic disinformation: Daniel Pearl is Jewish.

A MIGHTY HEART is in many ways a companion piece to Winterbottom's previous film, THE ROAD TO GUANTANAMO, which followed the ordeal of three Englishmen of Pakistani descent who were accused of being enemy fighters in Afghanistan and held without trial at Guantanamo Bay's notorious Camp X Ray. Winterbottom shows the way reports of such abuses helped fuel the anti-American rage in terrorists like Pearl's murderers, and the film is a fitting tribute to Pearl and other journalists who died trying to explain the turmoil, hatred, corruption and confusion to the rest of the world, a chaos reflected in cinematographer Marcel Zyskind's footage of Karachi. Though absurdly criticized for being too "white" to play Mariane Pearl, Jolie gives an excellent performance. She portrays Mariane as gutsy, smart, passionate and highly efficient in the search for her husband, though brown contact lenses lend her expression a dead-eyed stare that's at complete odds with the spark evident in Mariane Pearl's face even during her darkest days.
May 18, 2011
I guess if you pay attention to the news, you know how it ends. This is the story of what happens behind the scenes from the wifes POV. Umm, it was pretty tense and flew for a 2 hour movie, but I couldn;t keep track of any of the bad guys and keep them seperate from who they all were. Confusing a bit!
January 27, 2013
God bless his family.
December 29, 2010
I was glad to see Pakistan and what its people were like. After studying the country, I have wondered what kind of place it really is and this gave me a good idea. I do remember this story in the headlines, and was glad to see that it showed how Mariane looked at and accepted the bigger picture and not just the tragic aspect. I am reluctant to give Jolie and the film the credit however, considering it was not very compelling and I found myself half heartedly watching it.