• PG-13, 1 hr. 27 min.
  • On DVD:    Sep 23, 2003
  • Castle Rock Entertainment

A Mighty Wind Reviews

Stitch L June 15, 2013
Just not that interested in this movie. :(
Kyle B September 9, 2014
This is the third Christopher Guest movie I have seen and I am just enjoying them all. It isn't as good as Best in Show but I just love that he uses the same cast. O'Hara, Shearer, Levy, Lynch, and Willard are all great. The musical numbers are great especially the title track "A Mighty Wind"
Simeon T. Simeon T. July 17, 2014
This is a perfect example of a movie which isn't quite a success , through little fault of its own. The bar has been set so high by Spinal Tap, Guffman and Best in Show that the pantheon can't be reached. This movie is funny at times and surprisingly sweet, but its just too mild a chili. It has some standout moments, its definitely worth seeing, but it isn't to the level of its predecessors.
Steve D December 9, 2009
not particularly funny but has its moments
Dawn K ½ September 5, 2008
Funny!!
Everyone in this movie is very musically talented. I had no idea that Eugene Levy could sing, much less as well as he does. I was so impressed with all of their singing AND playing skills. Which made this movie even more enjoyable. They all play off each other so well.
Shot "documentary" style, this "spoof" on folk music and its craze is very well done and absolutely hilarious in parts. Highly enjoyable!!
Tracy F November 6, 2009
Watched this recently as it has been a while. I forget how damn funny this is. I could watch these guys in anything. Parker Posey rocks. AND from Mississippi! :)
Josh W ½ February 20, 2014
It takes awhile to get going and may not be everyone's cup of tea, but once the colorful cast of characters come together for the big climax, the laughs amp up, and it's hard not to admire the care and determination to produce such a convincing mockumentary. Although I'm not into folk music so much, it was still amusing to see the clash of some has-beens with a newer generation of performers while poking fun at some of the tropes that plague the genre's history. Fans of that particular type of music or people who grew up with it will probably get more enjoyment out of the film, but it's still an immensely well made and intelligent comedy.
Steve T March 3, 2013
I still listen to the soundtrack!
Grant S September 1, 2013
Folk music gets given the Spinal Tap treatment, and it's hilarious. Not surprising, as A Mighty Wind was written and directed by Christopher Guest, who along with Michael Mckean, Harry Shearer and Rob Reiner, gave us the mind-blowingly brilliant This is Spinal Tap.

Great parody of folk music, though the movie is not at all malicious in its parodying. The music is actually quite charming, despite its inherent naivety and idealism.

Great performances from a great cast: in addition to Guest, McKean and Shearer, Eugene Levy, Catherine O'Hara, Bob Balaban, Jane Lynch, Parker Posey, Fred Willard and Ed Begley Jr. Stand-out performance goes to Eugene Levy - every expression and word of his is hilarious.
Ian F August 12, 2013
I'm not overly familiar with Christopher Guest so this is quirky but expected. That said, it is kinda a weird but loveable trip with tons of familiar character actors. But the heart is Eugene Levy and Catherine O'Hara. So sweet, bittersweet, to see their Oscar nominated performance.
april m August 4, 2013
this is really not even a real movie its like all about these 3 guys talking about their selfs and each other.......STUPID!!!!
Robert R August 4, 2013
It's humor may be a little too slow and dry for some, but the lovable characters, infectious music, and entertaining use of mockumentary format make "A Mighty Wind" worth a glance.
Matt M August 2, 2013
Christopher Guest returns to the mockumentary genre. After taking on the rock and roll in the legendary This is Spinal Tap, he takes on the world of folk music in this film about the behind the scenes of a tribute concert in New York City for which three well known acts get back together. With this film, Guest arguably becomes the kind of the genre. Funny and charming, this is quite different from This is Spinal Tap, but nevertheless very entertaining in its own right.
Alison J July 15, 2013
Another gem from Guest, this one has real heart.
Chris K ½ July 7, 2013
I'm sorry, I just don't get how this is funny.
Michael R June 18, 2013
remove it from my collection please
Laura T June 15, 2013
This was one of my "earned" movies and now I can see why they were giving it away free. This did not hold my attention at all.
thexwing thexwing ½ June 14, 2013
A great fun movie with a brilliantly funny cast and a few surprises. I'm not a Folk music fan by any means but I can say the writing of the songs as well as the performances by the cast made the story blend into a fun light hearted mockumentary.
Ker Malkin G ½ June 1, 2013
Great mockumentary. :)
Kristy P May 10, 2013
I have not watched more than a few min of this. It was added by flixster.