63% The Maze Runner Sep 19

87% The Strain: Season 1
79% You're the Worst: Season 1

Loose Cannons (Mine Vaganti) Reviews

September 30, 2012
Lovely views of a southern Italian town, peppered with good food and hearty familial ties make this a charming, enjoyable experience. I really liked the opening & ending sequences with the family matriarch.
September 6, 2014
Amazing!!! One of my favorite movies of all time! I can't stop watching it! What a great story, acting and message. Totally recommended!
August 18, 2014
a mix of fun, romantic, sad moments its a MUST SEE
March 14, 2014
Absolutely loved this Italian movie!
September 16, 2013
Cine italiano: el honor de la familia frente a todo.
September 9, 2013
It is not a comedy, a melodrama rather. It's a beautifully filmed movie but slow. Premise is trite and you always expect to be surprised. There is none. It is the stereotype of a foreign movie: Pretty, dull and reveals nothing other than you want to immediately see something good ie., Casablanca, even National Treasure just to wipe out the stale feeling in your mouth.
August 8, 2013
Pretty photos of Italy--with a dumb storyline and empty characters.
July 24, 2013
loved this movie. Complex. Funny. Poignant. the movie info here just scratches the surface of the beginning of the film. Lesson take away: Be true to yourself. Great cinematography. I agree with Rich Cline the critic who says below: "It's bright and smart and ultimately surprisingly moving."
October 14, 2010
Funny and engaging. We saw it at the Chicago Film Festival and loved it.
April 27, 2013
went to see it and did not expect much but was an incredible movie with excellent acting, great soundtrack and a very surprise ending. highly recommend it.
October 8, 2012
A serious comedy, or a very nicely played family drama with comic episodes, something like that. Addresses the problems of coming out in a reactionary, macho culture, without any heaviness. We enjoyed it. Some of the reviews on IMDB take it all very seriously indeed1
July 7, 2012
Would be a 4/5 but for the last 2 minutes.
June 30, 2012
Sometimes a movie deeply speaks to you in all the most important spots and this movie did this for me. To me, there is so much in this film about relationships, love, life, family, dreams and happiness. This is much more than a gay comedy though it is that too but it is a movie that celebrates the good and the bad all together and shows it all to be worthwhile failures, successes and all. My favourite line, which speaks to the main underlying theme, is "an impossible love never leaves you, it stays with you for life" which is okay as the film will show you. I would highly recommend it but not everyone seems to like it so try it and maybe you'll like it. I loved it.
June 11, 2012
Excelente comedia con toques de tragedia. Me encanta el cine italiano y esta precisamente no te defrauda. Una historia bien contada en la que cada escena, cada detalle es relevante. Te deja muy buenos mensajes, buena para todos aquellos que escarmentan en cabeza ajena. 100% recomendada.
lasttimeisaw
November 8, 2011
Juxtaposing with other Ozpetek's films I have watched (chronically STEAM: THE TURKISH BATH 1997, LAST HAREM 1999, THE IGNORANT FAIRIES 2001, FACING WINDOWS 2003, SATURN IN OPPOSITION 2007), this time Ozpetek is palpably much smoother and more effortless to deal with his gay-oriented hallmark, shunning from all the melancholy and narcissism most homosexual films shamelessly over-exploit.

This film is struggling to overthrow FACING WINDOWS from the crown of my favorite Ozpetek's work (I do need a fresh re-watch of STEAM though). I do not dare to spoil anything here, one prominent astonishment comes at the near end, when the camera fluidly couples with different times, emanates a wonderful visual and spiritual poignancy which exactly one would love to experience from watching a decent film!

The cast may not be perfectly splendid, but every character is worth of some acknowledge for its ensemble undertaking, in particular for Ilaria Occhini (the grandmother in the film), a royal poise exuding from her own dignity, which counter-balances the dramatic banality of the coming-out-of-the-closet plight (namely a shade abominable presence of Ennio Fantastichini). Our leading man Riccardo Scamarcio (from THREE STEPS OVER HEAVEN 2004) may be in lack of a certain gay temperament as the chemistry between him and an irresistibly alluring Nicole Grimaudo is way more tangible here.

The comedy part in the film is somewhat showy but properly amusing; the intermittent interruption of grandma's marriage is adorably empathetic, also I cherish the balmy score (from Pasquale Catalano) and the moot ending which insinuates a positive perspective of the philosophy of our beings.

The blatant snub of 2011 Davide di Donatello awards (only one nomination for BEST MUSIC) is atrociously staggering in my opinion, but it will not stop Ozpetek from coming to be among the most promising virtuoso in the contemporary Italian cinema.
Peter Freeman
May 23, 2011
Leave it to the Italians to showcase family first in their cinema. Better still, leave it to Turkish director Ferzan Özpetek (Facing Windows) to capture a family tree with such varied & vibrant branches in his brilliant comedy Loose Cannons. Make no mistake, this isn't the Brady Bunch: The Cantones are moving into the 21st century, whether they're ready or not.

Who wants to spend two hours with a group of people who get along famously without so much as a cross word between anyone? Give me jealousy, love and secrets... After all, isn't this all about family? Özpetek gives his audience all this and more... a perfect blend of comedy and satire. He tells an assortment of compelling tales, all within 2 hours and gels them together without redundancy. Each character adds their own ingredient to this delicious film.

Riccardo Scamarcio stars as Tommaso, the youngest son of Vincenzo Cantone (Ennio Fantastichini) the patriarch and head of the family pasta business. Tommaso has been living his own life in Rome and is reluctant to return home and join the family business. Vincenzo is decidedly old school and insists on doing things the traditional way. He expects the same from his family and specifically his two sons. Anything else is off-limits and subject to dismissal from the family. Trouble is, Tommaso is about to reveal a secret or two... that sets off a chain reaction of hilarious (and sobering) consequences.

Tommaso reveals those secrets to his brother Antonio (Alessandro Preziosi) who runs the business' day-to-day operations. Tommaso confides that he will reveal these truths to the entire family at dinner. Antonio warns Tommaso that such a public revelation will cause irreparable damage, but younger brother has made his mind up. Loose Cannons kicks into high gear at dinner when Antonio surprises and upstages his brother with his own declaration. The results of this family dinner compel Tommaso to put his plans on hold and stay awhile.

Normally, I'd provide you more information, but you deserve to experience Loose Cannons and all its nuances for yourself. Suffice it to say, you're in for a real treat. Özpetek has an ample assortment of great actors (and characters) and wastes no time in using them all perfectly. Scamarcio is an Italian reincarnation of Tony Curtis with the same haunting eyes that demand your undivided attention. Intense looks aside, Scamarcio's innocence softens his glare and what remains is a man on the cusp of truly finding himself. Tommaso is paired off (literally) with Alba (Nicole Grimaudo) a true loose cannon, but not in the same meaning as the title. Tommaso and the assertive Alba run the business for a while, and start to develop feelings for each other.

Let me say one thing about Grimaudo... She is the perfect woman! Seriously, I'd marry her on the spot without having ever met her in person. If she's half as interesting as the character she plays with such gusto, I'd be twice as happy. From the moment she drives on screen, Grimaudo steals the film (no easy task with such a gifted ensemble.) She takes mundane details such as changing shoes to eye-catching (or in my case, heart-stopping) heights. Her relationship with Tommaso is like a fine Italian dish... each step is taken with care and precision; And while it's obvious they can never be together, you still find yourself holding out hope.

As for the rest of the ensemble, you could hand out multiple awards based on a few moments on screen. Ilaria Occhini is sensational as Tommaso's grandmother who knows a thing or two about secrets. Paola Minaccioni is delightful as the much maligned servant Teresa, and Elena Sofia Ricci is even better as Tommaso's lovelorn aunt who really should wear her eyeglasses more often. The insertion of Gianluca De Marchi and friends gives the film an even further boost with an Italian twist on La Cage aux Folles.

The one thing Loose Cannons doesn't do (not that it has to) is bring much new to the table: Özpetek merely perfects what we've seen here and there in prior films. But as any accomplished cook will tell you, it's the simplest ingredients that make the best meals.
M 4.
January 2, 2011
Completely recommended!
An excellent portrait of the typical Italian family, their prejudice and their obsession to be feign the perfect family!
February 2, 2011
7/10 definitely a feel good factor but im not sure subtitled Italian is effective