Loose Cannons (Mine Vaganti) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Loose Cannons (Mine Vaganti) Reviews

½ September 30, 2012
Lovely views of a southern Italian town, peppered with good food and hearty familial ties make this a charming, enjoyable experience. I really liked the opening & ending sequences with the family matriarch.
½ May 23, 2011
Leave it to the Italians to showcase family first in their cinema. Better still, leave it to Turkish director Ferzan Özpetek (Facing Windows) to capture a family tree with such varied & vibrant branches in his brilliant comedy Loose Cannons. Make no mistake, this isn't the Brady Bunch: The Cantones are moving into the 21st century, whether they're ready or not.

Who wants to spend two hours with a group of people who get along famously without so much as a cross word between anyone? Give me jealousy, love and secrets... After all, isn't this all about family? Özpetek gives his audience all this and more... a perfect blend of comedy and satire. He tells an assortment of compelling tales, all within 2 hours and gels them together without redundancy. Each character adds their own ingredient to this delicious film.

Riccardo Scamarcio stars as Tommaso, the youngest son of Vincenzo Cantone (Ennio Fantastichini) the patriarch and head of the family pasta business. Tommaso has been living his own life in Rome and is reluctant to return home and join the family business. Vincenzo is decidedly old school and insists on doing things the traditional way. He expects the same from his family and specifically his two sons. Anything else is off-limits and subject to dismissal from the family. Trouble is, Tommaso is about to reveal a secret or two... that sets off a chain reaction of hilarious (and sobering) consequences.

Tommaso reveals those secrets to his brother Antonio (Alessandro Preziosi) who runs the business' day-to-day operations. Tommaso confides that he will reveal these truths to the entire family at dinner. Antonio warns Tommaso that such a public revelation will cause irreparable damage, but younger brother has made his mind up. Loose Cannons kicks into high gear at dinner when Antonio surprises and upstages his brother with his own declaration. The results of this family dinner compel Tommaso to put his plans on hold and stay awhile.

Normally, I'd provide you more information, but you deserve to experience Loose Cannons and all its nuances for yourself. Suffice it to say, you're in for a real treat. Özpetek has an ample assortment of great actors (and characters) and wastes no time in using them all perfectly. Scamarcio is an Italian reincarnation of Tony Curtis with the same haunting eyes that demand your undivided attention. Intense looks aside, Scamarcio's innocence softens his glare and what remains is a man on the cusp of truly finding himself. Tommaso is paired off (literally) with Alba (Nicole Grimaudo) a true loose cannon, but not in the same meaning as the title. Tommaso and the assertive Alba run the business for a while, and start to develop feelings for each other.

Let me say one thing about Grimaudo... She is the perfect woman! Seriously, I'd marry her on the spot without having ever met her in person. If she's half as interesting as the character she plays with such gusto, I'd be twice as happy. From the moment she drives on screen, Grimaudo steals the film (no easy task with such a gifted ensemble.) She takes mundane details such as changing shoes to eye-catching (or in my case, heart-stopping) heights. Her relationship with Tommaso is like a fine Italian dish... each step is taken with care and precision; And while it's obvious they can never be together, you still find yourself holding out hope.

As for the rest of the ensemble, you could hand out multiple awards based on a few moments on screen. Ilaria Occhini is sensational as Tommaso's grandmother who knows a thing or two about secrets. Paola Minaccioni is delightful as the much maligned servant Teresa, and Elena Sofia Ricci is even better as Tommaso's lovelorn aunt who really should wear her eyeglasses more often. The insertion of Gianluca De Marchi and friends gives the film an even further boost with an Italian twist on La Cage aux Folles.

The one thing Loose Cannons doesn't do (not that it has to) is bring much new to the table: Özpetek merely perfects what we've seen here and there in prior films. But as any accomplished cook will tell you, it's the simplest ingredients that make the best meals.
½ November 26, 2013
Tommaso is the youngest son of the Cantones, a large, traditional southern Italian family operating a pasta-making business since the 1960s. On a trip home from Rome, where he studies literature and lives with his boyfriend, Tommaso decides to tell his parents the truth about himself. But when he is finally ready to come out in front of the entire family, his older brother Antonio ruins his plans.
½ December 19, 2015
This film got me hooked on contemporary Italian cinema and made me vow to learn the language. It's coming out comedy drama set in an incredibly beautiful part of Italy and the lead characters -especially Riccardo Scamarcio - are captivating. This soundtrack has probably been played in our house more than any other since I first watched the film a few years ago.

Bella X
½ July 23, 2015
Bright, smart and funny.
July 2, 2015
Very thin plot, the humor fell flat and the drama appeared humorous many times, and some of the actors overplayed their parts. Would not recommend this one
September 6, 2014
Amazing!!! One of my favorite movies of all time! I can't stop watching it! What a great story, acting and message. Totally recommended!
August 18, 2014
a mix of fun, romantic, sad moments its a MUST SEE
½ June 21, 2014
Uneven. Left me confused.
March 14, 2014
Absolutely loved this Italian movie!
March 1, 2014
Tommaso é o membro mais jovem de uma extensa família, donos de uma indústria de massas. A família Cantone é formada pela mãe Stefania, uma doce mulher que é sugada pelos hábitos da classe média, o pai Vincenzo, irritado e sempre preocupado com seus descendentes, a excêntrica tia Luciana, a avó rebelde, que ainda chora pelo amor que há muito se foi, a irmã Elena, dona de casa frustrada e o irmão Antônio, que trabalha na fábrica da família. No dia em que a família se reúne para celebrar a promoção que Antônio recebeu na fábrica, Tommaso decide aproveitar a situação para anunciar que é gay.
October 11, 2013
One of the most beautiful movies that I've seen in a long time.
September 16, 2013
Cine italiano: el honor de la familia frente a todo.
½ September 9, 2013
It is not a comedy, a melodrama rather. It's a beautifully filmed movie but slow. Premise is trite and you always expect to be surprised. There is none. It is the stereotype of a foreign movie: Pretty, dull and reveals nothing other than you want to immediately see something good ie., Casablanca, even National Treasure just to wipe out the stale feeling in your mouth.
August 8, 2013
Pretty photos of Italy--with a dumb storyline and empty characters.
July 24, 2013
loved this movie. Complex. Funny. Poignant. the movie info here just scratches the surface of the beginning of the film. Lesson take away: Be true to yourself. Great cinematography. I agree with Rich Cline the critic who says below: "It's bright and smart and ultimately surprisingly moving."
October 14, 2010
Funny and engaging. We saw it at the Chicago Film Festival and loved it.
April 27, 2013
went to see it and did not expect much but was an incredible movie with excellent acting, great soundtrack and a very surprise ending. highly recommend it.
April 5, 2013
posa xanoume ,menontas apokomenoi apo to italiko cinema ths epoxhs mas.