Minyeo-neun goerowo (200 Pounds Beauty) Reviews

March 9, 2008
Why can't they write a real happy ending for a big girl? Obviously being skinny and fake is preferable...
ajaymuthecooldevils
January 3, 2008
well, it's a great movie! a perfect movie to watch. The story was great, it make my eyes wide open to see people not from their physics but their personality. The cast did a very great job, and catchy songs they have in this movie. I'm not surprised this movie becomes hits in Korea. Great movie and great laugh!
August 25, 2008
200 Pounds Beauty is a great movie. This movie is the star vehicle for new actress Ah-jung Kim. She gives a great performance and fits the role perfectly. Even though the plot is simplistic, it is very witty and provides consistent comedy. The movie does not take itself too seriously like a lot of Korean movies. Overall, a feel-good movie that is a definite must watch
March 17, 2013
This movie is fucking weird. I mean, I didn't find it that funny but I accept that the humor just doesn't translate, although movies just like this come out in America all the time and I'm sure I wouldn't have enjoyed the American version either. My real point of contention is with the writing. What was the point of the movie? Didn't everyone watching this go into it assuming that in the end Hanna would somehow regret getting all that plastic surgery and go back to the way she was or something? They sort of attempted to try to make it a bad thing for all of 5 seconds but really her problem wasn't the surgery it was that she lied about her identity. It's true that as Jenny her image was based on being "all natural" but actually when they initially tried to pitch that idea they were turned down. She would have been better off just saying it was all fake. That's what the record executives wanted anyway. Being all natural was a harder sell so she had no reason to lie about who she was. It was simply to move the service the plot because without that there would be no conflict and therefore no movie. You could say she didn't want the guy she liked to know who she was, or you could say she just made a mistake and had to go along with it so she didn't look like a liar but in the end what happened? She stayed skinny. She became famous and successful and she got the guy. I guess the point of the movie could have been not to get plastic surgery for the wrong reasons, or...that like it's motivated people who are successful, and that it takes a motivated person to get off their fat ass and actually go change the way they look if that's what they need to do to be successful, but no one said that explicitly, I'm stretching things pretty far to even try to claim that. Be proud of who you are is a stretch too. Basically the only thing about her that remains is her name. Obviously the film is saying that your physical appearance is very important. So I mean, it is a comedy, maybe the writers thought it was funny to have the ending just be that fat ugly people suck even if they're very talented. I don't know, I don't get it. Plastic surgery has a whole different stigma in Korea. Maybe it's not even controversial anymore. I just felt like this was an unfinished movie. I really think a lot of times when they write movies they just plug in a previously successful cliche, a popular actress, topical social issue, a love story, and a catchy chorus, and no one gives a shit if it's good or not, they just release it to the public. I really do believe that and I'm dying to have anyone on the planet prove to me that that is not exactly how this film was made.
½ December 15, 2009
This isn't a great, or even funny movie. Though it does possess SOME charm, a lot of it gets trampled over by how the main character's weight being exaggerated in such a way.
August 19, 2008
sad.. funny.. about life

i lov this movie also b/c it tells u to be jus who u r and dont change b/c u dont lik urself.. theres bound to be som1 there for u ^^
½ March 29, 2009
I actually really liked this movie. It didn't sound good at first but when I started to watch it I just couldn't stop. I believe that everyone should watch this movie.
½ February 24, 2008
I LOVE Korean rom-coms. This wasn't one of my favorites but it was enjoyable. It gets super sobby at the end but eh, what do you expect?
January 22, 2008
I am a grown man and I have to review it as such - I can't review this a teenage Korean girl, so I won't be giving this 4 or 5 stars. This film is a piece of fluffy puff garbage like such films as 13 Going on 30 that rely on audience stupidity, musical set pieces, and the charm of the main stars to keep their target audience glued... With a film like this, the target audience is clearly young girls.

I may include spoilers - consider them time-savers...

Problems with the film? Well, for starters - she's 200 pounds and yet 3 people can't lift her and she smashes through wood floors. My girlfriend can lift me and I weigh about 200 pounds. I've also never fallen through the floor because I'm so heavy. Another issue I have is that she has all this surgery and comes out looking perfect without a scar - I've watched both seasons of The Swan and in every single case - the women work out daily and no matter how much you work out or have fat sucked out - you will never look like a pencil-thin hottie. Speaking of food - this girl is never shown eating anything - her appetite is barely mentioned.

She also acts like a complete retard when she's fat - so I suppose when you're fat you are also an idiot. When she's skinny, her actions become cute. The moral of the story becomes how she wished she was the ugly fat girl again and everyone loves her even more than before. It's irritating... it's so easy to say you want to be this fat ugly girl when you're skinny and hot I suppose.

I also didn't like the main guy in this - he was a complete prick the entire movie and they don't even end up together anyway. And finally, at about two hours and ten minutes, this film is 45 minutes too long. It's an insipid romantic comedy, not an Ben Hur... and to top it off, they left more holes than swiss cheese... they failed to wrap up half the characters.

The comedy - there was some and it dragged a few chuckles out of me here and there. Not as funny as other asian fat-suit films - there are plenty - but amusing. The music was nice if you like that type of music... k-pop and mostly american pop covers.

This film is a bit of fun, but far too long and you really have to check your brain at the door. Love on a Diet is a much better film and not really comparable aside from a skinny asian girl in a fat suit. This film is more like some really stupid romantic comedy starring Lindsay Lohan Hollywood would shovel at us.

I'm amazed this thing has 4 stars... well, production values are high and I'm sure I'm being too picky about this one... there's a bit of fun to be had here I guess. It's still a bad movie though.
July 4, 2007
the plot may be predictable, and the ending intentionally vague, but this movie is excellently executed by the female lead, who thoroughly deserves her Korean best actress award
November 4, 2007
I'm confused. Did he liked her when she was fat? At the end, was the final message = plastic surgery is okay.
½ September 18, 2007
200 Pounds Beauty is the same old tale of a person who changes their physical appearance to achieve happiness, loses everything near and dear to him/her, then in the end comes to the realization that it's actually what's inside that counts. But this particular re-telling sidesteps cliche by adding a dash of Asian humor and a highly emotional climax-- a trademark of modern Korean film.

Kim Ah-Joong portrays Hanna, an overweight phone sex operator/ghost singer for pop sensation Ammy. Ah-Joong expertly balances her sexiness with innocent awkwardness, making her character all the more endearing. And Sang-Jun (Joo Jin-Mo), the pop star's producer/Hanna's crush, somehow manages to go from insensitive antagonist to sensitive protagonist smoothly.

The plot itself, adapted from a Japanese manga, is nothing new, but its resolution is a fresh twist. After being spoiled by the typical pristine wrap-ups of Hollywood flicks, the ending of 200 Pounds Beauty is not neat and clean as you might expect, lending a true sense of reality to the plot and further exposing Hollywood as a stale formulaic money machine.
½ July 14, 2007
First off, I wouldn't really recommend this to guys. It's pretty emotional, and deals with issues guys rarely grasp.

Now, for girls... it's an emotional story dealing with image-consciousness and self-esteem as something we can relate to. My only complaints are that it drags on a bit, and some parts are fairly predictable. But overall, it's a good romantic comedy you can laugh, cry, and have a 'girl's night in' over.
½ May 20, 2007
So funny! I like the touching story that all us fat girls can learn from! The songs are really addicting too.
½ June 10, 2015
Very very funny and moving ??
½ May 11, 2015
Cheesy Hollywood-style rom-com...too stupid, but it's funny.
½ January 18, 2015
This movie is funny, yet at the same time meaningful and emotional. It's a really good movie. The plot was kind of trite, but the emotions weren't. Touching on the subject of beauty in such an appearance-oriented society, it's about a talented young lady, who in society's eyes wasn't "beautiful" enough. She, although amazingly talented, couldn't be anything more than mediocre because of her looks--an unfair, but horrifyingly real problem people have in a society like South Korea. She's pushed because of the pressure to look beautiful and did a head-to-toe plastic surgery. The audience gets to follow her as the story reveals her conflicted emotions about her change. While the topic is heavy, there were a lot of comedic scenes that kept the movie from being extremely depressing. Those parts really made me laugh and lifted my mood. Whether or not plastic surgery was the way to go, the movie ended up being a beautiful movie.
½ December 29, 2014
This was a good movie that made me laugh and cry. It quickly became one of my favorite Korean Films.
½ February 3, 2012
Country: South Korea
-------------------
At first i thought it was a rip off Shallow Hal or at least it would be a usual cliched romcom, instead i found a real message through a simple and lighthearted plot. Yes, i know it has few silly moments, but we can overlook them as the whole experience of this feel-good movie is worth watching.

Kim Ah Jung-in her first role-fits the role of the cute Hanna and the beautiful Jenny perfectly. yet she did all the songs by herself. yet she did all the songs-performed by Hanna-by herself despite not being a singer.

I like all the songs. my favourite is Maria, which is originally by Blondie. Actually the songs topped the Korean charts at that year.

"200 pounds beauty" was a super hit and won many awards and nominations including best actress and best film, so watch it. it is really a sweet one.