62% The Maze Runner Sep 19

Miracle Mile Reviews

bbcfloridabound
bbcfloridabound

June 1, 2010
I picked this film to watch because of Mykelti Williamson, he was in two episodes of Miami Vice and I now want to watch all his films, In this movie he plays a very funny but short part. His performance is worth 4 stars. The movie itself is about a man who takes a call at a phone booth and is warned of a upcoming nuclear attack on Los Angeles, which will happen in 50 minutes, and in that time he must find his girlfriend and leave town, so starts the boring film, the only highlight is the performance by Mykelti Williamson. This one is worth 2 1/2 stars;
Ross C

January 15, 2007
Dream-like story of a man's attempt to escape from a nuclear missile attack on LA. Plus a Tangerine Dream soundtrack.
John B

January 27, 2012
Space filler at one time on the old Movie Networks. This film has high ambitious and a ridiculously low budget. As a result, everything takes place somewhere else. It can work. What is not seen is often horrific..but it doesn't work here.
Sean G

August 19, 2011
This movie came on in the middle of the night and scared the hell out of me. Partially because it was so deranged and I couldn't figure out what it was and why I had never heard of it.
moviefan1725
moviefan1725

September 30, 2008
What would you do if you knew the world was going to end in a few hours? What would you do if you were the ONLY one who knew it? When Anthony Edwards picks up a ringing payphone late one night, he hears a panicked voice on the other side telling him that the missles are flying. Nuclear war is imminent. The then hears gunshots, followed by another voice that tells him to forget everything he heard, and go back to sleep. Was it real? Was it an elaborate prank? Convinced that it's real, Edwards attempts to reach his girlfriend, and get to safety before the missles hit. Slowly word starts to leak about the missles coming, and panic starts to spread. We follow Edwards on his journey with various characters all reacting to the news in a different way. Some try to escape, some decide to stay where they are, others don't believe it at all. Generally movies regarding nuclear war were told from a military point of view, or are told from an aftermath perspective. The whole movie we are left guessing whether or not the threat is real. We see the breakdown of society as it becomes every man for himself. The cinematography creates a strong sense of isolation as the possible approaching destruction makes everything, even the largest city, seems small as there may be no escape. There is an outstanding score by Tangerine Dream that envelops the movie with an almost dreamlike feel. Ther performances are solid, the characters are colorful, and the tension palpable. A great "what if" movie for an unimaginable situation.
alanjayh
alanjayh

June 6, 2008
very interesting premise..but sooo poorly exectued! This seems like a made-for-tv-movie, and comes across as being amteurish, starting from the cast, the acting and the script...with the right actors and a rewrite of the story, this film would be prime for a remake...disappointed with the film's exectuion of such an excellent concept!
Wu C

September 26, 2006
i remember seeing this when I was younger and being totally into it. Hopefully it aged well.
October 16, 2013
You see a payphone ringing, you answer and someone tells you have one hour until nuclear war breaks out what would you do? Anthony Edwards goes to save the one thing that matters the most to him...his new girlfriend. Miracle Mile was filmed during the waning years of the Cold War. When this was a very real threat, which makes this a unique disaster flick. In that I believe it truly shows how people would react to this type of crisis.

The cast acted very well, each character is sympathetic and believable. From Wilson to Ivan, each character will have you rooting for their success. Steve De Jarnatt did a good job directing; using music and lighting to play off each other splendidly. Dark and brooding during scenes of conflict, yet light and playful during tender moments of happiness. All this helped to capture and inflate the oncoming calamity keeping the tension tight. The only problems I found were small, e.g. why try to find a helicopter when you could carjack someone and head to the airport or finding a helicopter pilot in a gym you just happened to find. These moments twanged on my suspension of disbelief, but didn't detract from the film. The other problem is it does tend to beat around the bush, but I suppose that if we headed straight to the evac it wouldn't be that good of a story.

But I digress, in all I enjoyed every minute of this film right up to the end of the ride. I'd recommend this film for a rental...maybe purchase, but either way you should check it out. May even help out in the case of atomic armageddon...just saying.
terris85017
terris85017

June 19, 2010
(1989 Director: Steve DeJarnatt) Harry (Anthony Edwards) just met Julie (Mare Winningham) & inadvertently misses his "first date" with Julie through a series of unlikely events. Harry returns to the diner whick Julie frequents and picks up a stray phone call from a son intended for his father. The call is made by a young man working in a nuclear bunker and called to warn his father of impending nuclear missiles launch...which slowly starts an impoosible panic!! Stars Anthony Edwards (Hawks, The Client, Northfork & ER's Dr. John Green) and Mare Winnngham (more to follow)
March 15, 2009
Maybe I just wasn't that into this movie, but for me it lacked just about everything.
I like the two main stars, but for me they couldn't even make this "ok".
It was an interesting concept, but so much of it was plain stupid, and most of the acting was bad, and the directing was poor.
December 30, 2007
Oddly affecting - starts out FANTASTIC, the middle is muddled, but the ending hits you like a weird gut-punch. Who knew this 80s film could hit so hard.
July 25, 2007
This is a really intense film. I'm a bit of a sucker for films with apocalyptic overtones, and this one truly delivers. It definitely has a nightmarish quality to it that sticks with you long after it's ended.
kidamadeus
June 1, 2007
One of those great movies that nobody has seen. Adequate acting may sideline the compelling storyline for some, but overall a very worthy movie. Is it really happening or only a hoax? Watch it and find out!
JRTfan
December 23, 2006
A movie that was scary for me as I have lived in that neighborhood and in that era where we were at the mercy of our atomic paranoia.
July 5, 2006
I have to watch this again... I remember really liking it when it when it spent all of three days in the theatre.
August 26, 2014
pointless.
Bad acting.
witster18
January 22, 2007
saturated with early symbolism - "Miracle Mile" has a lot more to say about humanity than it does about disaster. It's a bit hokey, but somehow grabs you with it's momentum and accelerates. The time-line is one of the many things that is deftly handled, and the early morning desolation feels like "After Hours". This movie has no business being as refreshing, exciting, and emotionally effective as it is. Great B movie.
May 11, 2013
Best apocalypse movie ever? Best cinematic send-up of Cold War paranoia ever? Best Twilight Zone movie they never branded as such? The peak of 80s sci-fi visual stylization? Hmm, no foolin'. Might be.
Michael H.
December 22, 2012
Occasional stumbles don't derail this incredibly bleak movie. By sticking with the protagonist throughout we share his experience of the escalating out of control confusion and sometimes bizarre interactions as people move in and out of his immediate sphere of experience. An effective low budget apocalyptic character-thriller.
July 5, 2007
This was a very strange sic-fi picture.