Five Favorite Films with Julian Schnabel

Summary

As an accomplished modern artist, sometime provocateur and acclaimed film director, Julian Schnabel's long and diverse career has taken him from much-lauded exhibitions of his paintings to widespread critical praise -- and several Academy Award nominations -- for his movies. Schnabel's feature-film career began with 1996's Basquiat, a portrait of fellow American painter Jean-Michel Basquiat; his follow-up, 2000's Before Night Falls, garnered star Javier Bardem's first Oscar nomination for his affecting portrayal of exiled Cuban writer Reinaldo Arenas; and his next film, The Diving Bell and the Butterfly, solidified his reputation as a unique stylist, becoming a critical smash and earning the filmmaker a nomination for Best Director from the Academy. This week, Schnabel returns with his latest project, Miral. We sat down with the filmmaker for a chat about his Five Favorite Films. Back to Article

Comments

dethburger

dethburger hates Flixster

Actually, if you haven't listened to the commentary, how do you know WHAT you'll discover? I stand by my statement and you reveal a lack of wisdom by yours.

Mar 24 - 03:59 PM

Brian B.

Brian Barreto

Fantastic list. Also, you can never go wrong with The Godfather & The Godfather Part II. They're two of the greatest films of all-time for a reason, so it's nice to see it get lauded with praise, although this happens all too often, I may say.
I'm also glad to see Raging Bull there. It's my 4th favorite Scorsese film, just behind Taxi Driver, Goodfellas, and The Departed. As for De Niro's performance, I rank it as number two in my all-time favorite performances of his amazing career. My favorite performance of De Niro's career was in Taxi Driver-brilliant, just fucking brilliant.

Mar 24 - 04:12 PM

dethburger

dethburger hates Flixster

What are your thoughts on The King of Comedy.

Mar 24 - 04:50 PM

dethburger

dethburger hates Flixster

What are your thoughts on The King of Comedy.

Mar 24 - 04:50 PM

Daniel Mumby

Daniel Mumby

Disappointingly predictable. Great list of films, but I would have expected Schnabel to choose more outlandish stuff - maybe stuff like Eyes Without A Face or some of Warhol's work

Mar 24 - 05:08 PM

jay b.

jay bow

well put.

Mar 24 - 06:29 PM

DGates

First Last

Actually, search YouTube under "Julian Schnabel 60 Minutes" to see a real asshole in action. He blows a fuse when confronted with criticism. It's hysterical.

Mar 24 - 09:40 PM

dethburger

dethburger hates Flixster

I'll give it a look. If you prove me wrong then I do owe you an apology. Thanks for the link.

Mar 25 - 07:38 AM

dethburger

dethburger hates Flixster

I apologize, I am the asshole here. This guy is in love with the idea of himself. Mike Wallace shouldn't have let him off the hook like he did. I wanted him to reveal himself more 'ala Chris Brown on GMA. Didn't care for his paintings either. Man, but his films have been great though...with the possible exception of his latest. I guess he is crying in a fetal position as we speak. The saying holds true, "Trust the art, not the artist".

Mar 25 - 08:27 AM

Brian B.

brian bunch

I get the feeling this guy is trying to be to cute with direction. I didn't care much for any of his so called classics. The list is nothing newsworthy.

Mar 24 - 10:48 PM

bassbait t.

bassbait the monkey

Again, I feel like people completely miss the mark. No disrespect, but my favorite director is Stanley Kubrick, and there are about a million reasons why he's so far ahead of every director, and yet somehow the only people who like his movies are James Cameron and Nick Cage style people. It's odd. People who seem on the more snobby side always seem to ignore him, but LOVE Coppola. In all honesty, if you break down just the technical aspects of film-making, there is no competition, Kubrick wins. If you consider how iconic a film is, he is pretty high up there. He is highly influential, and his films look and sound amazing. The plots of his films usually left ambiguity, which causes a great divide between fans and non fans, and this controversy makes him a much more memorable director, although the split also causes radical feelings towards him, where some people will just call all of his movies trash, and some people will call all of his movies masterpieces (which they aren't. Watch Fear and Desire and you'll see why). Everything about his films is perfect in the sense that it's how he wanted it.

It just seems like every list of this kind of thing praises a movie that Kubrick did better. If it were my personal list, I would put probably 5 Kubrick movies on it. But if I could only pick one Kubrick movie, I would pick 2001, and non Kubrick movies would be Eraserhead, Primer, Idiocracy, and Terminator 2. But I'm saving a special place in my heart for the Arrested Development movie that has yet to be made! That one will surely be one of my favorite movies ever if it ever gets made.

Mar 24 - 11:17 PM

Ashley B.

Ashley Backhouse

I also find Kubrick to be a talent difficult to match. However, I wouldn't allow the fact that other people differ in their opinions to trouble me, as long as fine movies continue to be made, however rarely.

Mar 25 - 04:20 AM

Ashley B.

Ashley Backhouse

Mar 25 - 04:20 AM

Nine Movies That Bring the Funk

Weekly Binge
Weekly Binge

Watch Arrested Development

SpongeBob's Back!
SpongeBob's Back!

See trailer for his 3D adventure

Photo gallery of great movie spaceships