2008 MTV Movie Awards Winners

Summary

Forget to tune into the 17th annual MTV Movie Awards last night? No problem -- here's a list of the evening's winners, including the coveted Best Summer Movie So Far award! Back to Article

Comments

Sadistik

J. P.

Winning an MTV movie award is akin to being voted valedictorian of your class in a school for the mentally handicapped.

Jun 2 - 05:16 AM

Laramy87

Darryl Laramy

Take it easy... its just for entertainment stakes. The awards are a fun nite for the audience with performances and funny skits... Thats waht this site is about.. Its awards for the popcorn flicks, not critically acclaimed movies

Jun 2 - 05:47 AM

Spiderbash

Tommy Thevenet

Well it was pretty funny. I'm really glad that I saw the Wayne's World Skit.

Jun 2 - 01:06 PM

Laramy87

Darryl Laramy

by site i mean nite

Jun 2 - 05:49 AM

TombstoneLawDog

Daniel Klein

it hit me, last night-

the Oscars and MTV awards are almost perfectly opposite;

You get MAD prestige and increased bankability from winning an academy award, but the award ceremony is about as interesting as an old person's sh#t and takes almost as long (3 hours or more).

On the OTHER hand,

You get NO prestige and NO increased bankability from winning an MTV award but the show is actually fun to watch.

Jun 2 - 06:56 AM

whiskeyriver

Rye O.

These always have been, and always will be, incredibly lame. However, I was flippin' channels and got lucky enough to catch the Wayne's World reunion. Funny skit.

I usually hate sequels and three-quels, but I'd LOVE to see a new Wayne's World film. I think it has the potential to be even more hilarious than the original if they play up the fact that these guys are in their 40s (I know, Dana's in his 50s, but play along) and still hanging out in Wayne's mom's basement and doing a dumb cable access show. It could be extremely pitiful and extremely funny at the same time. Hell, most freaky cable access dudes are in their 40s anyways! Party on, Wayne!

Jun 2 - 07:00 AM

LordVapor

Justin Quarterman

I kinda agree with whiskey...They are remaking everything else more than 10 years old...why not wayne and garth....Can't be worse than Wayne's World 2. Which I still kinda like it, but Wayne's World, it is not.... :)

Jun 2 - 07:28 AM

dahluzz

joe shmo

anyone else buy the mcdonald's promotional copy of wayne's world on vhs like 15 years ago?

Jun 2 - 09:00 AM

OffKeyMelody

Timothy Salisbury

Too bad Ellen Page won best actress...

Was really crossing my fingers for Jessica Biel

Yes....sarcasm

Jun 2 - 09:41 AM

FreakyNipples69

Nicholas DiMucci

I don't want to name drop or toot my own horn.

But I know someone who has won a MTV Movie Award once.

MTV basically picks and asks celebrities if that want to win the award and if they would like to attend the event. There is absolutely nothing special behind it.

Jun 2 - 10:45 AM

arendr

Arend Anton

I believe that for the simple fact that some actors would consider an MTV award beneath them.

And rightly so...

Jun 2 - 11:09 AM

arendr

Arend Anton

And rightly so...

Jun 2 - 11:09 AM

smi1ey

Matt Dunn

I found the show pretty funny and enjoyable. The Tropic Thunder skit was freakin hilarious. And I agree, the Wayne's World reunion was amazing! Those guys looked the same is the original hehe.

Jun 2 - 11:17 AM

minderbinder

anonymous anonymous

Best Movie: Transformers

Right there is evidence that these are a joke and should be completely ignored.

Jun 2 - 11:32 AM

bt1091

Bret Thompson

Sorry to disagree, but I thought Transformers was very entertaining

Jun 2 - 12:10 PM

Elixor

Daniel Klooster

Transformers was more entertaining than I expected and had some entertaining moments. Based on nothing but fun (if that's what the MTV awards are about), I could classify Transformers as a good movie, but the best movie of the year?! I agree that this is a terrible choice. Not because I'm against fun in movies, but because I give Transformers too bad a positive/negative points ratio to be considered a movie of the year candidate (too bad at plot, story, acting, and directing). Besides the eye candy that were the Transformers themselves, the only scene that I found to be awesome was the highway battle with OP.

To counter my own opinion I have heard someone call Transformers their favorite movie ever, which just floors me, but there's obviously some fans of the movie out there.

Jun 2 - 04:17 PM

filmsisgood

ian north

I think that it has been obvious for some time that MTV is the media devil, ethically. I don't think they care if anyone knows either.

Jun 2 - 11:47 AM

nate2709

Nate 2709

If Johnny Depp can win 250 more MTV awards, he'll be able to trade them in for an Oscar.

Jun 2 - 12:09 PM

bt1091

Bret Thompson

Sorry to disagree, but I thought Transformers was very entertaining

Jun 2 - 12:10 PM

ZebraBob

Zebra Bob

missed it but heard about the pot rolling bit with Seth and his Pineapple Express buddy...a bit that MTV wrote and had them do, but the cameras all focused elsewhere during it.
you would think that being a channel you have to pay for to get(and this goes for ALL basic cable channels) that you wouldn't have to abide by the draconian FCC broadcast standards that public broadcast tv stations have to.
Every cable box comes with parental controls, so there's no excuse in letting your oh so precious innocent children of seeing anything that you don't want them to....but that'd be too logical.

Jun 2 - 12:34 PM

Silverevilchao

Silver The Evil Chao

IRON MAN FTW!

Jun 2 - 12:38 PM

Spiderbash

Tommy Thevenet

Well it was pretty funny. I'm really glad that I saw the Wayne's World Skit.

Jun 2 - 01:06 PM

Bloody Mathias

Mathias N/A

And the award for worst category of all time goes to........

*Drumroll*

"Best Summer Movie So Far" By MTV Movie Awards. Congratulations!

MTV Movie Awards couldn't be here today, they're busy on The Hills: The Movie, so accepting on their behalf is Trisha from Real World: Sidney, fortunately she can't give a speech due to genetics so goodnight everybody!

Jun 2 - 02:14 PM

arendr

Arend Anton

I know...it's like saying "Best Month of the Summer so far."

Jun 2 - 02:19 PM

arendr

Arend Anton

I know...it's like saying "Best Month of the Summer so far."

Jun 2 - 02:19 PM

Nine Movies That Bring the Funk

Weekly Binge
Weekly Binge

Watch Arrested Development

SpongeBob's Back!
SpongeBob's Back!

See trailer for his 3D adventure

Photo gallery of great movie spaceships