63% The Maze Runner Sep 19

79% You're the Worst: Season 1

Miss Representation Reviews

Sylvester K

June 4, 2013
Miss representation started off well with a true story, but then it suddenly became political and went straight down hill. Although the film has a nice message, it was biased, manipulative, ignorant and inconsiderate. Just by interviewing people with no real qualifications and throwing clearly biased stats will not make the educated viewers more sympathetic towards the real issue. Why is the film only focusing on Hollywood? There are more than just Hollywood and California in this world please. The film really needed a direction, it wasn't going anywhere and keeps circling around the same themes. The editing was probably the worst part of the film, even a 3 year old can do a better job than the editor of the film. It is informative and all that but trust no liberal films.

April 25, 2012
The doc's exposť of the disgusting state of women in US media is a crucial one that we need to teach our children. Sadly, "Miss Rep" uses the cheapest graphical tricks from the book with overblown effects and childish editing to elicit pathos. In addition, though the message is precious, this particular doc implies that the blame is not in the people or culture, but rather in the elitist media tyrants that, it argues, control them; I don't think the term "Capitalism" was fully understood. And, the liberal bias becomes more and more evident when the only snippets of negative media come almost exclusively from right-wing outlets.

Yes, this doc is quite one-sided, even with the shoehorned, rushed alternate perspectives at the end. There are shots and montages of women being abused with little or no connection to the earlier trends in the media that it mentions; contemporary dangers demonstrated in our nation's youth are touched upon without much cohesiveness in surmising how they came to be. The doc mainly points out a problem rather stoically without much emphasis on the causes, tons of speculation on the effects, and scattered musings on a nonexistent solution.

The power of the media and the discrimination of women prolonged by its misuse is a very relevant topic that should be discussed. "Miss Rep," however, seems to have a casual disregard for science and context; its aim is to elicit emotion rather than discuss, thereby being a means of converting people to feminism, and, evidently, to other causes in its left, conspiracy-ridden mindset rather than concentrating solely on its premise. I'm not sure if that polar extreme is much desirable.
January 3, 2014
An enlightening documentary, showing us absolutely nothing new: the same images we are constantly presented with in media are prominent in this film. Yet, by calling attention to the ads, TV characters, and other popular media mainstays, one gets the sense that there is something fundamentally wrong with the way women are being represented and that this causes problems in real women's lives.
August 21, 2013
My distaste for "Miss Representation" has nothing to do with anti-feminist thoughts or even my disagreeing with some of the points made in this film; rather, I feel that this is a documentary with a good message that is presented in the wrong way to draw in its target audience. The target audience of this film are mothers and daughters and I wish that I could encourage all parents to watch this film, but the lack of censorship would prevent me from recommending this to a lot of adults that I know. I think that most parents need to reconsider the types of things that their children are exposed to through television and the internet but this film isn't clean enough to reach all of those parents. This film could also be very empowering to young girls but then it shows the images that the documentary is encouraging parents to shelter their children from seeing. It seems that the creators of this documentary would want parents to share this message with their children but a "good parent" (by the film's definition) shouldn't encourage their children to watch a film with a 40-second montage of news headlines about children being raped. I agree with many of the points made in this film but the lack of censorship makes it seem like feminist propaganda. I also felt my attention waning as the film progressed. Many of the statistics stated in this documentary are interesting and convincing, but the format of a short interview clip followed by several written statistics on the screen grows tiresome after a while. Good thought, poor execution, misplaced logic.
February 28, 2012
Less pretentious than informative, Miss Representation is an honest look at women in all forms of media through the eyes of Jennifer Siebel Newsom. As an actress on television shows such as Mad Men and Numb3rs, as well as a multitude of film and stage appearances, Newsom is no stranger to the image of women as portrayed by major outlets and multiple mediums. Miss Representation examines the stereotypes of beauty and success and inspires women of all ages to cast them aside and love themselves for who they really are. But what is most impressive about Newsom's directorial debut is that it uses a lighter feminist touch, opting to involve a variety of male perspectives to assist in the ultimate goal of making women's lives better through media reform.
July 31, 2014
The most eye opening documentary I've ever seen. Worth all the time in the world, and a must see for everybody. Could not recommend it more highly.
July 4, 2014
Great, everyone should watch this. Should be screened in high schools, colleges, and universities everywhere.
January 8, 2014
Important film for everyone to see. I purchased several copies to share with others.
December 28, 2013
This is streaming on Netflix so you don't have an excuse to miss this movie. It is the most accessible movie on the subject of women's portrayal in the media to date. Media literacy is incredibly important.
October 13, 2013
Big fan of muckraking, but most of the women in this doc. have made a lot of money off their looks and now they want to turn around and say "respect my brain." Bonus insult, Katie Couric extolling the sisterhood -- wasn't she the one who asked Sarah Palin what magazines (if any) did she read.
September 3, 2013
An extremely important feminist response to modern media and women in power. Truly eye-opening.
September 2, 2013
This is a must see for teenage girls from age 12 to 18. It is so relevant to understanding the impact of the over sexualization of girls and women in the media. Moms, watch with your daughters!
Sylvester K

June 4, 2013
October 20, 2012
Absolutely riveting and illuminating. Everyone should see this movie!
March 4, 2012
This documentary is so powerful. It's great to see women in positions of influence contributing to this fascinating piece, and while the statistics made me uncomfortable (we have an incredible amount of work to do in this country to combat media portrayals of women), these stories aren't talked about enough.
June 10, 2012
Everyone needs to see this film! I was deeply moved, inspired, enraged and brought to tears throughout those 85 minutes.
May 17, 2012
Miss representation is probably one of the best documentaries I've seen in the last couple of months. It's how media portrait women and how affects our future generations. I't s a very good documentary that I feel a lot of women need to experience

April 25, 2012

March 22, 2012
This does not have a "light feminist touch" like one reviewer said. It is a film with an entirely feminist perspective AND it is accessible to a mainstream audience. Imagine that...
March 7, 2012
For the most part, a very informative and well-assembled documentary.