Miss Representation Reviews

May 22, 2015
Important, powerful documentary.
March 22, 2015
Was a great view on how woman are judged and exploited in society. All pre teen and teens need to watch this
½ January 23, 2015
Actress turned filmmaker, Jessica Congdon, takes a hard look at the underwhelming representation of women in the media in America. Featuring interviews with noted female figures in politics, the media and business she explores the still evident glass ceiling and the double standards women face in terms of their looks and persona.
The subject is close to the director's heart, inspired by learning that the child she is carrying is female, but as a documentary this fell a little short for me. The screen is constantly bombarded with facts and figures and Congdon spends a great deal of time illustrating the issue, but hardly any coming up with solutions to the problem.
A very worthy film that would do well to be shown in schools, but I learned nothing new here.
July 31, 2014
The most eye opening documentary I've ever seen. Worth all the time in the world, and a must see for everybody. Could not recommend it more highly.
July 4, 2014
Great, everyone should watch this. Should be screened in high schools, colleges, and universities everywhere.
May 24, 2014
the various facets to our culture that have created the climate of inequality are amazing, even though we've come long way, baby. excellent credible speakers, men and women, explain how we got where we are, and how we can challenge the status quo. "hallelujah sister, whatever gets you through!"
½ March 16, 2014
This documentary examines the insidious ways in which the media holds women back when it misrepresents them, often in limited and disparaging ways, so that the collective message that young women and men overwhelmingly receive from the media is that a woman's value and power lie in her youth, beauty, and sexuality, rather than in her other attributes such as her capacity as a leader.

This has perpetuated a sort of institutionalized misogyny: one that has made it incredibly difficult for women to achieve leadership positions and for the average female person to feel powerful herself. Sadly even empowered women are often scrutinized through a lens that places value on their physical appearance and these women often face a backlash from society.

It is interesting to note that the media's cultural war against women could at least in part be attributed to Reagan era deregulation of the media industry. Until the media industry can persuade us to value women for more than their sexuality, the road to gender equality might not be very fruitful.
January 8, 2014
Important film for everyone to see. I purchased several copies to share with others.
January 3, 2014
An enlightening documentary, showing us absolutely nothing new: the same images we are constantly presented with in media are prominent in this film. Yet, by calling attention to the ads, TV characters, and other popular media mainstays, one gets the sense that there is something fundamentally wrong with the way women are being represented and that this causes problems in real women's lives.
December 28, 2013
This is streaming on Netflix so you don't have an excuse to miss this movie. It is the most accessible movie on the subject of women's portrayal in the media to date. Media literacy is incredibly important.
½ November 28, 2013
A documentary about the biased image of women in the US media. Not the best made documentary ever, far from neutral and objective, then again these rarely are. Might help raise some conversation about the issue but unfortunately people who watch opinionated documentaries usually are already interested in the topic and those who really should watch them don't..

So all you 18-34y white heterosexual males (hey, that's me!) watch it (ignoring the weaknesses) and try to make even a little difference.
October 25, 2013
Although it makes its point within the first half hour, it is very powerful viewing, especially for young people learning about media literacy and the gross misrepresentation of women in the media.
½ October 13, 2013
Big fan of muckraking, but most of the women in this doc. have made a lot of money off their looks and now they want to turn around and say "respect my brain." Bonus insult, Katie Couric extolling the sisterhood -- wasn't she the one who asked Sarah Palin what magazines (if any) did she read.
½ September 3, 2013
An extremely important feminist response to modern media and women in power. Truly eye-opening.
September 2, 2013
This is a must see for teenage girls from age 12 to 18. It is so relevant to understanding the impact of the over sexualization of girls and women in the media. Moms, watch with your daughters!
½ August 25, 2013
I think everybody should watch this documentary. Although it is obviously very one sided it has alot of valid points and makes you think, seriously stop and think about how woman are portrayed in the media and the lack of serious female rolemodels their are out there.
½ August 21, 2013
My distaste for "Miss Representation" has nothing to do with anti-feminist thoughts or even my disagreeing with some of the points made in this film; rather, I feel that this is a documentary with a good message that is presented in the wrong way to draw in its target audience. The target audience of this film are mothers and daughters and I wish that I could encourage all parents to watch this film, but the lack of censorship would prevent me from recommending this to a lot of adults that I know. I think that most parents need to reconsider the types of things that their children are exposed to through television and the internet but this film isn't clean enough to reach all of those parents. This film could also be very empowering to young girls but then it shows the images that the documentary is encouraging parents to shelter their children from seeing. It seems that the creators of this documentary would want parents to share this message with their children but a "good parent" (by the film's definition) shouldn't encourage their children to watch a film with a 40-second montage of news headlines about children being raped. I agree with many of the points made in this film but the lack of censorship makes it seem like feminist propaganda. I also felt my attention waning as the film progressed. Many of the statistics stated in this documentary are interesting and convincing, but the format of a short interview clip followed by several written statistics on the screen grows tiresome after a while. Good thought, poor execution, misplaced logic.
½ June 4, 2013
Miss representation started off well with a true story, but then it suddenly became political and went straight down hill. Although the film has a nice message, it was biased, manipulative, ignorant and inconsiderate. Just by interviewing people with no real qualifications and throwing clearly biased stats will not make the educated viewers more sympathetic towards the real issue. Why is the film only focusing on Hollywood? There are more than just Hollywood and California in this world please. The film really needed a direction, it wasn't going anywhere and keeps circling around the same themes. The editing was probably the worst part of the film, even a 3 year old can do a better job than the editor of the film. It is informative and all that but trust no liberal films.
½ April 28, 2013
While the interviews are extremely valuable, and the some of the stories highlighting girls' lives are great, I found the format of this documentary mediocre at best and was too distracted by that overall. Also, perhaps its just since its from 2011, and also because I was already interested in this topic, but there were too many occasions where I felt like I was being told things I already knew. If they could recut this to just celebrity and teen girl interviews, I think I would have liked it a lot more.
½ October 20, 2012
Absolutely riveting and illuminating. Everyone should see this movie!