19% Transcendence Apr 18

—— Unforgettable: Season 3

Mission: Impossible III Reviews

Sam B

May 17, 2013
It isn't as amazing to look at as its direct successor, but J.J. Abrams' first feature film as director is still a lot of fun. It's surprisingly funny, it makes you care about its characters, and its action is super slick.
LWOODS04
LWOODS04

April 26, 2009
"Really liked this one. Probably my favorite out of all of them. I loved the cast. A lot of talent in this one. The story was really good too. The action was awesome. Although I saw the twist coming, it was still nicely done. These movies never have a dull moment and when I have a stressful day, this is the type of movie I wanna watch. I wanna see non-stop action and see shit get blown up. I have never been a huge Tom Cruise fan, but I really enjoy him in these movies. I think action is where he shines the most. Definitely my favorite so far."
thmtsang
thmtsang

July 21, 2007
Not as good as the first movie but better than the second movie. Ethan (Cruise) has to go to Shanghai to rescue his wife from a criminal involved in deadly bio weapons.
3niR
3niR

June 6, 2010
Question: In MI 2, Ethan Hunt almost killed himself for a girl and here he does that again for another girl?
I wouldn't say this was awesome but it wasn't boring either.
CloudStrife84
CloudStrife84

July 10, 2007
Lighting the fuse for the third time, we have once again become guests in a world where masked identities and high-tech gadgetry is just business as usual. Briskly paced and stuffed with suspense, the two-hour running time is anything but conspicious. At least in comparison to the inferior "MI2", which often prompted a few looks at the clock. This time around, the cast has received a nice upgrade as well, with the versatile Philip Seymour Hoffman as a malicious and very believable villain. Other additions include the sleek and sexy Maggie Q, a well-performing Laurence Fishburne and the very humorous Simon Pegg. All of whom does spot-on work with their roles, together with established veterans Tom Cruise and Ving Rhames. A lot of compliments can be given to the action as well, where the explosions and gunfire comes in rich and generous supply. It also boasts an advantageous increase in charm and sentiment; so if you're the type of person who enjoys a little humor with the thrills (as well as some tender romantic moments), you won't be left unsatisfied. For some reason though, I only gave this a 3 out of 5 rating when I first saw it back in 2006. Maybe I was having a bad day or something, because on this second viewing, I thought it was just as great as the original. A smart, ambitious and expertly directed crowd-pleaser, that certainly merits its reputation as above-average escapist fare.
Phil H

September 30, 2007
This is getting better, again the action is very very good, the film looks good and its become a little more adult or serious as time has passed, almost a 'Die Hard' style flick but not a 'Die Hard' beater. Again Mr Cruise likes himself too much with plenty of close ups and himself generally being ultra slick n cool but the other cast members make up for it. Hoffman being a very close Alan Rickman beater as the evil villain and Pegg fitting in quite well with some good comic relief which was surprising actually, luckily his humour isn't too much.

Basically the adult edge is a winner but its still nothing too special and nothing we haven't seen before in many other spy films (I'm trying not to mention [i]Bond[/i] again) but its good to see the team aspect back in and 'Hunt' (Cruise) not being the main focus (even though he is really). One issue that I don't like about all these M.I. films is the fact that 'Mr Hunt' seems virtually impervious to any kind of damage from anything haha I realise the films are non realistic spy fluff but there does come a point where you gotta think certain things would kill the guy.

Surprisingly good film from Mr Abrams and also surprising Mr Cruise didn't continue with another ego creaming bonanza this time, well not too much, he must of got the message from number two. Yes Mr Cruise...your face isn't a religious icon for the world, get over yourself.
Albert K

September 18, 2010
The best of the 3 Mission: Impossible's (I loved the first, despised the second). Enough action, tension, and heart to make this an incredibly engaging popcorn flick.
Kase V

January 3, 2012
J.J. Abrams' 'Mission Impossible III' is a step in the right direction for the franchise. The acting is great, the effects are vivid, and the thrills aren't cheap. The director seems to have injected new life into the franchise, mainly with the help of a great plot and interesting characters to carry out the script.
sanjurosamurai
sanjurosamurai

January 11, 2007
with all 4 films in view, this is the best of the series for me. great pacing and editing, a compelling story, and worthwhile characters. it had its cliche moments, but overall was very engaging.
KJ P

January 13, 2010
Now this is what I'm talking about! Finally, a Mission to call great! Mission Impossible 3 is the most recent instalment in it's franchise, and after seeing that they can make such an amazing movie after lacking so much story in the first two films, is brilliant. It is hard to say this about films these days, but I guess in this case, third time is a charm. With stunning visuals, a heart-pumping plot and story, characters that we actually care about, and a final act that will literally stop your heart, this film stands out as the best in the series so far. Ethan Hunt is back and better than ever, and the villain is portrayed with excellence by Phillip Seymour Hoffman. Well done Abrams, well done!
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

August 29, 2011
I never really was a big Mission Impossible fan. I liked the films, but I never got the big deal as to why they were seen as classics. I've seen them all, and I have to say that of the three MI films, that this is the most solid, most entertaining film of the three. What separates this film from the first two is the effective performance of Philip Seymour Hoffman as the films villain, Owen Davian. I thought his performance alone made this film worth watching, and it added a lot more thrills to the overall pace of the film. The performances here are good as well, and I thought the story was the most effective and engaging of the three films. The film is action packed and should appeal to fans of the first two films. This is a good film with lots going for it, and I thought it was always thrilling and exciting. After the weaker second film, the filmmakers were able to get faster fuel in the tank, and create this high octane actioner that is one intense ride. As a person who never really got into the films, I liked them yes, but they're not my favorite action films; I thought this was a terrific, action packed third entry that delivered something memorable to the screen. This is the best film in the Mission Impossible series hands down, and if you felt that the second part was slightly weak, then this film might change your mind. The film delivered non stop thrills and was a well made action film. Director J.J Abrams has made a solid action picture and the result is a fun cinematic experience.
Matt G

January 22, 2011
A truly magnificent sequel to the first two 'Mission Impossible' films. Not only is the third the best in the series, it is definitely the best film for the year it was released and is extremely well made. Tom Cruise is one of y favorite actors and will always remain that due to his ability to make a film instantly likable just with his presence (Tropic Thunder, Knight and Day, etc.), as well as being a great action movie star, and he continues to show off his talent by not only giving a great performance as Ethan Hunt, but by doing [most of] his own stunts. This is a great sequel that is truly magnificent.
Eric A

August 5, 2011
Tom Cruise is good once again. I really liked what they did with the facial masks, pretty cool. J.J. Abrams proves why he's got loads of talent.
DreamExtractor
DreamExtractor

March 26, 2011
By far the best in the series. Mission Impossible 3 was a genius action spy movie that is truly one of a kind. JJ Abrhams has only directed 3 movies and he is already one of my favorite Directors, because he knows that this series could be taken to the next level, and it was. The plot was genius and it really takes twists and turns, and at the end we we realized we watched an amazing film. Tom Cruise is one of my least favorite actors, but its not his acting, because of him just being a weird guy in real life, but even i have to admit this is one of his best performances I have ever seen him do and I want to see what he does in the fourth film. Other acting performances like Phillip Seymour Hoffman and Michelle Monaghan were great too. The action is by far the best in the film, as Abrhams has shown us in his later films that he truly is great with effects and he takes action to new heights. The movie is never boring, there is always something cool or interesting going on, even the start of the movie starts us off with a eye opening scene. My only problem was probabaly that Michele Monoghans acting was great, but I found it weird where she started fighting nere the end, but other than that it was a tremendous film and I highly recommend it.
Conner R

December 3, 2009
Truly the sequel to the first Mission: Impossible and a great one at that. It manages to take ques set up from the initial storyline and take them to new places. Right from the beginning you are brought into this extremely intense spy thriller that never lets its guard down. This takes the character of Ethan Hunt and makes him more vulnerable than ever before; by giving him something to lose. J.J. Abrams has taken this series back to its roots and makes it a lot more realistic than its action-oriented sequel.

This picks up with Ethan Hunt finally being able to have somewhat of a normal life. Then he is quickly plunged into a cat and mouse game that leaves him fighting harder than ever before. He becomes less of a spy and more of a blockade by the end, due to the fact that his will to protect his wife from harm is unbelievable. When pitted against the criminal mastermind Phillip Seymour Hoffman, he is constantly tested and thrown into "impossible" situations. Tom Cruise continues to play this character in such a perfect and memorable way, it's hard to see why it's not more recognized.

J.J. Abrams directs action in one of the best ways possible. It looks unbelievably realistic, but he's almost able to get away with more than most due to his free-flowing camera techniques and fluorescent color palette. There is so much time put into the characters and story that these unreal moments appear to be completely warranted. Not many people could get away with scenes like a self-shocking or grenade launcher bridge sequence, but this does with ease.

I think most people would agree that this is just a ridiculously cool movie that brings the best parts of the first two movies together into one extravaganza. This is certainly more of a spy thriller and in the same vein as the first, but manages to bring more action to the table than you might expect. It's one beautiful looking movie that is just as fun as anything close to it in the genre.
Shawn E

March 14, 2011
Mission Impossible 3 is the fast and exciting film action fans love. The stunts and effects are very well done and although the plot may seem a little unoriginal it still provides exiting twists that will keep you on your toes.
Jens S

June 12, 2006
I pity people who dislike this just for being a Tom Cruise movie. How they miss out. Director J.J. Abrams took all the best aspects of his excellent Alias show and the original M:I series blew them up for the big screen. He did all the things right that John Woo messed up in the second part. The movie has no less than five really exciting action sequences (especially "the Vatican" and "the bridge" are awesome fun). It isn't always logical or realistic but keeps you on the edge of your seat with its very emotional and exciting, very fast pace. Definitely the highlight of the series and one of the best action movies of the last few years.
Emile T

February 5, 2007
You gotta admit that it's Action with a capital A !
Drew S

January 20, 2007
A wholly entertaining action movie, but who here is really afraid of Philip Seymour Hoffman? Dude looks more like he'd bake you some cookies before he'd threaten to kill your wife. I think my biggest disappointment with this movie is how far it moved the series away from actual espionage and into the "a lot of shit is exploding" category. Granted, I haven't seen the second film, and the first one wasn't 100% subtle either, but it was at least a bit more subdued. What sets this apart from God-awful pyrotechnic abortions like Transformers is that it manages to do its fiery business without insulting your intelligence. J.J. Abrams plays with the plot in some neat ways, like keeping the exposition lean to focus on the good stuff. When it comes right down to it, we really didn't need to know what the Rabbit's Foot did exactly...we could fill it in with our imaginations, and that granted Abrams five more minutes to put together one of his nifty set pieces. Some probably consider it lazy writing; I call it progressive.

Strong performances and film-making all around. Good, but just not unique.