Mission: Impossible Ghost Protocol Reviews

December 27, 2011
When it comes to the MI franchise, the only entry that ever really floured me was the first one. The sequels, while boasting great action sequences, never really manage to stick with me as much as the first. This fourth entry continues that trend, which isn't to say it's bad. In fact, this movie should be seen because the action sequences are indeed mind-blowing. However, on a story and character level it just left me a bit cold.

One big positive about this movie is that it continues the trend set by the third entry by making the story more of an "Impossible Mission Force" ensemble piece (more in keeping with the original television show of the same name) than a Tom Cruise vehicle. And admittedly the film is never pretentious about what it is and what it sets out to do. Director Brad Bird does a very competent job of keeping the story efficiently paced and the movies stunts are stunningly shot.

So overall, the movie does succeed on the level of being a pure action film (although admittedly the parking garage fight between Hunt and the villain got a little too silly for my taste), so why do I still find this entry forgettable the moment I left the theater?

On a plot level, it's mostly just an excuse to go places, and the villain is extremely one-dimensional and barely appears in the film. I know this sounds nitpicky (and it probably is) but MI 3 managed to have a decent villain. The lack of a compelling villain really robs the story of dramatic weight at times. Not only that, but Jeremy Renner's character felt EXTREMELY pointless and his whole arc (involving a "secret") felt so superfluous and not worthy of the mysterious build-up it was given.

Acting wise, the only person that stands out is Simon Pegg. The acting from everybody else ranges from okay to just generic. Tom Cruise feels like he is literally sleep-walking through his scenes, which is a shame.

So once again, much like the past two movies, they succeed on delivering some nice action but didn't make much of an impact to me in any other regard.
½ December 26, 2011
Brad Bird delivers with this exciting installment in the Mission Impossible franchise, a wholly complete action film with a great script, gripping set pieces, an engaging pace, and a breathtaking sequence outside the world's tallest building.
garyX
½ December 14, 2011
The IMF are framed for an explosion in the Kremlin and the entire organisation is disavowed, leaving Ethan Hunt and his team alone to expose a fanatic bent on nuclear Armageddon as the true culprit. I've never been the biggest fan of the Mission: Impossible franchise as a whole; the first was okay at the time but looked very dated in the wake of Jason Bourne's re-energisation of the action thriller, the second was typical of John Woo's daft excesses and the third took itself way too seriously to be fun. Ghost Protocol however manages to get the balance just right; the character dynamic works much better than in the previous films, with Simon Pegg's tech geek providing plenty of amusing banter without becoming a comic stooge and there is some quite spectacular stunt work. The plot is once again little more than a series of well engineered heists, but the characters are likeable, the pacing breathless and tense and it all slots together like a quality modern day James Bond film. A pleasant surprise.
MANUGINO
April 16, 2011
No Plan. No Backup. No Choice.

Saw it again! Great Film! Very different yet similar from the other past films. Enjoyed it very much! Keep em coming!!!

In the 4th installment of the Mission Impossible series, Ethan Hunt and his team are racing against time to track down a dangerous terrorist named Hendricks, who has gained access to Russian nuclear launch codes and is planning a strike on the United States. An attempt by the team to stop him at the Kremlin ends in a disaster, with an explosion causing severe destruction to the Kremlin and the IMF being implicated in the bombing, forcing the President to invoke Ghost Protocol, under which the IMF is disavowed, and will be offered no help or backup in any form. Undaunted, Ethan and his team chase Hendricks to Dubai, and from there to Mumbai, but several spectacular action sequences later, they might still be too late to stop a disaster.
December 14, 2011
I will not bother in a full review for this "film", I shall only said: Disappointing due to hollow screenplay, incomplete IMAX and primitive plot.
LWOODS04
January 17, 2013
"This happens to be my first Mission Impossible movie. I'm not even sure how many there are of these films. But I can honestly say that this one was good. I'm not a huge fan of Tom Cruise. I know, shocking. But I saw that there were a few other actors in this that I liked, like Simon Pegg. So I thought it wouldn't be to bad to give it a go. In the end I actually enjoyed it. I loved all the action and the humor. The stunts were pretty impressive. So after watching this, I am considering seeing the other films before it. Hopefully there as good a this one."
October 19, 2012
Mission Impossible is back to what it was always supposed to be. A team. I'm glad Cruise et al came to this realisation eventually, the film is certainly better because of it. I have to say I really liked Ghost Protocol, much more than the other 3 films for sure. It has just the right level of humour and drama, the action is clever without being silly and it left me wanting more so long may the franchise continue - something I didn't think I'd be saying. The Ving Rhames cameo was a bit rubbish though eh!
½ October 7, 2012
Fun and action packed. Everyting a Mission Impossible film should be, although Cruise may be reaching the end of the line for credible action star status.
thmtsang
December 13, 2011
Good plot. Ethan (Cruise) is broken out of jail and has to stop the Russians sending a missile attack on USA. Obviously big budgets involved as they globe trotted through different countries. For once only the bad guys die, so you know there will be another movie in the pipeline.
½ November 1, 2010
A decent entry in the series, not quite as good as the 3rd in my opinion, but quite close. It would have been nice to see a bit more of some of the previous cast members than brief cameos. The main plot and story isn't quite as absurd as some of the previous films, and how they go about the Mission. Which is a good thing I think. If you liked the others you'll like this to.
cosmo313
½ April 6, 2011
*cue the epic, instantly recognizable theme*

This is the fourth entry in the Mission: Impossible series, and not only is it the first entry to have a subtitle (Ghost Protocol), but it is also the live action directorial debut of legendary animated film auteur Brad Bird.

And I'm happy to report that it is a pretty good movie, and Bird did a good job dealing with physical sets, locations, and people.

The plot here is the typical spy scenario: the Kremlin gets attacked, IMF gets blamed, and "Ghost Protocol" gets initiated, which is to say that the whole IMF gets disavowed, and Ethan Hunt and his team are forced to complete their mission off the grid with very little back up, and only whatever gear and gadgets they can scrounge from a secret boxcar.

That mission, to be brief, is to recover some nuclear launch codes, prevent WWIII, and nab those responsible for setting Ethan and his team up. Okay, so the plots to these movies are all kinda the same, and usually function as window dressing for action scenes, stunts, and eye candy.

The writing is kinda weak with this one, and there's really not a whole lot of development. There's some, but just enough to get by. The plot is fairly straightforward, but not the most interesting thing in the world. There's also a bit too much focus on zany high tech gadgets, and not as much emphasis on stealth and espionage. This is a very fun and enjoyable film however, and it doesn't drag during its 130 minute run time. It could have slowed down some though, and given some more attention to plot and characters, but it at least didn't come off as overplotted like the last one.

Of course Cruise is good here. This has become his signature role (or one of them), and his world weariness lends some credibility to his being the experienced veteran amongst a team of less experienced, but still talented agents. Simon Pegg is back for his second turn as technician turned field agent Benji, and he's wonderful as the comic relief. Paula Patton adds a nice balance of sex appeal and toughness as the female agent with a score to settle (but not against her male counterparts, whom she easily holds her own against), and Jeremy Renner, the fast rising action badass is great as the agent with his own little secrets, though thankfully the revelations with his character don't go in the direction that the trailers lead you to believe he will. What I mean by that, is that the film isn't a "mole hunt" as many of these types of movies are. We also get some good cameos too, although in the case of one I was seriously hoping for a larger role.

Actionwise, it's pretty good. I mentioned there's a big focus on gadgetry, but there's some good fisticuffs and some gunplay too. And the sequence with Cruise playing Spiderman in Dubai on the side of that super tall hotel in Dubai? It's awesome, one of the best parts of the movie, and even has the best moment of humor in the film too, and there's a fair amount of laughs too, which is actually kinda welcome. The sequence isn't nearly as great, suspenseful, or thrilling as the Langley vault scene from the first film, but that one was in a class of its own. This one is very well done though. Things do start to get a little ridiculous towards the end, but nothing quite as over the top as what's in the second one.

All in all, a pretty good movie. Bird does okay for his first time with live action, but it feels like he's still a little shaky. Maybe he needs another film or two to get the kinks out, but I could see him becoming great as a director of both animation and live action. As for how this fits into the series, well, I'd put it on par with part 3, so better than two, but not quite to the level of the first.
½ August 4, 2012
Ghost Protocol : when Mission Impossible go from relatively real-life espionage to the totally ridiculous, I think it would be much more entertaining if it was more realistic.
3niR
June 28, 2012
The Best.
½ June 17, 2012
A fourth instalment in a patchy series comes out and makes itself the best. Ethan Hunt is back on the case, ready to take part in another mission, that involves nuclear weapons and Russians. What's most important here are the action sequences. Unlike the recent fad of shaky cam and confusing action, Paramount with with Brad Bird to direct, only previously familiar with animation films. This is what makes him so successful, you wouldn't be doing shaky cam with animation. Instead, Bird cares about framing and being able to focus on every individual action. The scenes are clear and oh so memorable. Whether it's a humorous prison escape scene or a foot chase through a sandstorm. The best part being the climbing of the tallest building in the world. It really does rack up the tension, and continues to introduce complications that must be overcome by a team. Although still the point man, Cruise shares a lot of the great action with his co-stars. Peggis the obvious comic relief, but he isn't unimaginable as a field agent. Patton and Renner are both given emotional hooks to give them something to do and focus on between the action. I was also very happy that the film knows it's a fun spy movie at heart, so we do get outrageous gadgets, the kind that used to make Bond movies fun. Exciting, fun, with enough character moments for the downtime, this is a wonderful action movie.
½ July 12, 2011
Wow, my bloodstream was completely out of whack after this movie!! Cortisol and adrenaline levels aren't meant to spike that high for 2 hours! The pacing for this movie was just incredible, I was never bored although sometimes I had no idea how the plot was developing. Someone forgot to tell Brad Bird that cars and flying people can't do that in real life!! Just spectacular.

**** Spoiler Alert ****
Other notable mentions: featuring the most heart-stopping scene to take place on the glass of that damn Dubai building, the fastest Tom Cruise has ever whipped his belt, the most complicated way to sneak down a hallway ever, and the most gratuitous tumbling scene in a car garage. I was geeking out pretty hard to the tech in this film.
FiLmCrAzY
July 2, 2011
I think this is by far my favourite MI movie i really enjoyed the third one but they came back with a fourth installment and triumphed and succeeded !
Its still action packed and highly amusing Simon Pegg was a good cast choice he does bring the biritsh humour to it and makes it more enjoyable, then you have Paula Patton for the beauty and Cruise and Renner as eye candy and great action stunts!
I loved the part of Cruise saving the world and saying 'Mission Acomplished' << Rhames saying thats so corny man! Brilliant, superb writing, so funny!
A very enjoyable movie, worthy of being Mission Impossibles next sequel!
May 30, 2012
Just plain awesome action flick.
Tired of Previews
December 23, 2011
Directed by Brad Bird, Paramount Pictures, 2011

Starring: Tom Cruise, Jeremy Renner, Paula Patton, Tom Wilkinson and Simon Pegg.

Genre: Action, Adventure, Thriller

Question: Anyone sick and tired of sequels? Yeah, me too. However, I just saw Mission Impossible - Ghost Protocol and may have to eat my words about this particular sequel. This one was pretty good!

I must confess I was actually planning on viewing this movie for one reason and one reason only - Simon Pegg. Yes, you heard that right. Although Tom Cruise makes pretty decent movies I really went to see Ghost Protocol for one of the supporting actors. This is the honest truth. Sure he was in Mission: Impossible 3 but not enough, I say, so I didn't think he would be in the next installment.

Indulge me for a moment....About six months ago I saw a preview for this one. Well, that's not true. I "heard" the preview as I was sitting in the theatre shielding my eyes as I normally do during previews. Immediately I thought I would skip the film until I heard Simon Pegg's voice and quickly looked at the screen. YAY! There is just something about him that cracks me up and pulls me to see everything he is in. It started with Shaun of the Dead (and I don't even like Zombie movies) and I never looked back. In fact, Simon Pegg was one of the first people I started following on Twitter; and even when I was sick of Twitter awhile back I couldn't cancel my account because his tweets give me the giggles....okay, enough...I will talk about the movie.

Mission Impossible - Ghost Protocol was a thrill ride from beginning to end. I am not kidding. So for you adreline junkies out there - go to the theatre now. You don't even need to finish reading this review....really, go, go now...Oh wait, see it in IMAX. This is the type of film that requires the biggest and best screening available. There is one part that even made me a little queasy due to a certain death-defying act performed by Mr. Cruise because you feel like you are right there within the scene. (How did his "people" allow him to go through something like that?) Now I suppose if you have a fear of heights, you might want to cover your eyes but try not to during this scene. It really was one of the most spectacular stunts I have EVER seen on film. This will not be the same on the TV screen, IPad or laptop, trust me.

Since this is a thriller I won't go into any detail about the story. However, I will say Ethan Hunt (Tom Cruise) and his team were given a mission, that they chose to accept, and you are along for the thrill of a lifetime. Also, Simon Pegg (yes, I am mentioning him again) was the great comic relief in this movie, which was needed because your heart pounds so much that you'll require a break from the tension.

The fourth installment of this series got back to what I enjoyed from the first Mission: Impossible: action, adventure, thriller and no romance. Okay, ladies you might be mad at me for saying that, but there was not a romance story line connected to this one and I was relieved. Well, maybe there was a little one. The second and third installment went too much into a lovey-dovey tale for me with Thandie Newton's character in MI2 and Ethan Hunt's wife in MI3. Now don't get me wrong. I LOVE a good romance but these movies didn't need to cram in another genre to make it watchable for the female population.

I really don't want to say any more about Mission Impossible - Ghost Protocol except to say that if you are gadget nut you will enjoy this movie - a lot. I believe even Q and James Bond would have a difficult time containing their excitement at the amount of cool electronics in this film. There that's it. No more. Now go enjoy this film.

My favorite thing: Simon Pegg - really! He was in this a lot more and he better be in the next one.

My least favorite thing: That I actually got a little teary-eyed at the very end. What? You will just have to see why.

Rating: PG-13