The Mist - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Mist Reviews

½ May 22, 2008
This was a good movie, tense and strong till the end. I am sorry but as a father of two kids the ending was just not appropriate in my eyes.
½ July 28, 2008
The best way I can sum-up this film is: it's intense. There's nothing particularly extraordinary about the acting or dialogue but the interesting characters (particularly the religious fanatic played by Marcia Gay Harden), the mysterious unnatural mist, and shocker ending are more than enough to recommend this one.
FiLmCrAzY
½ January 1, 2008
For me it was a typical stephen king horror that i knew from the start would be boring, slow and nothing explained and i was right ! Not with the effort of watching!
December 2, 2007
OK this is nothing like John Carpenters 'The Fog' but its allot like 'Aliens' in places. The story is kinda cool, not too original but the creatures look dreadful and very rubbery haha all the effects are very 80's and the whole thing is basically a bad B-movie, yet it does work to a degree.

Its not scary but it does get you thinking and you wanna know more. Where do the creatures actually come from? why the fog? how do the humans get rid of them? what are they? etc...it begs for more info. The cast is cheesy as is the screaming snacks that are the residents and its all very predictable and cliched. Still its a fun film that begs for a sequel really. Oh and the ending is pretty much a downer haha you'll either love it or hate it but its different :)
DreamExtractor
August 17, 2011
The Mist is a great horror movie another another great adaption that Frank Darabont has done on a Stephen King story, but they are not as great as his previous adaptions. The story follows a group of people hiding in a supermarket from a mist that has something hiding in it that may be the end of the world. The plot of this film is about surviving, although we have seen that kind of movie before this is one of the few to get it right, it was cool seeing the different kinds of reactions to this experience and how some people have denial to what is going on, but most importantly of the fear that there is no hope, it has a variety of characters that each have their own personalities and it made the story even better, a very well done story and I enjoyed it. The cast is probably my biggest problem , its not that they were bad but the problem was that their really was no performance that touched me or made me grow to care for them which I have done in previous Darabont films, its not that I saw bad performances, just not very memorable ones. The special effects were pretty good, the monster effects were about as good as I expected and I enjoyed it. The Mist is a movie that people will enjoy, some people do not enjoy the supernatural survivor films like this and War of the Worlds, I do not always enjoy them either like the film The Happening which I hated. But overall it was a film that many people will enjoy and some will hate, as for me i enjoyed it but it just did not live up to the genius of past Darabont films.
cosmo313
½ March 21, 2010
A wild storm rocks a coastal Maine town, and, as if the aftermath, including extensive damage and power loss wasn't enough, the town becomes eveloped by a strange dense mist populated by some horrific monsters. As a group of the residents struggle to deal with these mysterious and terrible events while trapped in the supermarket, they also find themselves battling their own fears, paranoia, and issues with one another- stuff that could be more damaging than the supernatural horros lurking outside.

The film is loaded with B-sci-fi supernatural horror elements, but it doesn't have the complete feel of that sort of thing. It's really a pretty good study of human nature in the face of crisis and disaster that just happens to feature all manner of weird and creepy creatures, usually of the prehistoric, insect, and arachnid-esque varieties.

The production values are terrific. The film is overflowing with an eerie atmosphere, creepy mood, and dark tone, and there's an abundance of tension, suspense, and some genuine shocks and scares. The gore effects, when presents look great, and the spooky stuff is really effective. The creatures, when shown briefly, from a distance, and not clearly, look great. When seen closer up, with more clarity, and for more than a few glimpses, they don't look as good, and it makes me wish the CGI could have been a little less fake looking. Practical effects would have been better.

As far as acting goes, well, Thomas Jane is the main protagonist- a typical square jawed everyman just trying to be as practical as he can, even if his choices don't always work out. He does a decent job, but it kinda feels a little thankless, and he almost seemed too rugged and not ordinary enough. Marcia Gay Harden is a scene stealer as the typical unhinged religious zealot, and she does decently enough given the material, but at times things get a little too nutty and over the top. Andre Braigher is a good actor, but his character seemed a little wasted and got on my nerves. For me though, a couple of the best crowd pleasing moments are provided by Toby Jones and Frances Sternhagen as the meek assistant manager of the supermarket and an elderly schoolteacher, respectively.

As far as plot speculation about the origins of the events go, they're okay, but didn't grab me as much as they probably should have. I think I would have been happier with a lot more ambiguity. Not necessarily on the level of The Birds, but that wouldn't have been a bad place to try for. The ending is significantly different from the one that closes out the Stephen King novella this is based on, but, even thought I haven't read that, the change makes for one hell of a shocker.

All in all, this is pretty solid. Darabont has made (to date) 4 feature films, three of them being adaptations of Stephen King stories, with this one being the only one that delivers typical King stuff as opposed to his less frequent, but still good "straight" work. The film has subtext and tries to be more than just schlock, and that's fine. It's not great, but it is pretty entertaining and very watchable, despite it's shortcomings. I give it a strong B.
October 25, 2011
Old School. Loved it.
August 27, 2011
The Mist is one of the most well known and well made Survival Horror movies. The plot takes that a bizarre mist appears over a mountain after an extreme storm, which turns out to be a... well, let's just say that the mist isn't exactly the kind of mist you're used to seeing. There are... "things" in the mist, and they will tear you apart in a gory fashion. What I liked the most in this film is the ways people die in this movie. It's very creative and bloody, of course. I also like the fact that there are three different styles in which a character can die in. A: They die on-screen without mercy. B: They die off-screen with us only to hear the shrieks and screams they make while they die. Or C: They walk off into the mist, leading you to wonder if they died or not, and it is sometimes never revealed on what happened to them. There aren't really any quotes that this movie has, if you can except the part where the protagonist says "There is something in the mist..." but despite the lack of quotes, there are a number of famous scenes (Mainly the shocking, yet emotionally moving, ending) such as the scene where a man goes to get a shotgun out of the back of a truck, so they tie string around his waist to make sure if he survives or not. When the string jerks back and fourth, they pull him back to save him, only for the lower half of his body to still be connected to the string. Possibly the most important theme of this movie is that it's highly religious, as there is one woman (who you'll no doubt hate due to her insanity) he thinks that the mist is due to people thinking that God is a fool, and that he is raining down his wrath onto everyone in the world. Of course, the story is much better than that, like I said, she was insane, so the mist has nothing to do with God or Jesus or anything biblical in that nature. Oh, and before I leave, I must say that this story is truly a thrill-ride, and is not for the easily scarred or the faint hearted. Great, scary, and gory movie. Treat this with respect.
½ June 11, 2009
the mist turned in a stellar performance portraying itself. Thomas Jane doesn't have a syringe in his arm this time. Nebraska's bravest senior citizen couple gets mercilessly assassinated in the forehead by a deranged schizophrenic. That kid from Pete&pete plays some cashier. you know not the fat pete but the other one.
TheDudeLebowski65
½ March 5, 2011
The Mist has got to be the best Stephen King adaptation in a long time. Directed By Frank Darabont, a man who is able to bring a King story to screen with an almost flawless direction directs this jaw dropping horror film. Darabont previous adaptations of King's works are simply brilliant, The Shawshank Redemption and The Green Mile speak for themselves. I have read The Mist by Stephen King before seeing this film. The story was republished as a novella and I decided to read it. I found the novella was very well adapted to the screen, except for the ending, which was of course changed for dramatic effect, everything was superbly adapted from King's story. Darabont always keep the essential essence of a Stephen King story, and it's the main reason why he is able to successfully interpret Stephen King to the screen, the understanding and respect for the material ,makes him really the only man to able to direct a near flawless King story. Sure there are others who have succeeded in creating memorable andf great adaptations, but Frank Darabont is the best. The Mist tells the story of a military experiment gone wrong and then it opens a new dimension where creatures come out of a mist. Survivors gather in a grocery store and try to survive.This film is filled with terrific horrifying elements, great acting, considering that Thomas Jane is in this, he delivers a good performance. The Strength of the film as I've said relies on Darabont's faithfulness to the source material. Overall this is a strong Horror, one of the best in recent memory. On a side note check out the director's cut of the film, it is in in glorious Black & White, and I feel it adds a more terrifying quality to the tone of the picture. Not to mention it echoes the classic monster films of the 1950's. A terrific addition to the horror genre. Horror fans should be pleased, I definitely was.
January 23, 2011
I loved it. All of the Stephen King adapted films are great. This one is the best. It's so suspenseful and with a really sad ending.

Grade: A
August 21, 2010
"Well...we got four. Four bullets."

The Mist is probably my favorite Stephen King adaptation. When military experimentation opens a door to another dimension, a small town in the northeast U.S. is swiftly and completely blanketed by a thick fog. A fog inhabited by terrifying creatures that may mean the end of everything. A group of people trapped inside a supermarket must then try to survive dangers both external and internal.

Since this is based on a King story, you know that there's going to be more to it than just monsters killing humans. Conflict between the people in the store is just as much of a threat as the horrors of the mist, and outsiders versus the town natives and misguided fanaticism brought about by fear are two of the major themes of the plot. It's nice when a horror movie is interesting beyond the usual shocks and gore, and that's one of the strong points of The Mist.

I thought the creature designs were good, if not amazing. They looked suitably frightening for the most part, and the actors did a good job of reacting to the beasts, which is always important with CG creatures. Another strong (and very King-esquire) point was the ending, which was absolutely fantastic. I think this would be worth seeing for the ending, alone.

The Mist gets a full recommendation from me. It's horrifying (if you have a aversion to spiders like me, you will be permanently scarred), and has that trademark Steven King vibe that elevates it beyond typical horror. It's been a few years since the first time I've seen it, but it still was just as entertaining the second time around. That's about the best compliment that a horror movie can get.
February 4, 2010
It was very interesting to see what was going to happen next. Even though the effects were some of the worst that I have seen in a long time, the story and the characters were awesome!
½ January 26, 2010
Not a big fan of King so was a little unsure if I was going to enjoy this adaptation of one of his novels. Well, to put it simply, it is an excellent movie. Ok, so the cgi looks a bit cheesey at first, but soon is up to a more than acceptable standard. The storyline is simple but brilliantly acted and paced well. A good combination of sci-fi and horror. One of my new faves.
December 13, 2009
What an incredible film! Absolutely wunderbar...now I can't wait to read the story, itself.

Review, TBC...for realz.
½ December 8, 2007
After Shawshank redemption and Green Mile, Frank Darabont once again turns a Stephen King story into a film, this time it's real horror. And by horror I do not (only) mean the creatures that linger in the mist that arises in a small town one fine morning, but the reactions humans show when facing what may seem to be the end of the world. Marcia Gay Harden's religiously fanatic character may be one of the most hate worthy ones ever written (even if a little over the top at times), Thomas Jane is, once again after Deep Blue Sea, a convincing leading hero. Sadly, the CGI and creature design of the film is not always top notch, although some sequences are better than others. The intimate play scenes between the characters facing the unexplainable are pretty strong, though. And the ending...well, it's hard not to have an opinion on it. Everyone may react differently to it, but at least it doesn't leave you unaffected and will probably not be forgotten any time soon. One of the better Stephen Kind adaptations.
ScoopOnline
May 21, 2008
The Mist reminded me of the Movie Silent Hill and then again not. Frankly I have never read any Stephen King Books,that is why they are so kind to make Movies

Spoiler Alert:
Fav bit
Driving through the mist, David returns home to find his home destroyed and his wife dead. She has fallen victim to the spider-like creatures.

Heartbroken, he drives the group south, witnessing the destruction left in the wake of the mist and encountering a tentacled beast towering hundreds of feet high. Eventually, they run out of gas without finding any other survivors. While Billy is sleeping, the four adults accept their fate, deciding that there is no point in going any further. With four bullets left in the gun and five people in the car, David shoots Amanda, Dan, Irene, and his son, Billy, to spare them a more violent death by the creatures.

Sobbing, he attempts to shoot himself with the now-empty gun before exiting the vehicle to let the creatures in the mist take him.

He hears what sounds like a creature moving toward him, but it is soon revealed as a self-propelled artillery vehicle, followed by a large contingent of soldiers equipped with NBC suits and flamethrowers.

As the mist parts, several trucks filled with survivors pass David; among them the mother whom nobody from the store would escort and her two children. Realizing that the killings were needless, David falls to his knees screaming while two soldiers watch him in confusion.

IntheBasket
garyX
½ December 1, 2007
A strange mist descends over a small town and a motley band of its inhabitants seek refuge in the local supermarket. Based on a *sigh* Stephen King novella (is it that time of year again?) The Mist was written for the screen and directed by Frank "The Shawshank Redemption" Darabont, and his skillful eye and feel for narrative pacing means that The Mist has a sense of quality missing from many King adaptations. Some of the sequences have just the right amount of tension and some of the encounters with the creatures are genuinely creepy and suspenseful in a way that reminded me of John Carpenter in his hay day. But once again, the Achilles hell is Stephen bloody King himself. The story is shit. The talents of the director and a decent if slightly uninspired set of performances are the only things that obscure the fact. All the ideas are rehashes of familiar old cliches and you can never escape the fact that the creatures are nothing more than badly designed computer generated cartoons. I can enjoy a daft creature feature as long as it has a sense of humour, but King's dour self importance once again means that the film takes itself painfully seriously despite the clearly ludicrous premise. And as far as the famous ending goes, I would also have to point out that if horror is an allegory or has an intelligent sub-text then a comment about futility can be very powerful (as we see in Romero's films) but when its done purely for shock value it is nothing short of empty and meaningless. Kudos to the technical side of things, but Stephen King is nothing but a hack churning out second hand junk and this is yet more proof of the fact.
March 25, 2008
The Mist looked like it could easily have turned into a bad rehash of The Fog but thankfully didn't. Instead The Mist opted to become the first movie in 8 years to actually scare me and put me on edge. It was set up well, the acting was pretty good (as was the cast) and the monsters were pretty damned frightening. A good portion of this movie creeped me out beyond belief and sub-sequentially pushed my anxiety level through the roof the whole time. The explanation for the creatures was pretty cool and you hate tyrannical Jesus freaks, have I got the movie for you! The ending, as realistic and as heartbreaking as it was kind of kept me from totally loving The Mist but it will stick with me. Ah well, getting to see Marcia Gay Harden's character's final scene had to come at some price, I guess.
½ September 13, 2009
Interesting sociological commentary on the ugliness of human nature during adversity, but I don't like the allegorical tit-for-tat killings. Toby Jones' character is pretty admirable all throughout, but the second he murders someone (who kinda deserves it) in cold blood (heh Capote), he gets picked off by the monster. The ending is also a melodramatic mess. I would have loved so much if we just heard the four shots, then faded to black. I get the overarching message about man's tragic flaws, but Thomas Jane's anguished screaming and his line, "They died for nothing," just unnecessarily whacks the audience over the head.