Hallam Foe (Mister Foe) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Hallam Foe (Mister Foe) Reviews

June 12, 2012
Went into this film not knowing much about it. Jamie Bell is great as a young man still grieving from the death of a loved one reclusing himself form reality and watching people from afar. Its odd its disturbing but all together a very touching story of someone trying to come to terms with the death of a loved one.
September 4, 2013
Interesting, comic, uplifting and brilliant.
½ May 25, 2013
Sensitively crafted film about coming to terms with a tragedy while growing up...
January 17, 2013
Rubbish. Boring, weirdly spoken, overindulgent, quirky rubbish.
Like having shit rubbed onto your loved ones by an annoying person who can't speak properly.
½ January 13, 2013
A teenage stalker with enough Oedipal issues to make Freud puke in his soup pursues his boss, a sweet but disturbed hotel manager.
What this film lacks most is focus. At the beginning the plot tends toward a thriller/mystery vis-a-vis the possible murder of Hallam's mother, but the most unbelievable circumstances (fucking his step-mother in his tree house) push Hallam to Edinburgh where we meet Sophia Myles's character, Kate. Myles is a beautiful actress, and as Kate she walks with confidence and wherewithal. With hobbies, a fine job, a sense of compassion, and a sociable disposition, Kate seems like she has it all together. Yes, she's fucking her married boss, and yes, she does say, "I like creepy guys," but when Hallam's stalking, amateur spy behavior is revealed, her reaction defies all believability. I can imagine the film becoming a believable story about lost people who find each other and accept each other's fucked-up-ness, but with Myles as Kate and the dead mother plot stopping by every now and then as though it's checking up on how the film is progressing, the film becomes a muddled mess that has its sexy, alluring moments but ultimately sinks into a depravity that we can't follow without suspending every disbelieving bone in our bodies.
Overall, bad casting and worse writing keep this film from being anything worth watching.
August 28, 2012
Hallam Foe is such a creep, but you will root for him. I don't know how or why
½ February 25, 2008
One of the most interesting, peculiar, and original films I've seen in a long time. Jamie Bell, once again, confirms that he's one of the best yet most underrated young actors working today.
July 1, 2012
the sidekick/mentor from Jumper is a creepy voyeur who thinks his stepmom (Claire Forlani) iced his mom.... then hes creepy some more... then its over without much in between.... another Netflix stinker....
April 29, 2012
Excellent film with original storyline. Jamie Bell is just darling and pulls off a very quirky character in this film. Never a dull moment. Enjoyed it immensely.
April 23, 2012
This is a great little film that seems to tackle pretty unlikeable and damaged people doing often unlikeable things, yet making the audience care about them at the same time.

Jamie Bell gives a fantastic performance in the title role, a troubled teen grieving the death of his mother, with seemingly endless Oedipal feelings towards her and any substitute for her he can find. He is a loner who sleeps in his tree house, and is a peeping tom on just about everyone, including his own Father and step-mother.

In a sort of twisted fairytale he flees to Edinburgh where he scurries over rooftops, camps into lofty bell-towers and scuttles through the subterranean passages of a hotel kitchen, all the while observing/stalking a woman he thinks looks like his beloved mother. Edinburgh looks fantastically gothic in all this too.

Hallam Foe is creepy, yet desperately damaged and vulnerable. He can turn on the charm when he wants to, and Jamie Bell carries the film terrifically. Sophia Myles is also very good as the object of his desires, and there are nice cameos from Ewen Bremner and Maurice Roeves as his guides and mentors in the hotel staff.

The subject matter may be macabre, but there's humour throughout as well as genuine pathos, intimacy and at least some redemption. Recommended.
April 19, 2012
Doesn't seem interesting.
½ April 16, 2012
I remember mentioning in my review of Darkwatch (another movie Jamie Bell appeared in) whether or not he was actually a good actor or if in his other movies he was only the highlight because everyone around him sucked. He was in Jumper (one of the worst movies I've ever seen) and The Eagle (which was OK, but not good either) and he was the highlight of BOTH movies, but when you act alongside Hayden Christensen and Channing Tatum, it's definitely easier to be a highlight. But watching this movie, I can now say with ABSOLUTE certainty that Jamie is a really good actor. I mean I realized this by the time I saw Retreat (again, another movie Jamie starred in) but that movie was average at best so it didn't feel appropriate to rant there. He carries this movie, while it does have its very quirky moments and a solid story, mostly on his back and he does a great job at it. He takes what would've been a good movie otherwise, and turns it into a really good movie with his performance. It's not the best performance I've ever seen (not even close), but he does add a lot of life and heart to the film. This character, while well written, also had the potential to be creepy and unlikable and he doesn't feel like that at all, it feels like a completely sympathetic character that you can root for. Albeit in a completely odd way. But yea a really good movie, not without its flaws, but that's hardly a complaint.
March 14, 2012
I so wanna see this! Sounds kooky & sexy & I love Jamie!
½ March 6, 2012
One of the better british films that didnt get much credit when released. Perhaps, the quirky kinks didnt suit some viewers, but dont take away the character, as they say dont judge a book by its cover. Well made, kept me on edge most of the time in an engrossing manner.
High notes -
Dr - David Mackenzie
Ac - Jamie Bell
½ March 1, 2012
A heartful drama about confusion and sexual obsession. Good directed with a great cast and masterful acting.
½ February 29, 2012
Good movie, a little slow at the very beginning but grabs your attention and doesn't let go through the end. Great acting as well.
½ February 13, 2012
Worth watching at least once.

Favorite lines;

Kate Breck: Sometimes I want sweet. Sometimes I want sour. Sometimes I don't know what I want. My shit stinks. I'm going to die one day.

Oldest Kitchen Porter: I killed a man once. Smashed his skull on a pier. Just so ya know.

Hallam Foe: Look, you're very attractive but I'm very politically committed to the gay cause.
½ August 19, 2007
Maybe I just wasn't intelligent enough to get this movie, but to me, Mister Foe was just weird and twisted. Jamie Bell (who I'll always associate with Billy Elliott) was phenomenal as Hallam Foe, a seventeen year old voyeur, whose mother had recently committed suicide. Unable to cope, Hallam leaves for the big city, where he finds a woman who looks eerily similar to his mother and Hallam starts spying on her. I get that this film was supposed to be coming of age, sophisticated, and meaningful, but honestly, I just found it creepy. The film was choppy, extremely slow, and just when you thought something was going to happen, it doesn't. In Mister Foe, Jamie Bell really does show just how good an actor he has become. Aside from that, this movie is just weird.
January 12, 2012
Weirdest, creepiest, strangest film (in a good way) that I've seen in a while.