Modern Times Reviews

July 24, 2015
82%
Saw this on 23/7/15
I must admit that I do not enjoy the films of Chaplin like the way I used to when I saw them as a kid, however, Modern Times is a socially relevant film from Chaplin that does not have a background score as good as his other films. Nevertheless, Modern Times benefits from the acting skills of Chaplin and Paultette Goddard and also from Mr Chaplin's extreme comic timing. That song he sings in the end is mind blowing and watching that alone would help you understand why he is been considered a legend.
April 8, 2015
I love these black and white, old classics! Why does it seem like they did more with their films when they had less technology available to them? They don't have that ~Hollywood Magic~ that does their effects for them, it was all camera tricks and carefully strategized, one-chance-to-get-the-shot filmmaking and it is beyond impressive.

I enjoyed watching this! Full of cool and clever special effects and plenty of moments to make you laugh. Chaplin did such a good job of creating such a silly little character. The story was creative and fascinating, with imaginative concepts and energetic cinematography. It was a fun watch for sure. Delightfully absurd, yet it did give voice to the woes of unemployment and the voracious appetite of capitalism at the price of some disposable human equipment. Silliness with a sting. I recommend it!

8/10

Bye love you
March 31, 2015
absolutely stunning. Almost perfect.
March 31, 2015
I've seen a few Chaplin flicks and they never seem to disappoint. You know what you gonna get, and it always works. The tramp is back and he get into many unbelieveable situations. It's a girl there, the lovely Paulette Goddard and the story is pretty similar to his earlier successes.

It's a neat thing to hear the machines making sounds, and even a little song by the man himself. Supposedly his first full film with sound, used in a great way.
A super comedy with a serious message. It has aged remarkebly well.

8 out of 10 machines.
May 31, 2014
I have a soft spot for Chaplin movies, and this one is definitely my favourite.
½ March 6, 2015
This isn't my favourite of Chaplin's films, that would either be "The Gold Rush" or "City Lights", but it's a relentlessly entertaining film. It's his first of two pairings with Paulette Goddard, and she's a wonderful match for him. In theory it's a sound film, but most of that sound is just sound effects. There's a bit of dialogue from supporting characters at the beginning of the film, and Chaplin sings a nonsense song near the end, but the comedy is really (with a couple of exceptions) silent. That's as it should be, since although Chaplin made a handful of good sound films, his gems are all silent.
½ January 24, 2015
The greatest Chaplin film ever? I'd say so. Lets face it, who could deny mustering a single laugh out of Chaplin's antics?
½ May 23, 2013
This movie stands the test of time. A silent slapstick comedy about the great depression and factory workers.
February 16, 2015
Creative, fun and, believe it or not, colorfully childish. Modern Times is an ageless classic for all ages, and a true pearl that none shall forget.
March 1, 2008
Chaplin's Tramp character tries to stay employed in Depression times, and makes a best friend while trying to do so. What follows is a mostly aimless series of sketches, some of them work, some of them don't. It plods along nicely until the finale, and that bittersweet ending that shows that you need connections to get work, but all you need to do is buck up and never say die.
January 17, 2015
Evergreen masterclass from the genious Chaplin.
½ January 4, 2015
First intended to be Charlie Chaplin's first full-on talkie before he realized it would be unbefitting to hear The Tramp's voice, Modern Times is his part slapstick, part pointed observation on the far-reaching effects of modern industrialization. The Great Depression was an appropriate setting for the tale of a hapless assembly line worker who suffers nervous breakdowns and multiple misunderstandings that leads to multiple stints at the local jail. However, like most of Chaplin's films the dark definitions get lost in their own subtlety and Chaplin's still-funny onscreen antics. Things get even brighter when Paulette Goddard enters as the homeless woman who joins The Tramp in his fight for survival, as her tomboyish persona melds perfectly and gives the shot of upbeat attitude that cements Modern Time's legendary status. Everything, from The Tramp being fed through a maze of cogs, to the gibberish musical number, to the final title card (the last title card from the silent era) are the stuff classics are made of.
January 2, 2015
Brilliant film! My favourite Chaplin film, my favourite silent film and one of my favourite films of all time!
December 28, 2014
A Masterpiece! Chaplin truly was in a league of his own. This movie is incredibly entertaining, but also has something to say. Chaplin really was an artist, and some of his sight gags blew me away watching this again. It's amazing how graceful he was as well, they is a rollerskating sequence where he just glides, as if barely touching the ground, and he makes everything look so effortless. This is a MUST watch of the highest order!
December 18, 2014
observations of the era when this film was made were put through a light heartedly satirical filter resulting in... this movie.
January 25, 2014
One of Chaplin's masterpieces, mostly because of its unmatched ability to being irreverent and critical at the same time around an industrialized North America and its more dramatic side.
October 31, 2014
A timeless classic, just as relevant today as in 1936.

You have the usual Charlie Chaplin ingredients. First you have the incredibly funny and creative visual comedy. Pure creative genius. Plus you have the usual emotional content.

Chaplin's previous classics - The Kid, The Gold Rush, The Circus, City Lights - all had these and are fantastic movies.

However, Modern Times trumps all those. Not only is it hilariously funny and bitter-sweet but it has social commentary too. Chaplin takes aim at the dehumanizing effect of factory work, and the general way workers are treated. While the picture he paints makes us laugh, rather than make us angry, behind the comedy there is a lot of truth. This satire is still relevant today. It doesn't have to be factories, it could be any workplace.

Superb direction by Chaplin. He is more known for his acting antics and creative scripts but the camerawork here is fantastic.

Other than the all-round Chaplin brilliance, the other standout in the movie is Paulette Goddard, who plays his love interest. Beautiful with an endearing waifishness, impishness and sense of humour, she matches Chaplin step for step. (She was to become Chaplin's third wife shortly after the movie was released).

An all-time classic.
½ October 10, 2014
You wouldn't think a movie like this would serve as such an effective political commentary, but once again, Chaplin stumbles his way to greatness.
September 10, 2014
A great movie, a funny movie, an important movie.