Mondays in the Sun (Los Lunes al sol) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Mondays in the Sun (Los Lunes al sol) Reviews

May 14, 2014
Not bad, but way too long.
December 21, 2013
Excellent portrayal of modern day working class and the effects of globalization on their lives. This film is reminiscent of Italian Social Realist school of the 1950s. Javier Bardem's performance is as riveting as his physical presence.
September 30, 2012
Muy por encima de la media nacional, pero aun asi necesita conectar mas con el espectador al que intenta que se identifique, concluyendo algo valido y con mas forma, o de lo contrario, es mejor abandonarse a la comedia.
September 10, 2012
Los Lunes al Sol (Fernando Leon de Aranoa, 2002)

I don't remember who it was that told me, or where I read, nine or ten years ago, that Los Lunes al Sol (in English, Mondays in the Sun) is a comedy. I want to find that person and hit him in the teeth. Not only is this movie not a comedy, it is one of the most relentlessly depressing movies I have ever had the displeasure of sitting through. Which is not to say it is not a good film; it is quite a good film indeed. I believe, however, the depression factor is ultimately to the film's detriment; it struck me while watching that this is a film that requires multiple viewings to truly appreciate, and I cannot for the life of me imagine a time where I would have a strong desire to watch it again, despite its merits.

Plot: There isn't one, really, to this slice-of-life drama: six friends, longtime stevedores, lost their jobs at the dockyard three years ago. Of them, only Rico (Balade Triste de Trompeta's Joaqu√≠n Climent) has managed to make something of himself‚"he took his savings and opened a bar across from the now-shuttered dockyeard, where the other five members of the group drink for free. There's Santa (Before Night Falls' Javier Bardem), a foulmouthed cynic and the unofficial leader of the group, always looking for under-the-table cash that doesn't require him to do any real work, while trying to keep out of the way of his old employer, who are suing him for breaking a light. Lino (Abre los Ojos' Jos√ (C) √?ngel Egido), the eternal optimist, is always on his way to an interview or a rumored opening to fill out an application. Jos√ (C) (Tambien la Lluvia's Luis Tosar) is currently being supported by his wife, Ana (El Bola's Nieve de Medina), who's been working in a tuna canning factory, but the longer she supports him, the angrier he gets at himself and his situation. Reina (El Crimen Perfecto's Enrique Vill√ (C)n) has picked up a temp job as a security guard, but he's stifled by the unfulfilling nature of the job. Last, but by no means least, is Amador (Mar Adentro's Celso Bugallo), whose wife left him soon after he lost his job, and who spends his days lost in a fantasy world where she's on her way back to him. De Aranoa and co-screenwriter Ignacio del Moral put these guys in the situation, then pretty much sit back and let things unfold as they will.

I don't think it's a spoiler to say this will not end well, especially now, ten years later, and especially not in America. Reviews of the movie posted back in the day on IMDB often end with an imprecation along the lines of ‚...and the viewer will end up hoping he never has to live through this.‚? Fast-forward to 2012, and in the cases of some folks I know, three years out of work is something they saw in the rear view mirror back in 2011. I'm not sure why I put off watching this movie until now (I'm a huge Javier Bardem fan and will watch him in anything), but I'm not sure, having now seen it, whether it would have had the impact on me it did had I watched it when it first came out. Now, I know these people. In fact, some of them are my closest friends; all of us have, at some point in the past decade, been out of work for at least a year (yours truly included). It's funny how the universe works like that. And with the benfit of that hindsight, I will tell you that these screenwriters and these actors have done their damnedest to come up with the gritty ugliness of the situation and present it in as realistic a way as possible. The problem being, of course, that ‚realistic‚? brings us back to where we are at the beginning of this paragraph‚"knowing that things will not end well.

Be that as it may, and with the warning from the first paragraph in mind that this movie may require multiple viewings to get to the bottom of and I can't imagine anyone with a shred of empathy having the fortitude to watch it more than once, it's still well worth that one watch. Especially if you can identify with the situation, even indirectly. ***
August 29, 2012
Undeniably slow-going, but its tough-shit motto is both haunting and darkly wry. "Mondays in the Sun" plays bummed-out with a grin. It fits it nicely.
December 27, 2011
¬°Menuda pel√≠cula! Master scene after master scene of highly intelligent dialogue with believable story line and relashionships. One of the top films on one‚(TM)s 100 best ones.
½ February 28, 2008
Too much stars from everywhere. Hey big critics ! Max. level is 5. what are u going to give Welles,Kubrick, Bergman, Rohmer , JLG's works ?
August 31, 2011
recommended by dipa89....
June 4, 2011
"Les lundis au soleil"
July 29, 2008
For those who don't know the film, it's a social movie about unemployment and how it affects to they people they suffer it. It is a story with really good actors, and it's mainly a story of characters. You can not loose it.
½ January 24, 2010
social, drama, spanish
December 18, 2009
A Bitter and Sad Worldwide Contemporary Story, With Magnificent Performances. Strongly recommended to everyone...
½ November 18, 2009
good movie, Fernando Leůn de Aranoa great vision of common people.
November 16, 2009
Una pelicula que retrata la crisis economica llegando a los 30 y el vacio que se puede tener con una vida tan solitaria y sin los privilegios que el mismo gobierno da o quita. Bastante buena, con unas actuaciones claras y precisas. Vale mucho la pena... el cine espanol, como siempre, tiene algo que decir y algo que estrellar. Universalmente buena.
October 4, 2009
This is a story of jaded dreams, and everlasting tomorrows. The film Los Lunes al Sol is brought together with acting mastery and a tale too timeless to forget. The main character Santa and his friends have lost their jobs at the shipyard. Unfortunately for the people of Vigo, South Korea?s cost-effective ships tore away at Spain?s ability to compete with trading nations at the peak of Globalization. This movie is a brilliant illustration of how to deal with what?s lost. For them, unemployment is simply a means to an end; A way of going through life, even when the road seems different than before. Pride and dignity is immovable and steadfast with the people at the shipyard, however they know it is their way of life to be ? forever changed by the effects of a dog eat dog system.
March 4, 2009
El personaje principal es completo.
January 12, 2009
Um retrato forte e comovente. Atuacoes brilhantes.
August 25, 2008
Javier Bardem is one of the best actors of our time! Luis Tosar is super hot! I found out that he's in a band too (The Ellas). Having been laid off this movie really hit home... what if I was older and couldn't get another job?
August 25, 2008