Mondo Trasho - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Mondo Trasho Reviews

½ May 14, 2015
Would get no stars if technically possible. In order to justify the "disturbing scenes" warning at the start the film kicks off with a man executing chickens. The film starts after this and contains no disturbing scenes. I nearly switched off straight away. John Waters really is a moron. The rest of the film is meant to be in the style of a silent film and I wish it would have been instead of the terrible recordings of surf rock and rock 'n roll songs spliced together like a suicidal jive-bunny who's also deaf. The story is almost non-existant and completely nonsense. All this to, aparently, make us laugh. FAIL.
½ January 22, 2013
this movie could be shocking in the 70s, but has aged poorly.
nowadays it feels silly.
August 26, 2012
Unique, disturbing, and slightly boring for a John Waters film but I still like it!
½ July 22, 2012
I found it kind of boring, but it's hard to judge this film accurately 'cause it's so weird. I only cared about Divine, really.
½ April 17, 2012
If you get past the first 5minutes you've done pretty well. Still shocking and challenging to watch Waters created an interesting art-house flick with an all music soundtrack replacing any voice work. All Waters later elements are here with strong emphasis on perceived sexual, moral and social deviancy.

An interesing look as underground film making in the 60's and for Waters fans an early look at many of his Dreamlanders first film roles.
½ September 6, 2011
Funny piece of crap. Divine is, as usual, great. I specially loved the Virgin Mary apparitions. The film goes nowhere and that's just good enough for me.
½ August 26, 2011
My least favourite of the John Waters' films, amateurish and only bits were funny. I found it quite disturbing to be honest
August 29, 2009
John Waters first full length feature, and known to his fans as "the gutter film" (although all of his early works fit that description) because it was in fact filmed in gutters, laundromats, seedy back alleys and various other desolate areas in Baltimore. The story follows a fashion fanatic and her dead hit and run victim through bizarre, perverse, and filthy scenarios including a meeting with a foot fetishist who gives her a "shrimp job" (toe sucking), nude hitchhikers, a laundromat miracle, a mental institution inhabited by topless dancers, and a doctor named Dr. Coat Hanger who performs weird chicken foot grafting operations. Very odd indeed, but classic John Waters in it's execution. The only downfall is the running time. Since the movie has no real dialogue, instead old 50's rock records play over the entire film, it lags in some places. I think the film would have worked better if the length was cut in half. But with that being said it's still a fun watch and a must see for hardcore John Waters fans.
May 22, 2009
Utterly idiotic and utterly hilarious. Grass helps.
June 16, 2009
"Is that a boy or a girl?"
Bizarre, surreal, and just kind of all around kookiness that you'd expect for the first full length movie from John Waters. The best part is the hilarious dialogue at the very end. I saw it on video and I must have hit rewind about a dozen or more times. Made me and my friends laugh each time...the joke just never seemed to get old. "Let's wait for the bus some where else!"
June 20, 2008
You have to know about this movie to appreciate can't just happen to watch it
May 20, 2008
I've started to watch it 2 times now, but I just can't get trough it.
March 6, 2008
I love this movie but it's kind of early for JW, still great though! I <3 shrimpers!
November 30, 2007
Surreal e muito subversivo (quando ainda não era moda o ser no cinema).
Pena que não tem diálogos.