• PG-13, 2 hr. 13 min.

71% Dallas: Season 3
62% Under the Dome: Season 2

Moneyball Reviews

September 25, 2011
boring and way typically fast talking. The story would make a better documentary than a film. The actors are game but they aren't given enough material to work with.
Denis M.
September 13, 2014
Immensely inspiring and thrilling,Moneyball is the true story Billy Beane,manager of Oakland A's,portrayed amazingly by Brad Pitt as he tries to ensemble a team ,with low budget, that can win the championship.
July 2, 2011
When you see the film for the first time, you'll probably be rooting. This wonderful biographical smart drama is the best baseball film yet on the thinking with both Pitt and Hill performed well. (A)

(Full review coming soon - with better wording probably)
September 8, 2014
Casey Beane: "Just enjoy the show". Moneyball is about Billy Beane, the general manager of the Oakland A's and the guy who assembles the team, who has an epiphany: all of baseball's conventional wisdom is wrong. Forced to reinvent his team on a tight budget, Beane will have to outsmart the richer clubs. The director of this movie (Bennett Miller) who also did Capote and his upcoming movie called Foxcatcher. Well the director did more then a great job or a fantastic job, this guy is a master class of directing and I mean that a lot. Brad Pitt,Jonah Hill and Philip Seymour Hoffman acting in the film was superb, the writing was well written and the characters actually feel like really people and not movie characters and you got to give the writers and the director respect for that. Am not going to give this movie a 5/5 star's because is this the movie that am going to watch over and over again, well no but I still enjoyed the show.
February 12, 2012
This is a very strong adaptation with subtle performances from Pitt and Hill. I would recommend to sports and non sports fans alike.
June 27, 2012
An interesting alternate take on baseball. The focus on the team succeeding was lacking I thought. Jonah Hill does not stand out but Brad Pitt does a decent job.
Julian T.
September 2, 2014
The best film of '11 hands down and (aside from 'The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo') it wasn't even particularly close. My thoughts that this is a masterpiece must be taken with a small grain of salt as I am a baseball fanatic who vividly remembers these events happening in real life, but regardless, it is just an extraordinary film.

As I said, the fact that I remember all this actually happening (down to the details of the trades, the media coverage and the 20 game win streak) adds a great amount of value. All the names, meetings, transactions and confrontations actually did happen, and the fact that its a 100% true story adds to the films value exponentially.

Aside from my attachment as a baseball fan and its historical truths, the film succeeds on every level simply as a film. The acting is top notch all around. Brad Pitt is absolutely on his A game, bringing the real life Billy Beane to life flawlessly. Veterans like Hoffman, Wright, Pratt and Jennings are all excellent in supporting roles, but surprisingly, it is Hill who steals the show as Peter Brand, the man who was actually the brains behind the Moneyball philosophy.

The script is spectacular, sticking very close to the book from which it is based. It creates multi-layered characters who just pop off of the screen. The direction is terrific, splicing real game footage with reenactments which are pulled off flawlessly. Its overall execution, cinematography, scoring and story flow are just great.

Another thing that helps this movie greatly is that it isn't one of those typical 'feel good' sports movies. Its actually kind of bleak and does not leave you on a high note, which I respect alot in a genre known for happy endings. It has a very 'The Social Network' sort of feel to it. Kind of brooding and introverted. That isn't to say that its dark by any sense because its actually very funny, but it is seriously taken, and a serious film at its core.

The only negative I can think of isn't a gripe with the movie, but rather its timing as far as where the A's are at right now, and its contributions to building of a false legacy. The fact of the matter is that Moneyball doesn't work. There's a reason the A's won in 2002 and 03, and it wasn't because of sabremetrics, it was because of something called 'The Big 3'; three ace caliber starting pitchers Tim Hudson, Mark Mulder and Barry Zito who were flat out untouchable during their years with Oakland in the early 2000's, including Barry Zito's Cy Young award winning '03. This movie (like the book) hardly mentions them despite their being the actual backbone of the A's winning ways rather than the Moneyball formula. The A's have been to the playoffs once since '03, and at this current time are the laughing stock of baseball and appear to be headed out of Oakland. Looking back on it, a baseball team can simply not be built on these numbers. All of Beane's detractors in the film are completely and unequivocally correct when looking at the whole story, which really dampens the overall message of the film.

Of course these gripes have nothing to do with the film itself which is brilliant and more than rightfully deserving of its 'Best Picture' nomination. While being a baseball fan will most certainly help, it is by no means a qualification you'll need to enjoy this terrific film. Perhaps the greatest baseball movie of all time, and I don't say that lightly.
September 11, 2011
One of the best sports movies I've ever seen.
August 26, 2014
For a film about baseball statistics it's strangely compelling.
August 23, 2014
Its one of the best work from Brad Pitt......and also its one of the most moving and endearing sports flicks I have ever seen!!,...smarter than any sports film !!!! filled with special performances ,I got to mention Jonah Hill!!...,its funny and unforgettable!!,..its based on a true story about a former baseball player,Billy Beane( Brad pitt) who was a failure at his game and later became the coach of Oakland Athletics ,...the team was a huge failure resulting in a tight budget,..instead of the usual system of buying big players,..he meets with economics geek Peter Brand(jonah hill) and develops an awesome partnership to use a mathematical theories and statistical analysis to buy players for very less money, undervalued players who are good at base for a budget that they can afford and build a winning team!!.............its comic and heartbreaking event that happened in 2002,.....where Oakland A's rewrote baseball history,....and Brad pitt gives a performance of a lifetime,..backed up by a very smart script and cool dialogues !........overall a deliciously smart affair , one that is heartbreaking at the end,..but very moving indeed!!!,...its easy 4 and a half outta 5.......a must watch!!
ajaymuthecooldevils
ajaymuthecooldevils

July 23, 2011
Never I seen Brad Pitt performance better than Hoffman to be honest, but when you saw 'Moneyball', you'll convinced that the real star and the only star of this movie is Brad Pitt himself. Not only he delivers a strong performance as Billy Beans but since this movie is all about Billy Beane, Pitt's factor really bring it out.. While the element of surprise came from Jonah Hill's performance which is surprisingly good, but to be honest if I can vote whether he should receive an Oscar nomination or not, well I vote for another actor.. But overall, 'Moneyball' is an interesting drama about sports with good performance from the cast
Ethan Perregaux
June 9, 2012
A slow paced drama about a smart coach who brings a baseball team back into contention.
September 25, 2012
No acabo de detectar que es lo que tiene o como lo tiene, que la hace funcionar a todos los niveles y resulta fascinante, cuando tendria que haber sido another sport movie.
Cle S.
August 15, 2014
For someone like me who isn't interested much in Baseball, the movie still has its appeal. Especially Brad Pitt's ambitious performance in the leading role lifts it up over tons of other Baseball films which I definitely will never experience. Jonah Hill also does a great job as nerdish assistent that earned him his first Oscar nomination.
October 3, 2011
Amazing movie! Very intelligent and very interesting. I personally don't like baseball at all and I don't know anything about the sport, but I still thought this movie was amazing. Billy Beane really changed the sport of baseball forever. Jonah Hill also gave a great performance. It's amazing that this is based on a true story!
August 12, 2014
One of the better baseball films. Jonah hill continues to surprise me as an actor.
December 24, 2012
Brilliant performances by every cast member, an awesome script and fantastic direction. Moneyball is the best sports drama ever made.
August 7, 2014
An exceptionally emotional and intriguing baseball movie of a more modern time therefore making it relatable.
February 15, 2014
Moneyball is not just the best sports movie I have ever seen, but it is also one of the most intense love stories I have ever seen. It is man who loves baseball, played it and manages it, and wants to take on the unfairness that has blackened the "children's game" heart -- rich teams poaching the players from the poor teams. The dialogue is incredible while the characters are outstandingly played. This one of the best movies I have seen in a while.
July 8, 2012
(First and only viewing - 7/10/2012)